Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How often do you drive your hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 23, 2018.

1. I drove the old sedan into town this morning and although it was cool it was a nice ride but after spending a hour in the orthodontist chair the ride home wasn't quiet as enjoyable.:cool: HRP

Stogy and rjones35 like this.
  2. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Had her out last week IMG_0426.JPG IMG_0430.JPG IMG_0278.JPG Sun came out, so my Wife and I headed out for a Burger. Sunshine and old cars, and a good women. Life is Good. Jerry’s Curb Service started I think in 48/49. It’s still a good place for burgers and Fries.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

3. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

When its up and running I'd say I drive my truck about as often as you start a new thread on here haha

HOTRODPRIMER, Montana1 and Stogy like this.
  4. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

LOL, we get days where it is a nice 38-45 degrees, but there is always salt and immediately when the snow melts we get hit with 10" of Snow and ice.

5. Last year, 313 days involved driving either the coupe or the truck. Most of those were the 100 mile round trip between home and the office.

This year, I am 59 of 68, so far.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I am trying to drive as often I as can , but sure can't compete with you !! Earlier in the week run to the PO which is next door to Happy Daze. Later Bill

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER and Lou kriger like this.
  7. Rain and snow the past 2 days, had a facet block done today... no hot rod for me. I have to wait for a rain to wash the salt off the roads.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Can't find the right size winter tires so have to lay on the couch for another 6 weeks or whatever the stupid Groundhog says. 34dodge.jpg

Hemiman 426 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Now there is salt on the roads again so they will stay in the garage until after the next rain.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. hotrodman303

hotrodman303

Live in Colorado and I drive my Hot Rod every month as many times as weather permits.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Ice finally melted in front of the shop doors so I can get the '29 Super Cab out and drive it today.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

IMG_0427.JPG IMG_0424.JPG

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  13. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Put about 45 miles on my avatar today, visited with some friends.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

350 today...went to a swap meet and hotrod open day...great day out

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. 350 Celsius,man that's HOT ,like 662 degrees Fahrenheit. HRP

Elcohaulic likes this.
  17. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Living in the northeast once the snow flies I stop driving the car and bike. Once the roads clear up I start driving the car again.

Back and forth to work most days and running around town doing this and that. I would say 200 plus days a year.

Cliff Ramsdell

18. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

yep us aussies are pretty tough you know:p:D

clem likes this.
  19. I had the Ford out Saturday for a while. It was about 40 all day. Tonite we have another storm in the forecast, guess I'll have to wait this one out.

20. The monfuckingsoon season is upon us. Nothing but rain since this past Saturday and the coming weekend shown to break. Had the car apart last week for some transmission work. On the good side of things, I'm not dumping 93 octane into it 2x a week.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I used to take my Chevy out at least 1-2 times a week. It's been way too long now that it's gone. 5 weeks. It was so easy to drive and with AC/Heat, it made it an all year driver...except in the snow. I've been caught out in tornado's, hurricanes, thunderstorms so violent, it nearly lifted the car. I did not think I would miss it as much as I am missing it (who am I kidding) and now am looking for my next project. I did have it for almost 20 years. From stock to what you see in the photo. Nothing was overlooked. It was designed to be a driver and it was. It did win at shows and it even took a GoodGuy's award, but I'd rather be driving than sitting. We'll get there soon.

Chevy Back 9_17.jpg Chevy Front 9_17.jpg

chryslerfan55, 4tford and bobss396 like this.
  22. With a few to choose from I drive something that is not considered "average" almost every day. I have a 03 Silverado that I guess you would call a daily but most days you will see me driving to work in my '31 Sport Coupe or '31 A pickup. As they say "life's too short to drive boring cars".

23. F&J

F&J

I'm now 66, no male on my paternal side ever made it past 65. I had everything paid off at 43, a brand new shop out back where I was self employed, a long term wife and son...all gone now, just nearly went into permanent dementia from Lyme Disease that I could not get treated for until a week before Christmas.... Then it left me with lingering "Manic", which is just a term for "over-excitement".

What was I thinking all those years, making excuses NOT to drive an early rod as a daily? Why NOT??? So in January I started using mine all the time. I live alone and only have two others registered, a 66 K20 camper special 4x4 upgraded in 1995 as a show truck,"never out of a heated garage", which then sat outdoors rusting for 5 years after my divorce, and a 70 VW mild custom wagon that was my only daily for 10 years, now rotted to heck.

Guy & Gals; there is no reason not to grab life and stop worrying about trying it! Talk about "Spreading the Gospel" as Ryan wrote about the birth of the Hamb... You meet so many people of all ages, then you meet people THEY know later on in your travels!, ........life gets better when you are not planning for your demise!

I have been caught in snow squalls, muddy fields, rippin' up main street before my manic started to diminish .. Just having a blast! Now, I only drive sanely and safely, and that really is a lot more fun. I go out for a quick trip to the local dam late in the day to chat with anyone, and most times I then end up on a two hour cruise to nowhere.

I'm now broke, after decades of following the Ozzie and Harriet lifestyle myth!, ...so here I am Monday walking out of a local pawn shop, trying out my "new" very nice Nikon camera I got a super affordable deal on.
    DSCN0007.JPG

I left there to Napa to try to get a free replacement for the only damn modern part on the car..(that crapped out)..a Facet booster fuel pump...no dice as I lost the receipt!... but as I was heading that way, I remembered seeing a cool raspberry/white 57 Chevy cruise by me near there last week...well I then see another 57 at Napa, I block him in as he just got in the car. We chat, I said I want a pic, then I told him "you look familiar". Yep, I had met him at his family's HUGE farm about 10-15 years ago!
    DSCN0009.JPG
    ^^ See the "Northeast Recyclers" boneyard across the street? I luckily bought a complete 56 Olds parts car there during my "way toooo longterm" build... I much later, ended up needing that 56 crankshaft for my 55 Olds motor in my 32.. I have, just this year, become friends with that yard managers best lifelong friend, and then got invited to visit the managers home and shop and see some Model A's he has...both of them came to see all my stuff at my place.

Below: Heading back home though the city, mostly people from all over the planet here, I love it..I live maybe 6 minutes from the city.
    DSCN0011.JPG

Tried the "anti-shake" on the camera in these driving pics... took the one below while chugging in 2nd gear up to a stoplight...it shows the 37 buick Topshift trans knob right where is should be in 2nd, never had to bend it...You can't beat the feel of driving a top shift, tall stick hot rod. It has Olds V8 gears so it is unbreakable with bias.
    DSCN0012.JPG

I did stop to see my favorite "girl" friend where she works, no pics LOL... Then tried to go home but ended up heading to the dam to test the camera some more...first pic is slowing up for the street sweeping road crew, then at the dam..
    DSCN0015.JPG DSCN0018.JPG
    Get out there, Dammit! Screw that "planning and saving" for your old age when you can't even drive anymore...or can't remember where your keys are..

24. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well, I've daily driven my 56 truck for months at a time, now I am working across town 90 miles of Houston traffic I have let her rest and got something a bit more OT... The Model A gets out every weekend mostly... Our good season for hotrods down here is about October thru may. Then you loose your nuts sweating from june to September. But they still get driven just mainly in the morning or evening. Rain or shine they both drive frequently. Cant drive the A to work due to leaving at 4:30 am and the neighbors are cool, just not That cool. 3k miles in 10 days on power tour in the truck, and a month ago did about 600 in a weekend in the a... at least I keep the tires round!!! My 2 drivers.... 31-1.jpg 51-1.jpg

Good thread HRP....

chryslerfan55, F&J and 4tford like this.
  25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every weekend. Uncover it in the garage on Friday night, cover it Sunday night.

F&J and mctim64 like this.
  26. 4tford

4tford

Not enough. Hope to change that this year. Grandkids always want a ride.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and F&J like this.
  27. Looks like you are having the time of your life! It's true, get out there and have fun. I've been working all my life, and still continue, but I am doing my best to spice it up with good times with friends and fun cars.
    My commute to work is 20 miles through the country and it looks like this most of the time.
    31895150_10216456028660275_1244220431871770624_o.jpg
    I go over to visit a buddy, his neighbor is having a wedding and they want to use my wife's car as a back drop.
    29572465_10216196634895593_2985382344242094854_n.jpg
    Everyone is friendly and waves when you drive a Model A. Just good fun.
    31659944_10216419425785226_3137023565874855936_n.jpg
    29472567_10216070481181829_2252400104084340736_o.jpg
    Love your '32 Cabrio, looks like a good time indeed.

28. F&J

F&J

Mine was a 5w coupe shell missing the roof when I got it.

I just met a 60 year old guy at a store parking lot a week ago...started talking 32 Cabriolets...Geezus, he bought his 32 cabriolet when he was 18, still has it, 352 Ford engine, not used in decades...I tried to get him ramped up about getting it good enough to drive...he is only one town away! ...then just now, a 70 year old friend stopped here for chat, I tell him about it as I thought he must know of it? Nope, he starts talking of ANOTHER 32 cabriolet in that same town, with a long ago Nailhead swap that was never finished! There are quite a few 32 hotrods in that hick town! All are old school!

Rain stopped here, mine will go out for errands today

chryslerfan55 and mctim64 like this.
  29. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

WELL SAID!