Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to find a donor car....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Indychus, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

Nope, still on the hunt. He had someone give him what he was asking yesterday afternoon.

I might just save up a bit more and buy a clean 2dr so it's easy to sell after I strip the driveline.

2. I know the 1978-87 G-body cars (cutlass, monte, regal, malibu, etc) are excellent donor cars nowadays for 49-54 chevies since those cars can be found rather inexpensive often $500 or less i have paid for numerous running g-bodies which often always have a SBC, OD trans, 10 bolt diff that fits nice under 49-54 chevies along with numerous other parts you can make work on your car. If you are still wanting a 6cyl then you can find a inline 6 engine for sale and bolt that up to the combo from the g-body donor car.. just my 2 cents since ive been using these as donor cars for a few projects in the past already. To find these cars i often see them laying with flat tires in parking complexes or in drive ways which usually indicates the owner is tired of it resulting in being able to purchase the car for wrecking price after knocking on the door..

3. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

Wow, I had completely overlooked the g-bodies... no use for the SBC, but the trans and rear would be nice. thanks for the tip!

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It does sound sort of whiney. Keep your eyes open, and be patient. I drove by a '93 Chev conversion van in a guys yard for weeks while I was looking for a donor for the Diamond T , with $1,500 or OBO painted in the windshield. I finally stopped, ended up buying it for $800. Had half a tank of gas in it. Drove it for a week (untill it was out of gas), stripped the 350/4L60 and wiring harness, front suspension, gas tank and Reese frame hitch. I gave the rind to my buddy who stripped the captains chairs, interior upholstery fabric, and misc. for his project, loaded remains onto his car trailer and I got almost $300 for the rest. The wheels went on my '48 Pontiac convert along with a set of new tires we won at a car show, the suspension, gas tank, fuel pump, steering box, went under the Diamond T, and dthe new battery ended up in another car. I still have the 350 for a future project, helped out a buddy, and have a pile of misc. bits left yet that'll come in handy some day. Start looking, and be patients.

Brian

5. Yea, what he said. I call some of the neighborhoods in my area "the happy hunting grounds". Keep your eyes open and don't be afraid to stop and ask when something with potential looks "forgotten". Always carry a couple crisp $100 bills in the little pocket in your wallet. It's amazing what you can drag home once you show someone cash.