Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to ad an inch to 30-31 Model A engine compartment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveohnick2932, Mar 1, 2011.

1. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Has anyone moved the firewall back an inch in a 30-31 model A between the hood welt and the cowl trim?? I saw so-cal did it on a coupe they built with a y block.

Also... just another thought....

Has anyone seen anyone graft a 32 firewall into a 30-31 A??

Any pics or tips would be bitchin!

2. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

sombody must have something to say.....?

3. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

Reverse the firewall, the 32 in an A would be cool if the dimensions lined up.

4. A Model Art

A Model Art

You can buy a firewall with a built in set back I think it is two inches. This cleans up the fire wall and is relatively easy to install. I have a Ford 302 in my roadster. I bought mine at Mikes Afordable Model A Parts.

5. OLLIN

OLLIN

yup, flip it around.

here's how the back looks:

[​IMG]

and here's the front:
    [​IMG]

6. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I flipped one backwards on a 31 coupe it worked out fine and easy to do.

7. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Yeah everyone already knows about recessed and flipped firewalls, what Im after here is gaining an inch and not even knowing it when you walk up to the car.

8. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

Yes I have seen a 32 firewall in a model A. they usually try to cut up the cowl on a 32-34 ford pickup cab to graft to the model A. but not too much any more due to the increased value of the ford cabs.

9. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

you could cut an inch out of the side all the way around, pie cut it some and weld it all back together.....

10. just cut the spot welds free & slide it back

11. You pull the firewall out and put it back in backwards. its a very old hot rod trick.

12. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I was thinking about trying that. Its got about 3/4" untill it starts to curve

13. k-member

k-member

I know the car, the dk mystery coupe with the y-block. Jimmy moved the firewall back and widened it. then it got a 32 cowl vent.

14. k-member

k-member

i really like that car...

Attached Files:

15. redbeard

redbeard

16. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

did it this way in 65---------
    like the way it's framed by the stock firewall.......

Attached Files:

17. adam401

adam401

I heated the center of mine above the factory curved relief to clear the fuel pump and breather for my flathead. I left the bottem lip wher the floor sits intact as factory. It looks very close to stock this way, not all butchered up. This works if you just need clearance on the top end. I'll try to find pics.

18. k-member

k-member

Since we already have a few responses with y-blocks (my coupe also has a y motor, but is in pre-stage mock, no pics) here are some more pics of firewalls with y block in front. May remember the coupe in RnC about 6 issues back that Marshall put together, one of my favorites.

Attached Files:

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'll be sliding mine back for my Y-Block, as well. I Like the look better than the reversed firewalls.

However, I've seen some cars where the reversed wall looked right at home.

20. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

21. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

Someone already did a major butcher job on mine before I got it.. I'm up
    in the air on if I should fix it or not..

Attached Files:

22. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

btt

I know there are lots of talented people out there!!

23. billthx138

billthx138

Where do you need that inch of clearance? Overall or in one specific location? I too though about cutting the model a firewall out leaving the original band then welding the center section of a brookville flat firewall in, but decided it was too much work. Also I love the look of the A firewall so I just clearance the area that needed it to retain the original look.

Attached Files:

24. I'll say this since people are talking about reversing the firewall, reversing will get you about 4-5 inches at the top and about 7" where in the mid/lower portion where the stock firewall sticks out. I'm no expert, but in my opinion, if you don't need it all, that's alot of space to lose in an A, not too mention the floor, pedals, subrails, etc; if you aren't building from scratch. Seems to me if a solution like billthx138's works, that's the best of all worlds. my $.02.

25. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

We can tell... the pages are all sticky;)

26. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

lol!! nice

27. redbeard

redbeard

Hey Nick,

That sedan I referenced before is at my house for a couple of weeks if you want to look at how it was done in person.

Just give me a call.

Redbeard

28. yblock292

yblock292

i stretched my frame 7 1/2" for my yblock with stock firewall.

29. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Im trying to get 1-2 so that I could (one day if I needed to) put a Y-block in my 31 coupe while still keeping it stock "looking". You might say "you are going to need more than 2 inches to put a y-block in a model a". Well, a while back when I was setting up the flathead in my coupe I took some measurements off a y block and was suprised at how close it was to fitting without doing much. They look long because the huge front cover. It was about 2 inches that I had to move the radiator forward to get it in there, but then I would have no fan. So I thought if I could move the firewall back an inch and make a custom front cover for the y block (like the boat one) and run a SBC water pump I could gain almost 6+ inches allowing the y block to fit with room for a good fan. All that and the firewall would be left alone like Henry made it plus the hood would fit. Another idea is Redbeards firewall, it looks like a 32 and gives you 3+ inches without having the ultra deep un factory looking flipped firewall. billthx138 has another good take take on the factory look if you were looking for some distributor clearance. Lots of good ideas!! I am just looking for more ideas and a way to get others to share or find more ideas themselves. Keep em coming!!

30. -Brent-

-Brent-

FiveOh... what frame are you running? Stock or 32?