Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How to cheat and avoid getting cheated! (Pre1965) The old timer's stories....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Throw a couple of new tires inside the car, roll the windows up and park it in the sun for a few days. Restores that “new car smell”.

2. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Some of the ones I saw over the years:

Regrooved tires painted with a black wash made them look new.
    Used motor oil rubbed into the paint. Made that old, dead paint shine!
    Jump spark - Got a cylinder that oils so bad you can't keep the spark plug from fouling? Cut a notch in the plug wire, through the conductor but not all the way through the insulation. Make the spark jump about an 1/8" across the gap. The added distance the spark has to jump increases the voltage and will keep the spark plug from fouling longer.

The worst one I ever saw was from a notorious tote-the-note lot near the shop. The buyer brought in and old Chevy II with a straight six he had just bought. It had a dead miss so we pulled the plug on the dead cylinder and ran a compression test. It registered zero, nada, nothing, not even a wiggle on the gauge. We pulled the head and there was no piston or rod! It had obviously spun a rod bearing.They had welded a plug in the oil hole of the crank to make it hold oil pressure.

3. 2935ford

2935ford

I have had my share of old car buying. From the first to now, always a learning experience but I must say, I have been very lucky never a real bad lemon!
    I'm not a paint, body man so drive train rebuilds I expect with every car regardless what I've been told by the owner. I give the body a real good going over. I often use a magnet but I have bought many cars just seeing pictures. Again, lucky I guess. I'm pretty good at hearing what I'm being told and back out when I don't like what I hear.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A guy I know told about a 55 Merc that had rotted rockers (back in the 60's) and they covered the rockers with masking tape, a little bondo and fresh paint. looked great. I saw him "fix" a leaking wheel cylinder on a truck by taking the brake line loose and sticking brazing rod down the line and melting it and putting the line back on:(

alanp561, Boneyard51 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  5. Nice!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Damn. Masking Tape and Bondo is a permanent fix right. In rural Arkansas it sure is!

7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep in mind that if the dealer/seller says something like "I'll make it up on the next guy" you are the next guy.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    tractorguy and Nicholas Coe like this.
  8. sunbeam

sunbeam

I've seen stuff at auctions that go the other way. Most of the cars show up with very little gas and a buyer will dump stuff in the tank that will make it smoke to get it cheaper.

tractorguy and Nicholas Coe like this.
  9. RmK57

RmK57

Boneyard51 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  10. Nice....

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Back in the day, I knew someone who owned a 55 Ford with a completely worn out 365 Cadillac motor that had just about zero oil pressure. The dirt bag filled the crankcase with Motor Honey to raise the oil pressure so he could sell it. It worked, he sold it.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  12. In the days before Bars Leak and Iron Tite, I've heard of raw egg or pepper in the coolant to stop small rad leaks and gasket trickles.

Nicholas Coe and pitman like this.
  13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

We used small rivets, to eliminate a leaking wheel cylinder! On the farm! Not a car lot!

Bones

vtx1800 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  14. Funny thing was, the general public pulled the same shit on the dealers too, but that never really made headlines. Big difference was most dealers just expected and accepted the shit, kept the whining to a minimum, and cut their losses. After all, everybody knows it's only the used car dealers that are crooked, right? Joe Q. Public would never do anything dishonest...

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My grandmother was the daughter of a livery stable owner, and was one of the first mechanics in Rockvale , Colorado, as the world changed from horses to cars! She told me, many years ago, about dropping the pan on her model T, saving the oil and putting the leather tongue out of her shoe in the rod cap, to take the knock out of the engine. She also told of having many flats, can’t remember exactly how far and how many now, but it was a lot! They would take the tire off, patch, put back on and pump it up by hand! Folks were tough back then!
    I guess the tongue was a little more than .003 feeler gauge. Lol

Bones

16. We used to call that a quart of oil pump.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nicholas Coe and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Your first comment would be more correct if you replaced ‘business men’ with ‘people’.

The second sentence in your quote has it right. It correctly includes all of us.

The ‘public’ is notorious for having scoundrels in it’s ranks. The crap some people try to pull on businesses would make used car salesmen look like model citizens. And the sad part is, the ‘Public ‘ often gets away with it. All that said, there still are a lot of decent people out there, fortunately.

Ray

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Finally! The other side of the story! My post above was made before I came to this post.

Ray

Nicholas Coe and RJP like this.
  19. pitman

pitman

Recall of Studebaker-Ticked-Pink, poured into a 'loose' motor,
    @ ~ 3K RPM.
    Helped quiet things like the home brews mentioned.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

was easy for me to be tricked - teenager, had my '55 Chevy totaled by a drunk - but, drive train good - looked for a running car to transfer to some day - for those of you from So Cal might remember a big time car wheeler/ dealer "Cal Worthington", that used elephants, tigers & more in TV ads - I saw a super deal in one of his ads and talked my Dad into driving about 30 miles to go look at it - he was not happy - at car lot front row was nice late model cars - rest of rows looked like abandoned cars - never did find the car in ad or a salesman that knew about it either - Ha! - did buy a '57 Chevy at Night from a distant used car lot when my Dad was out of town - the salesman knew I loved the car - "told me that I needed to decide fast because another kid just left to go home to get his Dad to come back and buy it" - My Mom said to wait for Dad - I bought it and she was following me home - got about 3/4 of the way home and it died - had to go home to get a tow chain for My Mom to tow it home - she had never towed a car before - not a good day (Night) at my house - once I pulled motor found that it was full of sludge - car dealer did not care - sold "as is" - the joys of youth - Ha!

21. A similar trick by dishonest auction bidders is they will pour or rub a little bit of oil on the exhaust manifold while "inspecting" the vehicle so that it will billow some smoke and smell when it's driven onto the auction block.
    (I swear to God I've never done this......... only heard about it. :eek: Actually I've never been to an auction. :rolleyes: So There!)

alanp561, Nicholas Coe and tractorguy like this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Actually, the bearing shells were 'properly shimmed' with good Bond paper.
    Actually done it, with good results. Monitored the cars afterward, as they were customers of my first mentor/boss.
    I'm a mechanic. I know everything...

Nicholas Coe, pitman and olscrounger like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

One of my bosses, back in the previous century was a little clandestine! They were going to sell one of the cars we maintain at an auction. My boss ordered me to cross two spark plug wires, but remember which two. I did, he bought the car for a song and dance, in crossed the wires, drove like a champ! Being young and needing a job, I did what I was told, back then. Towards the end of my career, I rarely did anything I was told! Lol

Bones

24. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm not old enough to have been around/driving back them but I have purchased a transmission chock-filled with something like sawdust. When I realized this, I was informed about the old-time trick in diffs and such. Also, I bought a car with the main rear brake line that was pulled from a T and plugged. I found that out when I rebuilt the brakes but the car still didn't stop right.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Nicholas Coe likes this.
  25. sunbeam

sunbeam

My grand dad talked of taking bacon rind along for use for a rod or main in their model T if they were taking a long trip say 50 miles.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Boneyard51 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

The best way to keep from getting cheated is NEVER buy anything sight unseen.

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Paint hides Bondo. Oil pan hides bacon under main cap. Rear end cover hides saw dust. Tire air freshers mask bad smells. Sure! :D

Nicholas Coe and sunbeam like this.
  28. Actually, the best way to keep from getting cheated is to never buy anything....

29. Back in the day the 'slightly bent' car lots provided a great service. They were schools for teaching gullible teenagers a 'real world' life lesson. You either learned real quick, or you got constantly fucked. At least the tuition you paid there got you something.

30. tractorguy

tractorguy

Boneyard51 likes this.