Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How often do you guys find one of these?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tomincanada, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I had a 65 Mustang fastback 4 speed in 1987 it was ridden hard and put away wet long before I got it - and I did the same thing with it. It was my high school car and almost twice a week someone would leave a note on it wanting to buy it - usually some older guy wanting it for nothing. I sold it to my brother so I could buy a 67 Firebird convertible and my brother had a guy literally stalking him to sell the car...he sold it for $5000.00.

2. jazz1

jazz1

92 year old guy left note on my seat of truck that he had barn full of '40's IHC same as mine and was I interested in buying. I agreed to meet a few weeks later but he decided he was not ready to sell. I learned a little bit about him from neighbour, none of his stock cars from the '40's and 50's are part of his collection.

3. patterg2003

patterg2003

When I got my first decent car I bumped an old car in a bank parking lot & left a small dent. Snap. Did not know who the car belonged to so I left a note. I got a call later & it was the bank manager. He appreciated my honesty then said that the car was old and full of dents so no worries. Awesome fellow. I had a friend who did the same but did not go well. He left a note on car about 40 years ago & the estimate came in just over the limit to report. The owner wanted a lot more than the body shop estimate or he would report it as a hit & run. Friend was a kid so he caved & paid the extortionist. Sad was we both knew the guy and thought he was better than that.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I say if you don't want to find notes on your car from people wanting to buy it buy a 61 Dodge.
    the closest thing I have ever had to a note about buying it was a guy who said he could fix my rusty rockers..... sure you could buddy.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Dave Downs and j3harleys like this.
  5. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not notes, but verbal. Guys saying all the time, "If you ever... call me", till you say how much you want, then they have excuses about maybe a few months from now. And I can't stand flippers. Flippers that plague you when you are down and out and think they can steal your possessions dirt cheap when you need cash. Can't stand flippers. All you flippers can go take a flying leap.

62rebel likes this.
  6. I am guilty of putting a note on a 1966 Chrysler 300 hardtop the other day. Nobody was at the location which is an old commercial warehouse of some sort. I took a photo of the mailbox for the address and when I got home, I mailed the (hopefully) owner of the car at the address asking if the car is for sale. We shall see what develops....

Fortunateson likes this.
  7. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Last year, I acquired a slightly Off Topic 1966 Volvo 122 station wagon. Drove around town, had Washington state rust underneath, a "50-footer". Several of the local car folks said "If you ever..."

Decided that my 74 year old self would never get this one done, so I called around, even got the price down to $1,000, still got excuses... Showed up at local cruise nights and shows, no takers, even at $1,000. Not wanting to cope with Craig$list, decided to just scrap it

Sold it to Squirrel for $100, as his next trip car. He found the Hudson and one of his sons fell in love with it.

And my project list is almost achievable for a "senior citizen' (Translation: Old Part). A win for all.

8. Story #1: I was fiddling around with the taillight harness in the truck in my avatar when this new Lexus or Infiniti SUV pulls up and this country-club looking doofus gets out, all festooned with rings and chains and the obligatory saucer sized watch, and asks me how much for the truck. No hello, no 'nice truck', no intro, just 'how much?'. Looked up from the floor, looked at him, and at the trophy wife and plain out told him he didn't have enough money. His response was to wave at his new SUV, and says 'Oh yes I do!' . I told him that there was not enough money in the world for me to sell the truck, ever. Moneybags must not be used to being turned down, got all huffy and left..
    Story #2: Was out fishing in our O/T 72 Blazer one day. This kid comes driving up in a beat to crap 72 Chevy truck, gets out and starts going over the Blazer top to bottom. "Do you know how rare a 2 wheel drive Blazer is??" Um, yeah, I do..."Do you want to sell it?" ummmm, no. I'm fishing, don't bug me..Told him an absolutely stupid price just to get rid of him. Two weeks later the kid show up at the house with a stack of $50's and $100's...When I tried telling him I reall wasn't interested in selling me, my queen kicked me from behind the door to bring me to my senses. And down the road it went.
    Story #3: Was visiting my brother out at the lake and had left the windows in the car open. Left for home and took a swig of ginger ale from the can I left in the console and got stung three times in the mouth. Apparently wasps like ginger ale too...Tongue swelled up and I had a mild anaphylactic reaction and wound up in emergency. Got shots for the stings, and Demerol for the pain. I get home and am chilling on the couch when the phone rings. My wife says, 'Oh, by the way, some guy stopped and wanted to know if you'd sell your 57." The sedan was a nice solid driver with a rebuilt 350/TH400. The guy on the phone was that guy. I was all whacked out on the Demerol and just wanted to sleep..Told him a ridiculous price just to get rid of him, and he never even hesitated, just said 'sold". Outsmarted myself again...

9. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I have left a note like that on lots of cars. Mostly at car shows if I see something I really like. I have bought some cars this way. I met my best friend of the last 15 years that way. He eventually sold me his car. Turns out we worked at the same hospital.

pitman, Tim and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So @Tomincanada did you follow up on the note? Curious minds want to know...

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

A long time ago, my pal, Bill, placed a note on a car in a Walmart parking lot that was the same model as my brother's car that was crunched in the rear. This is on a car that is about 150 miles from home. About a year later, he gets a call from the owner willing to sell, sends the guy the money, and dispatches me to go pick it up and drive it home. Coincidentally, another friend with a long distance love affair is driving along that route to his girlfriend way further away so is willing to give me a ride. Also, this car happens to be across the border into the U.S.A. We being the honest type that we are, give conflicting stories to the border patrol as to were we are headed, and we are stuck there until about midnight. Finally get to the car and there is no one home. I'm stuck. My ride is on his way to Oklahoma and I need to be at work the next day. Weighed my options and headed for a motel. At the motel, decided to give the car seller another call and he picks up the phone! Cancelled my room and all is good. This is where I find the reason that the car is now for sale - it has NO BRAKES. No sense letting a small thing like that get in the way so I drive it home. Just made sure to downshift to slow down at the border. Made it home after the sun had arisen over the horizon just in time to go to work.

12. squirrel

squirrel

One guy asked me (in person) to let him know if I decide to sell my Chevy II. No one else is dumb enough to want it, so I've never got any notes like that.

Stogy likes this.
  13. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Bishop Backed Into My Rusty El Camino And Left A Thoughtful Note And Phone Number...I Called Him And He Agreed To Send $600.00 If The Insurance Was Not Involved..He Did And I Pulled The Dent Out With A Toilet Plunger...Only Time The Lottery Ever Hit Me...

Stogy likes this.
  14. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I was at a show a couple of years ago with my ot 66 GTO convert that I had purchased from my uncle who had owned it since 72. I had just gotten it road worthy and this was my first real distance ride with it. I was just leaving the show when this guy cuts me off at the gate with his suburban, he jumps out, says I have to have that what do you want for it? I told him it wasn't for sale, he comes back with " for any kind of money?" I asked what are you thinking and he says well it is only worth 10000 so hows that sound? I laughed at him and said that really doesn't sound like any kind of money. This car is an original paint and interior car, it isn't show room but it isn't junker either. I just backed up and went around him laughing all of the way out of the gate. He just stood there like I was a moron for not accepting or counteroffering him.

15. gene-koning

gene-koning

I was driving one of my past hot rods when some guy stopped me wanting to know how much money it would take to buy my car. I told him it wasn't for sale. His comment was "everything is for sale, name your price". I repeated "it wasn't for sale". He says "everything is for sale", and starts waving money in my face. "This one is not for sale." "Sure it is, just give me a price." "The price I'd give you is way more then it would ever be worth." "Name your price!" So I did, "$200,000!" He had this really funny look on his face (it was worth all the BS), "Why, its not worth that much money!" He says, then he adds, "At that price you will never sell it!" "Exactly!" I tell him.

Sometimes it takes a while to get the message through to some people. Since then, if I'm asked if I want to sell something that is not for sale, I always say "I'd consider it if we start at $200,000, we can go up from there." That usually finishes the conversation. Gene

patmanta and LOU WELLS like this.
  16. Tomincanada

Tomincanada
    from b.c.

I never did. I put in in a drawer. I like my truck right now. Maybe later i will like something else more, but for now my truck is just fine.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Gman0046

Gman0046

A friend had a just finished 36 Ford at the NSRA Nats that was one of the Pro's Picks. A guy came up to him and asked what it would take to buy the car? The owner replied its not for sale. The guy said I understand that, but if you had to sell it what would it take? The cars owner said $150,000.00. The prospective buyer replied I'll take it and will have my man pick it up next week.
    About five years later the new owner called the previous owner and said the car was just sitting in his collection and asked if he'd be interested in buying it back? He did buy it back.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Some older guy bugged me to death about my then unfinished, primered, channeled '31 Cabriolet, Deuce rails, early 21 stud 221, '37 box. I said $1,000 would buy it.
    I was 16, the guy was about 30. He came with cash, all 20s and 50s. $1,000!
    We pushed it onto a low car trailer, and watched it leave. I wasn't sure where this money was gonna go, but stashed it securely in my room.
    The VERY NEXT DAY, 'Carl' came back, my Cabriolet on the trailer, behind Carl's '50 Ford Cobalt blue Tudor, Carl's shaking his head, sooo sorry, but my wife says NO.
    Will you buy it back from me?
    I said, "Sure..." Carl ended up insisting I keep one of the $50 bills, for my 'inconvenience'.
    Saw him once after that, he stopped by and parked on the wrong side of the street. Said, "Come here, quick...New song..." It was Hank Ballard and the Midniters, doing Hank's new song: "The Twist". Chubby wasn't the 'first'!

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I used to work with an ER Physician, who's wife was also a Physician. He drove a red, beat up Datsun mini truck with a canopy. He was always getting notes placed on the windshield or people would stop him wanting to buy his beat up little truck. His wife had a professional sign painter make up a sign, "NOT FOR SALE", that they placed in one of the canopies windows. He still got notes and people would still stop him. A beat up Datsun mini truck? Really? I am Butch/56sedandelivery. Now, how did I wind up with this font???

raven likes this.
  20. 1ton

1ton

Sitting at a gas station. Year, 1990. A guy comes up and wants to buy my 1972 chevelle convertible. Factory 402 bb, th400, posi, A/C, ugly green with white interior. A couple hours later we are in my driveway. Him handing me a wad of cash and I giving him the title. I got good money for it, more than I figured it's worth.. Regretted that move even before he left and still talking about it 30 years later. Damn

21. Never, I think my car is too fugly.

22. Yup.
    Btw do you live in Saskan?

23. Saskatchewan, yes I do.

mr57 likes this.
  24. NoSurf

NoSurf

Every once in awhile I get some guy that just wants what he sees and thinks he can buy whatever he desires. "not for sale" doesn't compute for some. They think because it's not painted or "fixed-up" they can get it for nothing.

[​IMG]

25. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Years ago, like 1973, I had just gotten out of the Army. I was in a local watering hole and ran into an old high school buddy. We had a few and when we came out of the bar I asked what he was driving. He points to a plain jane 63 Ford, the sucker looked like a clapped out taxi cab! We get closer to it and there is a note on it that a guy wants to buy it with a phone number. I started laughing and told him someone must be hard up for a ride, then I see the 427 emblem on the fender and the shifter sticking out in front the bench seat. We go back in the bar and he called the number. He talked to him for a few minutes and when he hung up he told me the guy offered him 5k for the piece of shit Ford. I said bull shit, he is messing with you., 427 or not its still a rusted out old Ford. He told me the guy said he would meet him at the bar in an hour. An hour goes by and we are both shitfaced after being there a few hours. The guy walks in, asked if he had the title, hands him the money, and buys us a beer. We called his wife to take us home. He bought a super nice SS Chevelle the next week and all I got was a hangover and bitched out from my wife for coming home drunk.

26. Why do you ask?

27. Hey, I was in Vegas in April but I didn't hit your car. Really.

28. I was making a joke dude sorry...

29. Sorry bud, still don't get the joke?
    Must be a regional thing.