Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Strong is Jaguar IRS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOHICA, Feb 1, 2013.

1. BOHICA

BOHICA

I work at a junkyard and just bought a '53 F-100 from my boss along with a '76 Cadillac 500 and TH-400. I'm trying to limit as many add-ons as I can to what we have in the yard to keep costs down. That means no Mustang II, but I should be able to use a second generation Camaro front clip. Since I want to keep front and rear bolt patterns the same, that means going with either a Camaro or Jaguar rear axle.

Even the anemic '76 500 puts out about 360 ft lbs of torque. I really don't think a Jaguar IRS could stand up to that, especially if I work on the engine some. I've had a hard time finding much information on them. Also, we have a '94 XJ6 sedan and a couple of older XJ6s, one or both of which are '88s. I'm not sure if they would be a good fit or not.

ETA: Since these threads are worthless without pics: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v328/diehardtrix/1953 F-100/

2. Had an XKE rear in my ERA Cobra for over 15 years behind a 427 sideoiler. Never a problem.

3. Depends on the tire you run. A pickup is not known to provide much in the way of adhesion. I doubt you wil have much to worry about.

4. 55willys

55willys

A Jag rear is basicly a Dana 44 with half shafts instead of axles and tubes

5. Cerberus

Cerberus

Most of the XJ6 had "peg legs" open rearends.I owned a 1964 XKE with a pumped up 302 conversion, and it had a posi. No issues. Don't forget, Jags came with an optional V12.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They are a very strong rear end, the center section is actually a Spicer as used by Ford and so are the universal joints.

The Jag V12 put out 295HP and they will stand a lot more than that.

7. ninosdad

ninosdad

You can break one if you try hard but as with about anthing but a 9", it is mostly going to be how well you hook up. Should be fine Ive had a couple over the years.

8. Why not find a 84 or older Jag get the whole car as the front clip is a very nice swap for your truck and get the rear end as well only draw back on the Jag rear gears are around a 300 ratio at the lowest but the cad motor should be able to do just fine with that ratio any way.

9. icsamerica

icsamerica

The center section is basically a Dana 44 and the axel shafts and control arms are very durable. The week part is the aluminum hub carrier at the wheel. They tend to crack at higher power levels if you've got the traction. As time progressed Jaguar made them thicker and thicker. By the early 80's they were better but the hub carrier from XJS with outboard brakes has cross webbing where they tend to crack. I cracked an early 80's hub with a very stout SBC 406 and upgraded to the late XJS reinforced style for piece of mind.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  10. BOHICA

BOHICA

Thanks, guys. Sounds like they're definitely stronger than I expected.

However, in light of being geared so high and it being very unlikely that we'll have any limited slip diffs in our junkyard, how about putting a Camaro rear on a trailing arm setup from a '67-'72 Chevy?

11. icsamerica

icsamerica

An Auburn 19 spline LSD is an easy upgrade for the Jag diff. You can reuse your jag gears and make a minor mod to enlarge the bolt holes on the Auburn center or just get a new set of gears. The Jag gears are super quiet. Upgrading to an Auburn is the way to go becasuse you can reuse you jag gears or switch to any gear ratio you want for a low price. The Auburn setup uses a more comon set of side bearings which are about 16$ the Jag side bearing are an odd size and cost much more. It is far less expensive to do the Auburn upgrade then rebuild a Jaguar limited slip.... if you can find one.

12. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Chevy bolt pattern and POsi Trac make it hard to beat

13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That 76 500 Caddy is deliberately underrated for insurance purposes. They have lots of torque. The Jaguar V-12 6 liter is only 366 cubic inches with a 3.1 inch stroke. Not a great torque producer. The car was light so it didn't need it and it couldn't get enough traction to need more torque. Depending on how much weight you will put on it, you might put too much torque into it. In 1970 the 500 in the Eldorado at 10/1 compression ratio was rated at 550 lb-ft of torque.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just a suggestion, but why don't you run a Jag front end instead of that Camaro clip? It's about half the work and twice the handling? Makes a bunch more sense. I personally would run the Jag rear, too. From what I have read around here the XJS sports car variant ran a posi fairly commonly.

15. mattrod68

mattrod68

^^^^^^^^ this

16. BOHICA

BOHICA

We don't have any XJSs, just XJ6s, which are the sedans. I'll look at them, though, when I go back to work next week and see what kind of a job it would be grafting that onto the truck.

Also, I may have a line on a pair of '70 heads. I'll know more on Monday. If that's the case, I'll be putting out a lot more power.

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

A friend of mine put almost the exact combination that you have readily available in a '70 1/2 ton Chevy pickup and I could not imagine a sweeter daily driver. With the low Jag rear ratio it worked out perfect for the lower RPM high torgue Caddy. If I remember right he put over 60,000 miles on it and the guy he sold it to is still driving it.

Frank

18. 55willys

55willys

I agree with "need louvers?" the Camaro clip is not a good handler mainly because the upper control arms go down hill to the outside causing the tires to lean the wrong way in a corner causing loss of traction and understeer. The Jag front is a far better more refined choice.

19. Jag front and rear here with a caddy 500.

Just go do it.

Plenty of threads on "how to" right here on the HAMB.
    Do a search for Jag XJ6

Walkinshaw used to race jags with 600+ HP pushing through the rears end.
    He won a lot of races and didn't smash diffs.

20. Jag front and rear is the way to go . the rear ends can handle quite a bit of power and are dead easy to work on and can be shortened easy inboard disk brakes that work well easy handbake (emergency brake ) and if you have the front end its easy to graft to the f100 frame ..the link above to UK hotrods is good also check out these guys http://www.wisbech-engineering.co.uk/Rear_Axle.html

21. BOHICA

BOHICA

Thanks, guys. You got me to researching it and have turned me on to using a Jaguar full suspension. Unfortunately, they're '88-'94 cars, but we have three of them in the yard, so I'll probably be going that route. According to Hollander, the series III front clip is completely interchangeable with '88-'94 models, except for the rack and pinion, so maybe it won't be as bad as everyone on here seems to think.

22. Good luck with that later front end.
    Wouldn't be my choice but if you have it ...

Rear with outboard brakes will work.

23. BOHICA

BOHICA

Thanks. Hey, if all goes well, maybe I'll be able to show that the later front ends work as well, since I've yet to hear of anyone tackling them. Hopefully...

I'm still keeping an eye out for an older model, but it's one of those things where I have access to the complete car here, can pull what I want, and get a much better deal on it. And I have the VIN in case I ever need to ask the dealership something about it.

OT, but I'd been looking for an NV4500 to put in my '87 Land Cruiser. Come to find out, there was one here all along. I thought it was an NV3500 (never actually saw it and the truck it came out of was a '93 1/2-ton) and never knew otherwise until some guys bought it and brought it back the same day since they were looking for a 3500. Might not be crazy about the job, but working at a junkyard definitely pays off on some days.:cool:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've had no issue with mine behind a pretty decent Buick 425 Nailhead. And I hammer on it pretty good.