Register now to get rid of these ads!

how not to weld

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott Danforth, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Wont work as the turbos are not mounted in the exhaust stream,, they wont see any flow. He just made some very heavy, expensive mufflers.

And those rear mount turbo deals are really kinda crappy. Wont get as much boost and the oil has to be pumped back to the motor, those pumps fail and then your blowing oil out of the exhaust.

2. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Looks like old Vision skate deck art...

3. That is some mighty fyne enjuneering. Yikes.

4. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

You're assuming they're just hooked to the outer case. If the exhaust stream is redirected into the turbo, and the turbo exhausts back into the case, it works. Despite the otherwise horrendous quality, visualize a 90 degree bend inside the muffler case feeding the turbo. That guy's setup is about making the bottom half of the muffler look stock. The part you can see when installed

Most of the rear mount turbos don't use engine oil, they take advantage of low operating temps, high technology lubricants, and frequent change intervals. And no, they aren't as efficient as front mounts but even low efficiency twins would make stupid power behind a V8. There's a lot of guys that would love to hide that kind of power adder under a fake rear seat that's actually an insulated heatbox.

Think about it. A couple of weld-sealed framerails and a "cold air" kit that's actually sealed to the frame ends. Use a noisy gear drive to hide/blend the turbo sound. Serious friday night money maker.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  5. octane

octane
    from Virginia

I'm not sure what's worse...the welding or the fact that he painted it...implying that it's done!

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I thought my welding was really coming along guys. That intake was my creme de la creme.

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

he probably got in a hurry or some crap,if he was that bad of a welder, he could have tacked it, and taken it to someone to be welded, a trade school,SOMEWHERE,and let them finish it up. and i do believe it's welded right to the cast manifold flange, wonder how long that's gonna last. I didn't have anything heavy enough to do the aluminum manifold on my "rice" if you call it that, so i sent it up to my brother in laws company in Atlanta, they make industrial aluminum awnings, and let them to it. yea it took a while to get it back, but i would rather wait then see garbage like that. welds penetrated enough to actually warp the heavy aluminum plate, but they are in there. just took a little machine work to make it nice and flat again. [​IMG]

8. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit......

9. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

oh my that looks like shit on top of shit on top of shit and so on

10. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Why would anyone use a zillion little pieces of metal instead of a couple larger formed one?

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

maby he just paint it pale green and call it Dr. Frankensteins rat rod? needs a couple of big bolts sticking out the sides though. what was he thinking? [​IMG]

12. RichG

RichG

That actually made me laugh out loud!:D

13. Oh dang! was thinking about doing that patch work thing to my Mercury.

14. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Dont weld on crack
    sincerley Edward Sissorhand

15. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

I might build a whole car like that coupe.
    Not really!!!!

16. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I guess it was too hard to knock the dent out of the lasagne car before welding over it.

17. The Lasagna car looks to be a rat rod and was probably intended to look that way. Pretty sad non the less. I dont mind some rat rods but most of the ones I've seen are not road worthy. I wonder how some pass state inspections!

18. CrazyUncleJack

CrazyUncleJack
    from OK

I just don't understand how somebody can spend the money even USED turbos cost, and then not take the time to learn the concepts of how they work.

I suppose it will be more stealth this way, because they won't ever spin up enough that somebody can hear them.

EDIT: after finishing reading the thread, somebody pointed out that maybe there's pluming inside the muffler. I suppose I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, but that contraption is so tall, it would be sticking up in your trunk.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

even some rat rod guys do better then that

20. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

Now i understand......it was welded with ratrod.....:rolleyes:

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think a fair number of them even run well enough to worry about having to pass inspection. You don't have to pass a state inspection, have plates or insurance if you sneek it in, roll it off the trailer and into place and pose behind it until everyone else leaves and then put it on the trailer and back home again.

22. The ones I've seen are on the road here in Jamestown NY ( and surrounding area) driving around and thinking they are cool... and some really are, others are a death trap. One guy I know builds and sells them and he gets huge $$$ for crapp. Other ones I've seen run around with dealer plates - one way around the inspection.

23. FredK

FredK
    Member Emeritus

I thought it was the "Elephant Man" hiding in an engine compartment. :D

24. Proof that tools should be licensed like guns are

25. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

I would have said the same thing until I saw this - Here's the 63 tempest with the turbos mounted back at the rear axle -

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0711_1963_pontiac_tempest_lemans/photo_07.html

Watch it make a pass - listen to the tires chatter after it passes the tree -

<object width="500" height="405">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/87Bx2oM0oj8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></object>

26. All the the lasagna cars need is few gallons of bondo and you'd never know.

27. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

Not if you had the mufflers mounted under your rear seat and built a heat shielded box with fresh air ducting. It would take a shit load of work, but if your lookin' to sandbag kids all night long at the drags, being sneaky is always hard work.

saw a kid that had a 55 Chevy truck. told all the people it was a 235 with mild work, looked bone stock. Smoked everything but the baddest of the bad. Came to find out from a guy that did alot of engine work for my dad's cars that it was a GMC 302 that was heavily disguised and fed by a twin turbo setup hiding just behind the seat in a space created under a false floor. Really clever and well executed set up and you would never find it unless you tore the whole thing apart.

28. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

Not to mention that turbos need to be close to the head to make the most use of the expansion of the hot exhaust gasses just like turbine engines.
    Or about 50 cheap ones...

29. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

Thats Beautiful

30. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

pulled from STS turbo they answer this concern.

"heat doesn't create velocity. Heat creates volume. If you look at any of the physics laws for gasses, you will find that pressure and volume and heat are related. PV=NRT is a popular one, The V isn't for velocity, it is for Volume. "

http://www.ststurbo.com/