Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how to correctly wash a barn find: explained

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, May 28, 2020.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Depends on who one of the previous owners may have been, and does it have "Original Paint"?:rolleyes:

Bob

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Hopefully " RESTOREABLE"!!!! or useable for parts or you should have left it there.;);) I have 7 cars in the barn. I call them "FUTURE PROJECTS" ! The 6 in the shop I call "NOT DONE YET"!!! lol Larry :):)

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  3. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The "Barn Find" Is A Wonderful Term For Gambling On Great Expectations...Caution... 21272957_2023132657922496_8925773452732647055_o.jpg

4. Every time I sell a car, I park it in my hayshed, empty the vacuum cleaner bag over it, take some fuzzy, dark, out of focus photos of it, then advertise it. There's one born every minute.

scotty t, Lepus, HunterYJ and 6 others like this.
  5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I fixed the thread title so it says wash instead of was. I watched the video and could not believe it when several times those idiots referred to what they were doing as "restoration" what the hell..... It is washing a car carefully certainly not restoration....

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

yes, a misleading term sort of like “Garage Sale”. Have gone to several and so far only the contents could be purchased....:(

Ray

7. I don't care what it is called, any car found in the condition would be great...dirty or not.

ct1932ford and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

@blowby Youve got to tell us about the vette! Man that thing looks cool.

blowby, scotty t and rusty valley like this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

005.JPG 0301200932b_HDR.jpg 0304201331a_HDR.jpg 0301201244_HDR_resized.jpg 0221201125_HDR.jpg
    From what I was told: Owner died last year, left entire estate to his secretary. My neighbor, whose wife is friends with the secretary, snagged it. He had a retired Chevy mechanic replace entire fuel and brake systems, rebuild carbs, tune up, new rubber etc. and get it running. Decided not to keep it, never even drove it. Only washed the windows. Sold it to me.. I of course was creaming my jeans, always wanted an early Vette.

Original 265 3 speed. A few mods, Hurst linkage, tape deck mount, vice grips, speakers in the kick panels.. I haven't had time to play with it yet, I've driven it around my yard just to move it, runs sweet. Plan to just dial it in mechanically, wash it and drive it. Not getting a big block or anything, I already have two hot rods.

Here's a video they took when they drug it out of hibernation. Watch that tree!

005.JPG 0301200932b_HDR.jpg 0304201331a_HDR.jpg 0301201244_HDR_resized.jpg 0221201125_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2020
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I made the pics big... man what a great car.!!!!

11. Brings back some sweet memories.:)
    59vet2.jpg

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  12. @blowby AWESOME find....looks like a barn to me.

scotty t, blowby and Hnstray like this.
  13. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

14. lake_harley

lake_harley

Lots of discussion about what constitutes a barn find, but very little comment on the cleaning process. I guess it would be just crazy to use a big bucket of water with dishwashing liquid and other readily available cleaning products? I wasn't aware that the proper method must include a vast assortment of special cleaners and equipment much less donning haz-mat gear for the process.

I'm glad my stuff isn't shiny.

Lynn

15. Everything I ever owned got washed with dishwashing detergent. Never lost a paint job.

HunterYJ and scotty t like this.
  16. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

O my , they should of put other Brother on Tractor.
    3 times heavier.
    Less Azz Crack on video.

chryslerfan55, swade41 and blowby like this.
  17. I seen a barn find video of something that nobody wants to find in their barn 20200529_220432.jpg

18. dartracer

dartracer

I just take them to the coin op car wash, didn't know there was a special way to was them.

partsdawg likes this.
  19. Damn Paul, your story is broken wide open!! Save those pull tabs to make a chain in your basement. Park your other early vette for a minute and get this sexy beast going! I drove the 57 on memorial day, there was a flock of bald eagles following me! They tipped their wings when we parted ways! The sound of freedom emanating from the pipes was enough to bring a tear to a grown mans eyes. We all want to hear your stories of the 56 on the road!

blowby and tb33anda3rd like this.
  20. I assume it's with soap and water.......right?

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That lawn tractor earned it's biscuits and bragging rights that time around.

Those "Barn find" patina dudes would probably get mad at me as I just about every time I have bought a car that has been sitting that I had to haul home a stop at the quarter car wash was part of getting it home. Took ten bucks worth of quarters to do one a few years ago.
    Back in 1969 when I was at Ft Hood Texas in my last few months of Army life we pulled into a car wash and two lifer sergeants had a little blue and white 55/56 Ford in the wash rack in front of us scrubbing it down with Bon-Ami snagged from the supply locker and a scrub brush. Saw the car cruising though town a few days later and it looked pretty sharp.

HunterYJ, chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  22. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Another member of the quarter car wash brigade. Just wash the damn thing and be done with it.

23. I did find a Blacksmith shop find- '60 Pontiac pushed into the farm shop in 1987 and was there until I bought it 27 year later- set of points installed incorrectly- fixed that which bought it back to life- so not a barn find- 1 owner car-

24. How to wash, putting gas in, stepping on the brakes, steering with a brody knob, we're getting there little by little.

25. A "barn find" is like a "garage find", but has more chicken and pigeon poop.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  26. Believe it or not I scored a “carwash find” years ago! I bought a 60 impala that had been in a closed down carwash for years. I took it home and washed off the heavy layer of dust with my garden hose.......

27. I thought you were going to say you brought it home and dirtied it up in your barn.

scotty t likes this.
  28. The Reaper

The Reaper
    from Visalia CA

I must be Schleprock, the only thing I ever found in a barn , is dust and rat poop !

Sent from my moto e5 plus using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Why all the hate towards these guys? The Vette was not a "barn find" but in fact part of a quite impressive 300+ car collection stored for many years in several warehouses in NYC. These guys have been hired buy the owner to clean the cars up to get ready to sell. They in fact did "wash the car" as the first step subsequently they used the products they market to "restore the finishes" If you look at the before and after the results were amazing. They took it from dingy, grimy, stained and faded to looking like it was ready for a NCRS show in 16 man hours.

tb33anda3rd and chryslerfan55 like this.