Register now to get rid of these ads!

How not too install a 4-link. (I need your help.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steamboat, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Just remember that it is just metal and anything can be fixed....just as long as you know how to weld.

2. Makes me wonder whatever happened to the cut up '51 Merc body he bought from us a while back. I think that was him anyways. It's hard to keep track. The cowl and frame still sit here.

At least the guy is involved in making it right, but it would have been better to admit not knowing how to do it right to begin with. But I also question why you'd drive it around without looking it over, or taking it back to troubleshoot when it started having problems.

3. martin

martin

If your going to court, the car is only a car ( nice one ). this bloke could
    have killed you ! and others. Take his ass.

4. GreggAZZ posted some pics, on that other weld thread, of off road truck chassis'. First time, I saw one of these trophy trucks in progress, I was awestruck at the quality and the amount of welding that goes into their frames. I'm not the greatest welder, but being around races cars has raised my standards tremendously. Like my Dad used to say, "poor workmanship, gives us all a black eye."
    JT
    [​IMG]

5. chad

chad

"DirtyT is gonna be my savior for the next chapter of the project" and a quote from Dirtyt himself "tommrow i should be able to get every thing in paint and hopefully get her back on the ground. but well see i dont rush any thing with suspension to much is riding on it."

This is just so wrong ,I just read those lines in Johns blog....That DirtyT is a complete asshole for doing this to someone....I cant even imagine screwing somebody over like that..I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that I could possibly hurt or kill someone in something I built....John I hope you take his ass!!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  6. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I feel somewhat responsible for what happend to John's car. Bryan basically met John through the Los Boulevardos board, we (as members) had no idea of the bad fabricaton skills he had.

John is a great guy, funny as shit and always on the positive. He was the LAST guy that should have ever gone through this bullshit.

7. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Truer words were never spoken! :)

Y'all gotta check out the Los Boulevardos post! From the very start, it was such a well-written roller-coaster ride of smiles, laughter and tears...it oughtta be a book, or a movie, or an After-School Special, or SOMETHING!

I mean, it isn't funny at all what happened to his car, but some of the adventures (intoxicated friends with befouled hoodies!) had me in stitches! John kept a positive attitude WAY longer than any mere mortal would have, and he doccumented the whole thing for all the world to see. It's a must-read for sure!

I'm hoping things will work out in the end...this is one Dude who truly deserves a heavy helping of happiness!

(PS: Hey, John...if you're reading this, remember that my Fisher Price cell phone can't RETURN text messages! :D)

8. I didn't look at this thread when it was first posted. Now all I can say is holy________!

9. BadLuck

BadLuck

wow. Just read the whole thread on the other board, and,...wow.:(
    Wondering why nobody said anything when he posted pics of him installing the shocks upside down...:confused:.....
    This guy John went through some shit with this car! I thought I had a hard time with my car..YEAH RIGHT! You gotta check out the other thread...the "hoodie story" is the "shit":D............

Hope John gets this thing worked out with DirtyT......you will be on the road again soon John...don't give up..:)...Cj.

10. chad

chad

Literally LOL

11. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

When I first saw this post, I read it and thought to myself, man that sucks, and went about my HAMB surfing.
    I just spent the last 2 hours reading the post on the Los Boulevardos forum, and now I feel really bad for John. Being a OIF VET, I understand his hope and determination on how bad he wanted his car to be done. When I returned I purchased my car.(Hopefully it will be done before I have to go back) I can't believe someone could screw him that bad. And how a so called friend could risk his life like that. I hope things work out for him. Keep us up to date. and post some pics of the new fab work.

12. alteredimage

alteredimage

It sucks that you got that kind of work. But you did leave out a few important details. Like how much the Labor cost, how long of a time frame you gave the installer. Not ragging on you but I seen where you got your parts from and for some reason 90% of the stuff we have to fix has there sticker on it? Kinda weird. If you need some picks of installs look through my site. www.alteredimagecustom.com
    For the installer a wise man once told me, when the price is long forgoten the quality of the work will still be there.

13. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

I would answer your question regarding the details with a question- is there any amount of money or any timeframe that would drive you to allow such a vehicle to roll out of your shop?

14. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

anyone who wishes to help john out we are trying to arrange a bbq fundraiser for him, check my other thread for details and add some input if you want

15. alteredimage

alteredimage

I would never let anything leave looking that way. I do get alot of stuff in that looks like that and it was always a Buddy that did it for free or a very minimal amount.

16. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

ha... small world. MINE TOO! I had a burnt orange rust bucket with 4 wheel drum brakes and the Rocket 350. I beat the piss out of that thing for a year before hitting a tree with it in the snow.

Fat Hack, I know a guy with a 72 Cutlass that is just a roller but does have a posi rear. Needs quarters and floor work, but it'll go cheap. I'll try and see what he wants for it. :cool:

17. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Wow, that is seriously fucked up.

19. Johns a quality guy. I understand the thoughts of, "well, it was good enough to get paid", and thoughts like that. But all anyone needs to do is think back to he first time you left your car with someone to get some work done. Did you HONESTLY just expect it to be done right? I sure as fuck did.

Something like this isn't deserved by ANYONE. A shitty paint job, ok...........but something that could break, and KILL you, or God forbid someone else?! Thats inexcuseable.

I'm ashamed to have known him.

20. I've seen the Herpie in person, but this is worse! I thought your skills improved as you learnt....

Hope it ends well Steamboat, you certainly are lucky nothing serious broke while moving......

21. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

22. JamesG

JamesG

Damn. I've been out of pocket and am just now finding out about this. First I'm seriously sorry to here about this Steam. Damn Bro.

What people don't think about is the fact that when it comes down to it, your life is riding on the skills of someone else. All it takes is one bad weld and your life or someone else's could end simply because someone misrepresented themselves. People need to take heed to this type of stuff and seriously think next time before they take on a job like this.

Now, I don't know what the two of you agreed upon, I'm sure this was not it, but if ANY amount of money changed hands, I seriously doubt that your car was to be used as a template for welding and metal fabrication practice. Which was a total failure BTW.

Good luck to you Bro is recouping from this financial set back. I know how tough it is to be in the military and still have play money. Good luck.

23. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The shop boogers I have dug out of my nose look better than those welds. I could have done better drunk.

24. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I have a barbecue Grill I built while drunk that I would drive farther than that "alleged mutant 4 link" set up.

25. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your next project, "The Bagged BBQ". :D

26. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

To you Los Boulevardos members, I put up the link to that message board,

here

against John's wishes. He knew how bad y'all felt about this and didn't want your club to be associated with this work in any way.

Luckily he gave me the info before he made me promise anything :D
    and after I read it, all 18 pages, F-me I was about tearing up at the end. I'd be proud to have this guy as my kid, my brother, or my son in law, for crying out loud!

I'd like to be able to hate Bryan for it, but I just gotta think the guy isn't in his right mind for some reason. He needs some help, and I hope he gets it.

Anyway I figured Los Boulevardos were probably feeling just about as bad as the HAMB for having a member do a thing like this. Like someone else said, it makes us all look bad.

Once I saw the los boulevardos post I had to put it up here, because once I read that, I realized this whole thing is so much worse than just a deal gone bad, and HAMBers needed to know in order to help.

If I spent my whole tour of duty in a warzone looking forward to getting my car riding low, I'd hope I could be forgiven for being so excited I forgot to inspect it before hopping in and cruising around!

I just wish I lived closer to lend him a hand, although it seems like he's got that pretty well covered.

He got took for about one and a half times what he paid for the car, if that puts it in perspective.

If anybody knows Bryan, can you check in on him and see if he's OK? I bet he feels pretty low right about now. I know John was worried about him, which speaks to me of his character.

I know the economy sucks, but if anybody has a couple bucks they'd like to contribute to the cause, just to let him know we care, Steamboats paypal is:

[email protected]

Thanks to everyone that's stepped up for him. I count myself lucky to be able to do any small thing to help one of our nation's veterans.

[​IMG]

27. Holy Dogshit work batman!

28. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Wow, I would go back to that Church and thank God for not letting that mess kill me!

Hope everything turns out well, please keep us posted on the latest info.

That chicken scratch welding makes me look like a pro!

29. poorboy

poorboy

wow at the "fabrication" that took place underneath your car man.

30. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Brian was a good guy, he just got in over his head and tackled something he shouldn't have. He turned in his plaque and jacket and resigned from the club just after Steamboat got his car back.