Register now to get rid of these ads!

how not to weld

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott Danforth, Apr 2, 2009.

1. RichG

RichG

...some lead, some really, really, REALLY want to lead...:D

2. I Drag

I Drag

I must be the only one that doesn't see it. What I see is a person or persons of limited abilities and means that wants something so desperately that they are willing to put a ton of work into trying to accomplish it no matter what. Sure it came out like crap, but at least they are trying. I made a lot of junk before I made anything decent. It takes a certain amount of guts to attempt something completely over your head while you're aware of it, yet do it anyway.

3. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

I'm reading this at work and this just about killed me.

4. You do have a point, i was there, well i would like to think we were all there. my first project was a bar stool racer, Learned alot about everything. Next was The chassis of my model a which is my first hot rod. I finished a mini rock crawler. Lots of education in fabrication. Its good to be a go getter but if i dont know how to do something, i ask at the local welding shop. Forums, and at car shows. You need to take risks, and we all learn by mistakes. But i think perhaps we should look at it as what point does doing it yourself interfer with the safety of you and everyone else on the road.

5. RichG

RichG

What I see is someone who had sufficient funds to have access to a welder and supplies, yet didn't see fit to get any understanding of proper procedures and design. This type of work is indicative of the attitude of younger people today, that they don't have to show any quality or workmanship, just throw it together and be "cool".

At some point it is our RESPONSIBILITY as car buffs to correct this behavior and lead by example. If enough people get on the wagon and start condemning the "rat" quality of these builds, the owners and builders will strive to reach a level of acceptance that is not only beneficial to them, but to us all.

These kinds of builds and their builders are going to lead us to the type of draconian traffic laws that the Aussies have to contend with (and my Aussie friends have my sympathies!).

...but that's just my worthless opinion...:D

6. I Drag

I Drag

I just wanted to give a different view. Dog-piling on the condemnation is easy.

As for these stupid turbo manifolds, whom gets hurt? They just won't work well, if at all.

I've made tons of stuff that didn't work or was stupid. I've spent the last week making an air cleaner scoop design. I'm on my fourth one, and still not satisfied with it. Sometimes that's what it takes. You have to try stuff.

And responsibility towards learners is fine, but making fun of them isn't helpful. That is not teaching.

Excuse me, I gotta go get some cardboard and do another scoop mock-up...

7. RichG

RichG

I hear ya, you're right too.:)

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

You learn with mistakes. Early on I did a handful of exhaust repairs that resembled some of this turbo work. That's what happens when inexperience is combined with lack of tools/facility, and one of those 120V cheapie stick welders.

One thing to remember is not everyone has a mechanical mentor. Some of us were luckier than others, learning mechanics solo is a rough gig.

Also note how we collectively love to turn our backs on ricers. Is some of this craftsmanship really so suprising then?

9. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

I for one will continue to belittle and chastise those who obviously just don't care enough to learn how to do something the right way. We have to share the road with these fools when their axles fall off because they used all thread to make their u-bolts or their wishbone brackets snap off the frame.....

10. brandonwillis

brandonwillis
    from Tucson AZ

those are some incredible masterpieces right there. I dont know if anyone else noticed that other ridiculous jeep looking things modified pitman arm...... Id post a picture of what im talking about my im in class right now

11. michaelthe9

michaelthe9

I just had to look to see if some of my stuff was in there. I didn't see any so I feel better now.
    Unbelievable!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michael

12. Looks like somebody spray painted over some xtra wide duct tape....

13. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

SHIT, that looks like one of those crabs off the Deadliest Catch!:D

Nick.

14. Ok that was funny... ^^^^^

That comment was a bit disturbing to say the least...^^^^

And again funny...^^^^

I'm no profesional welder, never taken a class but have talked to master welders and even spent a bit of time being taught by them. I would and will be taking welding classes before I attempt to do any major work on my rod project. I have too much pride in what I do myself to even think of laying down liquid metal like that.

15. The sad thing is all those patches and it still looks like if it wasn't for the welding beads that part of the roof is dead flat. They could have cut a patch piece out of a rusty wheelbarrow to fill the hole and it would look a little better. Not much, but a a little.

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

WTF is this shit ? :eek:
    The only thing that could be worst than that would be if they used Duct Tape ! I really like the " Flex Pipe " they used with that welding job ! :confused:
    Well one thing for sure is , I know now that I am not the worst welder in the world now !