Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How to channel a coupe body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldBlueOval, Sep 24, 2009.

1. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

I was looking for information on channeling a coupe body? Any good books? or threads on this? (I did do a search) looking for the right proper and safe way to lower the body and make the body mounts. I know every project is different. Just trying to find ideas for my 1931 Plymouth coupe maybe dropping the body 3" down on the rails? any thoughts?

2. Don't know much about a '31 Plymouth, but I don't think it can be too different from most cars of the era. The only thing I can tell you is before you cut out any sub-rails,etc., make sure you weld in sufficient support braces to hold the body rigid or it will make the job more difficult in the end.
    I think Rod and Custom did an article a while back on channeling. Go on their site and check the archives. I'm sure it will be helpful.

3. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

Just thought I would share this .Back in the late 50s, I bought a 29 Ford coupe , to channel the body , my dad & I put the frame down threw the roof opening & bolted the body under the frame , worked good

4. Hello, I just channeded a 31 Chevy 5.5" . Never done it before. Asked alot of questions and looked at a lot of pics and then jumped in. My thought process was that if you are thinking about it, you must have some skills. If you screw it up, fix it. Alot of work but once done, worth it. Good luck.

5. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Here's some pics of how I did my 33 plymouth

Attached Files:

6. That's a great idea! I wish I'd thought of it.

7. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

Super Plus, Thats just cool! Chaz, Thanks for the pictures, thats gives me some idea how it was done. Looks like you used 1/X tube and 1/8x1x3 tube? braced the body before cutting the floor out. I was thinking I could make a tube frame that 's fit the body ruffly a 4'x4' for the flat area near the doors. tack weld it in 4" up see how it looks and adjust as needed and fill in the rest of the supports after? any thoughts or doe's anyone else have pictures and info THanks Joe

8. Custombuild

Custombuild

Hi ya Old Blue Oval just bear in mind the head room you left with. When the previous owner did mine 4" channel and 3" chop may be ok if your only 5' tall I need to get about 6 vertebrae removed to fit in. That's why I'm going to drop the chassis to get the same look. Take a look at the lovely job they did

Attached Files: