Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to? Door glassin '32 5-window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirty Dug, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

After five years driving it's time to install the door glass in my '32. I have all the hardware and regulators. I just don't know where to start. Do the fuzzies go in first or with the glass? That's just one question. Can anyone give me a step by step? Thanks in advance...

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Has anyone done this?????

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

NEVER DID A glass 5W :confused:

But on my 32 3W, the fuzzies went in first. the tract on the glass was attached to the glass and then lowered into the door. A lot of @#^& words later I finally had the glass installed and the glass going UP/DOWN.

The other side took about half as much time and about half as much @#^& words. :D

[​IMG]

I will end up installing the glass in this HENRY 5W ... but the access is much easier so I expect less issues than my 3W ... ( with such small access holes ).

:D:D

[​IMG]

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Thanks, what did you use to attach the glass to the track. And how do you know if it's in the correct position for and aft?

5. You attach the glass to the bottom channel with glass setting tape from your local glass shop. Put the setting tape in the channel, then squirt some motor oil on the setting tape, then press the glass. Do all this after you determine the proper glass location location by mocking it up in the door and marking one end or both with masking tape.

Charlie

6. Make a wood template first (at least i did so i wouldn't break the glass). Lay the fuzzies in position and sit your template (or glass) in the rail, wind it up and down to see if your template is in the right spot in the channel (for and aft), then index it.
    Take the channel out and install the glass to it for good as Charlie Chops describes above, then install your fuzzies. Wind the glass up to set the top section of the fuzzies then wind it down to set the bottom.

This is the way i worked it out to do and turned out a dream.

Hope this helps..

7. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Now I'm starting to understand why it's taken me 5 years to get around to this. Great idea about using a pattern first, thanks...

8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

So, the fuzzies go in with the glass and not before? I just tried to get the template in with them in and there is no way that's going to work. Anyone?

9. Danny G

Danny G

I put my fuzzies in and put my glass in from the top. You can pull the top of the fuzzies to the inside and start the glass.

10. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Thank you. That sounds very doable. It's damn cool getting advice as I go, should at least have the driver's side in tonight. My doors are made up from three bad doors and both had missing track but I was able to salvage enough parts from all of them for both to be now complete. It's going to be great to finally have roll-up windows!!

11. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Thanks for the help so far. But one last question...Is the window regulator installed after the glass is install and held in the up position. There doesn't seem to be any way to install the glass and channel together and connect the regulator with it's in place.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  12. Danny G

Danny G

The regulator went in laston mine.

13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Mine also :)

14. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

To what??????

15. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

So, how do you wind the regulators to align them with the mounting holes on the inside of the doors once the regulator is attached to the channel?

16. To the info being bounced around. I want to be able to find your thread later.
    It will be in my "subscribed threads" folder.
    Also a notification any time a post is added.

Please tell me you knew this.

17. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

After washing the regulators in solvent and a good lube and grease they are now flexible enough to wrangle into place with the windows all the way up. Thanks for the help fellas. Dug

18. 31whitey

31whitey

Yep...

a few years from now Ill be searching for this info...thinking

"I remember some thing Dirty Dug posted about window installation"...

Thanks for the thread, and info.

19. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

After letting everything sit for awhile, last night I put the glass in with the glass channel installed. Now I'm having a hell of a time getting the regulator up far enough to align with the mounting holes. What's the secret to doing this? I know this step must have taken just minutes in the factory in 1932. Why does it seem impossible in 2011?

20. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

21. alchemy

alchemy

I remember having to wind the regulator up and/or down to get the arms in the correct spots on the channel, allowing the regulator to line up with it's mounting holes. You may have it wound too "high" and in normal operation it won't go that high.

Try taping some duct tape to the sides of the window, with extra going up the top and out the window slot. Have an assistant hold these tape straps so he can raise or lower the window/regulator assembly as need be while you try to fit the screws into the mounting holes.

It really is a two-man job.

22. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'll bet they could do it at the factory in under a minute with their eyes closed.

23. alchemy

alchemy

I wonder how many fingers got pinched in the training though?

24. HotWare

HotWare

Doug.....put your glasses on......there ya go....

25. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I even tried that. Next I'll put a bag over my head.