Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to charge an engine/chassis crossbreed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I’ve never swapped engines across brands before, and I’m trying to puzzle out the details before I disable a car.

What has me stumped is the alternator/generator/wiring tango. The engine is a 1966 Chevrolet 327 with associated alternator; and the chassis is the 1961 Ford Falcon in my avatar, currently running a 170 with a generator.

So what’s the best way to mate these two insofar as charging is concerned?

A) Mate the GM alternator to the Ford wiring;
    B) Mate the Ford generator to the Chevrolet engine;
    C) Find a GM generator and mate it to the Ford wiring; or
    D) Mate a Ford alternator to the Chevrolet engine.

What did you do and how?

Thanks!

2. Window Licker

Window Licker

I would use a GM one wire alternator and connect the wire to the post on the starter that your positive battery cable is on.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. Yep, that's a no brainer. Easiest by far.

4. I'd have to see the wiring diagram for your car, but if you have an indicator light and want to retain it, use a standard internal regulator GM alternator, 10SI, and one terminal of alternator is fed from the idiot light wire. The other 2 are BAT hookups.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a fan of the one wire alternators but I would run a GM internal regulator alternator and there are plenty of diagrams on the net to show how to hook it up.

The SBC haters are going to have a field day on this one but you might take a second look at how you are going to change the plugs in the 327 after you get it in the car.

The last sbc first generation Nova (and the only one) I changed plugs in took me about two hours after I let the engine cool off to change plugs and it took about four different wrench setups to change them. The engine in a Falcon may be worse than that.
    As for alternator install and hookup There is a pretty simple wiring diagram in this thread on swapping one out where it didn't start out to begin with.
    http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Delco_Alternators.html

6. squirrel

squirrel

Make a generator bracket to hang the Ford generator on the Chevy engine.... :)

Also get all the early Nova parts to swap the engine into the Falcon.

I once saw an early Nova that a guy had swapped a small block ford engine into, it was the easiest swap there ever was. I'd kinda like to suggest you go that route yourself, the engine will fit like it was made for it. With the SBC engine you'll have your work cut out for you.

7. olds vroom

olds vroom

I agree with squirrel , it's way easier to make a new bracket and if your generator works why change it?

8. squirrel

squirrel

heh....the generator thing was the only part of that post that was a joke

9. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 66 Chevy alternator is external regulator. That being the case the easiest is to just land the ford wires on the GM regulator and run with it.

10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'm leaning toward this option.

And yeah, I realize this is a stupid swap. But hey, any day I can be stupid like Wally Parks is a good one (Chev 265 in a '60 Comet). ;)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey, a buddy had that exact swap when I was in High School and it ran like a scalded cat! I've always thought if I ever did a V8 in my '62 62c car it would be a Chev. Squirrel is right though, the Chevy II pan and pickup and such will be a lifesaver on this deal. By the way, the friends deal was done with a Hurst front mount and some pads welded on the frame tops/rails. It was done by another friend who was a committed Ford nut, and it was great fun watching his pain...

12. Nothing stupid about it the SBC actually fits btter than the SBF, done 'em both for other fellas and the SBC was just an easier swap.

13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That's interesting, and the first I've heard of it. Of course guys these days usually do Falcons as SBF-powered wannabe Mustangs; straight-axle gassers; or six-powered cruisers. The SBC is definitely more appropriate for the era I'm emulating (ought to be a 283, though). What makes it easier?

14. Oil bad, engine external size, port location/angle.

One thing that you should consider with the swap is a spring tower brace, it will make all the difference in the world with the way that it handles.

I did a lot of engine swaps and replacements in the later '60s and earlier '70s. It was a way to buy diapers after my wages were gone to rest and what not. You would not believe the donor cars that I used to get small block chevies out of, most built in the '50s and '60s and then disgarded after they went out of style or got seriously crashed.

I hear a lot of belly button etc from fellas that were just not there and don't have a clue what they are talking about. One of the hottest 283 I ever layed my hands on came out of a '55 merc, and older gas class car.

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Thanks P'n'B. And yeah, reading the period Hot Rod issues, it's clear that a 283 or 327 was hot stuff in the '50s and '60s. Of course, my dad always said the same.

16. I would read this before using the 1 wire junk http://madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

Easier? When the Ford bolts in with factory mounts, radiator inlet/outlet, transmount, exhaust manifold or off the shelf headers, wiring, etc? Sorry Beaner boy, gotta disagree with that one.

17. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

As suggested earlier get the chevy alternator with the internal regulator, ask for one from a 1975 v8 camaro from whatever parts store. 3 wire hookup is super simple and put out more power than the early style internal regulator unit. I have used them on old farm equipment as well, tractors, backhoes, etc..simple to wire up and work great. I have not had good luck with the one wire alternators.

18. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Put a 289, or 302 in it you would be alot better off.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'd be tempted to do that, if it aint broke dont fix it....

20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I've been thinking down this route all day, since I discovered Jim Jacobs makes a Generator Bracket for Small Block Chevy that doesn't require mounting to the exhaust manifold. It's intended for narrow early car hoods, but seems like it would be perfect for between a Falcon's shock towers.

Now, the question is whether one can mount a Ford generator to a GM bracket with any ease...

21. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

NO! BigCheese327 is obviously a Chevy guy. SBC in everything has been the logical thing to do since 1955.

22. And your point is?!?! :rolleyes: :D

23. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

You know;)

24. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Despite the handle, I'm really non-partisan; I'd be just as happy with an aluminum headed 390 or something. I don't much care for the looks of the SBF, however, and I don't already have one. I do have a 327 with '62 Corvette dress-up goodies, though.

I didn't come in looking for opinions on the wisdom of the basic swap anyway, I know it's stupid: I don't care.

So, generator brackets...?

25. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

So no Bow Tie emblems????:(

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We put a SBC (327) in a guy's white '60 Falcon in '65. Started the swap at Goodies Speed Shop, on Lincoln Avenue (San Jose)
    Used a bent tube engine mount, nice swap...no room for headers!

Pal 'Sneaky' masterminded a set that swooped forward, then exited into 4-inch collectors that hung in front of the front tires!
    Sneaky said the 'Zoomy' effect would aid in wheelstands...
    Car was super fast, but loose...and like Benno said, tightened right up when we tied the shock towers together. (another 'Goodies Speed 'goody')
    Tube axle got installed later, that car was worth building!

27. aaggie

aaggie

I put a '60 Falcon together in 1968 using a 283 SBC with a Ford 9" from a '57 station wagon. I used Falcon Sprint five lug hubs and a Hurst saddle mount. I had to use a Chevy II oil pan with the front sump and pump with pickup. It was about as close to bolt in as anything I ever built.

It was a long time ago but I'm sure I used the Chevy generator and Falcon regulator.