Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much would you pay for this 1956 Caddy? What is it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Jun 13, 2013.

1. chstitans42

chstitans42

Went to look at a 1956 Cadillac Sedan DeVille today. Pics tell the story. On all flats in this guys back yard. A little rust in the rockers, both front floors. The rest of the body is all straight, the car is complete, and all the trim and underhood stuff is there. Says he has the air cleaner lid and base. He does not know where the keys are, and says he has a title, but as of right now cannot find it. Power brake, power windows, power steering car.

I am thinking this car is worth more in parts than as a whole because the bumpers and trim stuff is all intact. I know almost nothing about caddys, so please inform me what is what and its value. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Looks a real solid car. Could be driving soon. Why break it? Gotta be worth $2000 - $3000.

3. chstitans42

chstitans42

The guy is asking $4,000. I dont want to part it out, just dont want to pay more than its worth. That is why I am posting up here

4. 2racer

2racer

I would not give 4k unless you can start it and he finds the title, otherwise 3k max

5. 4000 seems high to me but how many are left?,,does it have a title? HRP

6. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

$2,500-$2900.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'd say $3K without a title and $3.5K with the title. Lucky for you, you're in Texas and getting a bonded title is actually pretty easy now.

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

4k is steep. HOWEVER, if your going to part it out and IF the batwing assembly for the 2x4 is there then you can make some money. a proper 2x4 with batwing is spendy to the restoration crowd.

Honestly if it wasn't for the 2x 4 i'd put it in the 800-12 or maybe 1500 range. rust free 53 coupe just down the road from me, disassembled and asking 4k. for reference.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flat tires doesn't mean much. Being a 4dr usually does. It's straight and solid except for some of the floor is a good thing, but check the rockers too. 2 4brrls...awesome. $4,000 sure wouldn't be out of line up here in Michigan, but I know you guys in the Southwest can afford to be more picky. I've always thought that to allow $500 one way or the other to kill a deal is hard to understand. I mean, really...compared to the amount of $ it'll take to fix it up, $500 aint much. And on the other hand, there's a lot to be said for having a buyer with cash-in-hand vs waiting for another one. It depends on how bad you want it, vs how bad he wants to sell. Above all, and regardless of anything else, and whether a deal can be make or not, I think it's very important for both parties if the experience can be friendly and mutually respectful...rather than hardnosed and stressful. I'd rather pay more or accept less if it makes for a pleasant experience. I'd rather not buy for less or sell for more if it makes for a crappy experience.

10. chstitans42

chstitans42

Believe me, it wont start with out alot of work first
    says he does bu couldnt find it at the time
    that is what I was thinking
    the problem is bonded titles seem to devalue cars, at least in my opinion
    He says he has it, but never came up with it...
    It i sure gonna be hard to pull that sucker out of his back yard,

11. Fenders

Fenders

So I guess you want to flip it complete.
    And let's face it, there is no title.
    Offer him $1,000.

12. chstitans42

chstitans42

I agree, but he seems to hold high dollar amounts on his cars. He has a 1941 chevy four door sedan in the garage, covered in a inch of dust, nice paint but does not run drive or stop and wants 14k for it. Poor old guy. I bet he would be swayed by cash but I have yet to see if he comes up with the title.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

14. last year a friend sold a running, but had some rust issues around the back window, for $10k

15. chstitans42

chstitans42

16. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

decent car. up to 4K if its your dream car and you want to keep it.
    2K if you want to flip it, and you can get it running.

(remember, large cars like that cost too much restore, cheaper to buy one already done)

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Click the link and read the steps. A lot of Texas guys are missing out on good cars due to misinformation. A lot has changed with the Texas DMV in the last 2 years. That link has all the forms you need to do it. DON"T pay someone to do what you can do. If you read it, it only takes a long time, if YOU drag your feet.

18. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

If the old fellow is the named owner on the car though, he can apply for a lost title.
    I would say his price is a little steep, but not by a whole lot. I'd be more comfortable at around 3500. Yeah it needs work, but it's pretty damn complete which is where a lot of the costs come from in building an old caddy. I've see those dagmar bumpers go for a grand alone, and I honestly can't say I've ever seen one that complete before for sale here locally.

19. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

The difference between a low ball offer and $4K is not all that much in the scope of things. You could easily drop another $5-10K into getting it in really good working and driving order and a lot more if you do the body and interior over. At that, the base price of $4K does not seem all that bad to me. When was the last time a decent 2-dr Caddy with (I presume) a factory dual quad engine came up for sale at $4K.

If that was in my neck of the woods I would take a hard look at dropping the $4K to buy it but I would still try to negotiate the price down to what most of us would think is a good deal. It would be a steal at $2K, a good deal at $3K, and an acceptable buy at $4K.

In my humble opinion .....

20. chstitans42

chstitans42

Do your numbers change when its a 4-door hardtop and not a two door? If it was a two door I would have bought it already

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's the easier way for sure. I was giving the OP an option in case the old guy doesn't feel like dealing with the DMV. Plus, using a lack of title will:

1) possible get the price down or 2) make the guy go through the hoops to file for lost title or 3) make him look a little harder for it.

22. I'd say show him $2K if he can show you the title and take it for anything less than $3K. Again only with the title.

23. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

If it was a two door it wouldn't be there. I think 4dr-ht's are the new 2-doors (some more than others, depends on the styling).

2 quads, 4dr ht, solid 50's Caddy... duh....

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

2 door or 4 door, old Caddys get a coolness pass.

25. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

$4138. Not a penny more. Unless he produces an air cleaner, then add $798.

26. Tim Keith

Tim Keith

There was a '57 coupe like that in my father's backyard. He gave it away a couple years ago. The back glass was cracked. Other than that it was as solid as that one. We tried to sell it, none of the callers showed up.

27. 2racer

2racer

Are you looking for a car to flip or keep?.

I would keep looking either way, there are better deals than this popping up almost every day.

Don't get where you think you have to have any particular car or you might buy a pos and pay way too much.

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Glass can be gotten cheaply enuff, including new front windshield and rear window. The dual fours-and the air cleaner, are clearly worth $1500 and up...I see the radiator is missing and I have two (2) stock ones that can be bought if you want and pay the shipping.

New floor pans are available and the car looks solid and even the interior isn't that bad.

Four door hardtops are more desirable than four door post cars...

Personally, IF he has AND can produce the title AND the air cleaner, $4K isn't out of line for that Caddy...

Seen my 1955 Cadillac build...??? Go here to read it :http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

R-

29. 52HardTop

52HardTop

It's got plates, can't that help with the cars ID? Of course the ignition switch is gone... What's that mean?

30. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i think u guys are missing the boat .it is obviously a high end car and those old multi carb air filters are worth a ton. restore it you wont regret it .