Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How not to chip paint on door hinges?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Revived 265, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Ok, what , how to size my 34 ford door hinges prior to paint? I'd really like to prevent the chipping.....

2. walter

walter

Beval the adjoining area where the hinge pin goes. It keeps from poping the paint when opening and closeing the door.

3. Roger,sent you a PM. HRP

4. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

If there are any other tricks I'm sure a few of us would like to hear also. Thanks

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Nope, it's HRP's secret and he's not sharing. :)

On stuff I've painted with hinges (not car doors) I've taped off the hinges prior to painting so they wouldn't get a thick coat of paint, then gone back and brush painted a thin coat to prevent interference. Just a thought.

6. Thanks guys, I see my first mistake was to not put the pins in first and then mount the doors to the body.....you see, I've taken the doors off a lot lately on the 33 and I'm chipping the paint by simply knocking out the pins.....and with no help...

7. I'll take 3wLarry's place on this one....don't open the doors.

8. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

But I'm too big to fit in the window

9. just thinking here but, if ya ground down (or filed) the areas that rub, the parts that surround the hinge pin. and installed nylon washers the same thickness and diameter that you ground down. then disassemble the hinges, paint them reassemble with the nylon washers. then the only metal to metal contact would be where they bolt onto the door and body right? no more chipping.

10. I like that or using SS shim stock....I'm very surprised no one else has this issue....

11. indyjps

indyjps

Light thin paint is the best advice I can give. Qas you prime and paint the car you end up with thick paint on the bottom of each hinge loop, after prime, seal, paint its very thick. So derust your hinges well, dust coat with prime and make topcoat passes that are very light until covered.