Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to clean old gas tank?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by YOLO, Aug 1, 2013.

1. YOLO

YOLO

Anyone have any tricks or advice? '54 Cadillac sitting since 2000.

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

Take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it out.

3. Do it right,take it out and haul it to a radiator shop and have it boiled out in a hot tank. HRP

4. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. zep058

zep058

X3 for the rad shop!

I did my own last time and spent money on chemicals and time wasted for what it would cost to drop off and be done for $100

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. GearSlammer

GearSlammer

take it out, put a nice 3 foot heavy gauge chain link in it, add some chemicals that are harmful to our atmosphere and shake shake shake,shake shake shake, shake your groove thang!.......it worked really good for me,lots of crud came out...

7. And pray that chain doesn't get hung and stuck between the division baffles in the tank. HRP

8. oldolds

oldolds

A friend jacked up his backhoe, strapped the tank to the rear wheel, put in the chemicals and a chain,nuts and bolts. Let it idle in gear for a few hours.

9. txturbo

txturbo

The radiator shops won't always do it. They don't want to contaminate their chemicals....if you find one that will do it consider yourself lucky. I always have to resort to a piece of chain and some phosphoric acid.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. fortynut

fortynut

Some radiator shops will 'boil' it out and then slosh it with a chemical lining that, in the words of the old coot who did my last one, "will hold battery acid, if you wanna fillit up wid dat." This is the way to go. Once sloshed you can stop worrying about pin holes and crap (rust and scale) that didn't get removed stopping up your gas filter and ruining your carburetor. Just sayin...