Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to age rubber?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod_willie, May 8, 2018.

1. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Working on an older restoration. Does any body know how to age rubber?

tom owens likes this.
  2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clay Belt and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

What appearance do you want?

Donut Dave likes this.
  4. finn

finn

Try an ozone generator. They are sold on Amazon for removing (or masking, depending on who you ask) odors from basements and hotel rooms.

Don’t know how effective the machine will be, but I do know that ozone attacks (ages) rubber.

Clay Belt likes this.

5. Sugar and water will make rubber shine like hell , but if not kept up rubber will turn greyish in a short amount of time .

6. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Thanks for comment. I am not trying to age tires. It is rubber bumpers.

7. When I was a teenager we carried them in our wallets,they were always aged when we finally took them out!.:D Seriously heat, sun & ozone and of course time contribute to the deterioration of rubber but I would think WD-40 would hasten the process since it is a water displacement material. HRP

TagMan, Engine man, Petejoe and 5 others like this.
  8. slowmotion

slowmotion

Gotta say, this is the first time I've heard this question brought up. Interested to see/hear the results. Depending on size, would a dehydrator be a possibility?

9. greybeard360

greybeard360

Wipe it down with talcum powder... it will look old until the first rain, maybe after.

10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

rubber hates brake fluid, but I never tried to make rubber a patina project...

11. How do I make my new chrome wheels look old?

wvenfield, MAD 034, Clay Belt and 7 others like this.
  12. williebill

williebill

I've got no idea.....
    Next time you go to your tanning salon, wrap all that rubber around you, and lay in the bed for a few days.
    Sun always seems to ruin rubber stuff... eventually

13. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Are these on a baby buggy?

14. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

I would call some of the tire companies and talk with one of their production engineers. They do accelerated aging tests on tires to see how they hold up and may have a chemical that is available or another process.

dirt t likes this.
  15. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Just wait a few weeks, all the new rubber parts I buy seem to crack and look like shit in no time. Maybe just wipe it down with some of this ethanol blend gas we have it deteriorates rubber in no time. JJ

samurai mike likes this.
  16. Use works real well, I got one that I have used enough that I have wore the ribs off of it. :rolleyes:

I have never considered aging rubber, this could be interesting. I used to wipe the rubber down on my old cars with Ammonia to make it look new again.

zzford and Murphy32 like this.
  17. Hey it just occurred to me that I need a pair of front runners for my crosley and I got some really well aged 16s on the front of it. If tires is what you are after I got that pair and would be willing to trade for some better ones.

18. Let your neighbors dog wiz on them,they will rust fast. HRP

Alaska Jim and zzford like this.
  19. Hell I do wheels too. Whizzed on a gold chainer's wheels in the pits @ the HAMB Drags one year. That prick should have been polite to Katey. :p

20. Rubber is rubber , I am sure the sugar and water will have the same effect on the rubber bumper

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don't know what parts you are talking about or how crappy you want them to look, but can't you find some used ones?

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell just send it to someone in Texas or Arizona and have the set it outside for a couple of months, it will come back aged. Actually If you have the time just set the pieces outside in the sun for a few weeks and they will age. At least the stuff I don't want to age does that.

prewarcars4me and belair like this.
  23. town sedan

town sedan

Okay, I'll bite. Why?
    "Older restoration" you're adding a new part to a previously restored vehicle and you don't want the newness of the part to stand out?
    Compared to the "How do I rust my chrome" thread we're letting you off easy here.
    -Dave

Clay Belt, Doctorterry and Moriarity like this.
  24. belair

belair

is this going on the car the guy wanted to age his new chrome wheels?

scotty t likes this.
  25. indyjps

indyjps

Scuff with sandpaper and take a few knicks out of them, theyll blend right in.

26. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

This should be pretty good around 10: PM est., The "Wheels" one is Great..

27. Yeah, you might check the "how do I make my new chrome wheels look like sh*t" thread......some good ideas over there.

28. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Leave the rubber out in the sun and weather just temporarily, and by the time you get back to the project you'll discover that several years have gone by.

29. Call my gf over,put the rubber on then go to town..
    If i wash it off its good for a second run.

Clay Belt likes this.
  30. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

Ozone and UV light will do the work. A high wattage UV A+B bulb from the petstore will do the trick.