Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to build a cool, safe and low-buck hot rod book

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod 49, Dec 3, 2011.

1. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

I'm pondering the idea of putting a book together that would be a complete "How-to" build a cool car or truck and not spend a bunch of money. It will be based on my truck build (Check it out) http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327069 but with MORE pics and descripions. I would also have a section in the back with even more how-to tricks of other stuff not pertaining to the truck, stuff that's cool and helpful. What do you think? Would anybody buy it? I'm very serious about this!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. id buy it.cool idea

3. don daddyo

don daddyo

I'll order mine right away...KOOL IDEA!!!

4. chopo

chopo

its already been produced. its called the H.A.M.B

5. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

Whant pic`s.?
    Have done it allready!

6. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

No bad idea att all.send me a copy

7. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

Then you would start seeing all these trucks at shows that look just like yours. :D

Seriously though, I am always interested in low buck tips that are safe....without having to use a search engine and sift through all the B.S. ;)

8. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Any book about the hobby by "outsiders" is a labor of love, you will get satisfaction out of it but not lots of cash. So have fu.

9. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Lol thanks guys! Not sure what "Outsider" means though.

10. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

If your book has new and creative ways of building a low buck hot rod, I think that people would buy it. I'm always open to new ideas and ways of doing things.

11. I reckon it's a great idea. Alot of people that just brought their first rod or custom would or should love it. I say go for it mate.

12. erlomd

erlomd

wonderful idea, theres not enough of those books...all I ever see is the how to build a hot rod...using so cal speed shop parts...it will look killer but very $$$...sounds great!

13. 85-percent

85-percent

Theres a lot of how to out there written by journalists watching the pros while they're doing it. I think that allows subtle techniques and problems and solutions to be glossed over in the writing.

I prefer stuff that is so well described in text and photos that i could do it myself just from the write up. Not everybody has the talent or drive to do that.

-jim

14. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Hey 85... check out my build, just so you have an idea of what I do. I will do my best to make a book that is very descriptive, detailed and hands on. I'm not a journalist but a pinstriping, lettering, custom paint guy who was blessed with a good imagination and loves building cars! I will try to make it as professional looking and as cool as I can! It won't be a bunch of pictures of shiny new parts that magically bolt together in the next frame, I promise! I've already started laying it out and putting it together so stay tuned!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  15. Drewski

Drewski

The problem with most "how to" books is the fact that usually it's promoting a product for some company. How to weld in this kit, how to bolt in that kit, etc...... When reading your build, it was refreshing to see some original ideas using things that you would never even consider. Speaking only for myself, that is what I consider true hot rodding.

Good luck with the book.

Drew

16. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Chester Greenhalgh did one of those books around 1990. It was titled "How To Build A T-Bucket Roadster On A Budget." I don't know how well it sold but I bought one and still have it today. I would not part with it for any reasonable amount of money even today. Go for it. There are plenty of guys who could use it.

17. That's great to hear, Rusty Karz. Chester's still building hot rods and writing "how to" books. His T-Bucket book is now an eBook at TBucketPlans.com and his new budget hot rod truck book is at HotRodTruckPlans.com

Hot Rod 49, I'd encourage you to pursue your plan. There's always a market for good information on how to actually build (not assemble) a hot rod on a budget. It's a small market, though, and not the road to riches. But if you do it right you can generate enough to help with future builds.

18. Joe H

Joe H

When dad wrote his book on Pontiac engines, he wrote about the out come of years of testing and working with minimum tools or expensive parts. We raced "on the cheap" for years learning what works and what doesn't. It never was about the money, we were not afraid to spend it if we felt it was needed. Don't base your book on saving money alone, base it on knowledge, your craftmanship, and your ability to sniff out a deal. Give ideas where to look for deals or supplies. Not everyone is going to have the same material you did or luck on buying used parts. Write it assuming you would have to buy every piece you used. Also don't use the term, "had it laying around" because no one does. "Check you local scrap yard or check the local adds" will apply to 99% of your readers. And also remember, a bunch of your book will be based on front and rear suspension. Don't assume everyone can weld properly and professional welding skills will be required. Don't forget safety is your first concern.

Something else we learned was that a picture and its caption, should tell the whole story. Most books are read only using the pictures. Pictures must show clear precise ideas or features. I'm afraid writing after the fact will be much harder then you think with out a ton of photo's to choose from. Dad went through 20 or 30 photo's of different light and settings, just to get one good clear picture he thought showed just what he trying to relay.

It was a long process but paid off in the end. I say go for it if you have the time. Its not everyday you get this chance.

Joe

19. Thats how they Built Hod-Rods & Kustoms in the 40's 50's & 60's
    back in the Day when I grew up & was Crusing the Streets

Go for it you don't find many Books out there
    its all about experince and Know How!
    when I was Building

just my 3.5 cents

20. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Hey Joe! Thanks for the insight from your actual experience! I wish I had more pics to play with, but when I did this a book was never the plan. There's actually quite a bit more than just the suspension, but I do push for doing it right and getting help where needed. It's getting closer to where I want but I will make sure I word it correctly as to help everyone! Thank you again!