Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much will this go for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fatrod, Apr 17, 2013.

1. jesse1980

jesse1980

I like yours better too.

2. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

It's an amazing car. I hope the amazing cars people build on the HAMB can get up to that visibility some day...

3. Thanks:cool:

4. Might I suggest exchanging Karl Marx for Don Montgomery or Vern Tardel?

Yes, the American Bourgeoisie consists of non-working, mechanically incompetent, and tradition-disrespecting rabble. Especially that damned Jay Leno. [sarcasm]

Let's see them!

5. jesse1980

jesse1980

Awwwww, here we go, sorry I didn't take philosophy in my "ivy league college". As far as jay Leno, he gets in there and dirty and works on his cars. Look on Craigslist, you find roadsters that are steel done all the time, comon now issac newton.

6. Ivy League, huh...our softball team used to play those guys but decided the church league was more competitive (and had better beer). :)

7. jesse1980

jesse1980

"Ivy league college" ----[sarcasim].

8. You really don't get what went into building this car. It's not a case of someone paying exorbitant dollars for an average car, it is a one off hand built car with many pieces that took many man hours to build and that my friend COSTS MONEY. The fact that Doane Spencer started the build of this car probably does raise the value, or at least ads credence to it, Why? because he was a master builder and just like his first roadster that was also way ahead of it's time in quality and thinking - no one else was building a 32 Roadster that could be road raced at that time - it is not for everybody, nor was it intended to be. And that has nothing to do with working class people or anything else, it does not change the price or value of my car or yours one iota. Is it worth the money that was spent on it and that they are hoping to get for it? That is up to the individual owner, buyer and seller. You or i cannot decide that for them and it is none of our business really.
    People have said similar things about the McMullen roadster. I have met and talked at length with the buyer, and to him it was worth every penny of that $700,000 plus fees. Why? Don't know, I just know he is very happy with his purchase of the car and in the end, that is all that matters

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

jesse1980 what are you defending exactly? There are a load of guys on the Hamb that are working class dudes that just so happen to own cars of this caliber because they built them. Why take such a hard stand against them?

10. jesse1980

jesse1980

I understand all that, but, the question was what will it go for and I have my opinion. Everyone knows you never get out of a car what was put in it. I'm glad your friend is happy with paying 700,000 for a car, but be honest now, how much could he have built the same car for? I understand history had a price but take that out of the picture, how much would it cost to build and how happy would he be with that car also.

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I also don't understand why you think this car keeps you out of having one. It doesn't keep me out of having one and I probably make less than you. You just have to be resourceful and do the work.

12. jesse1980

jesse1980

I'm defending those guys, why should a car these guys on the hamb build that are the same caliber only be worth lets say 100,000 , and this car go for 1,000,000. It's the same car right? Just has famous hands on it and 100 dollar and hour mechanics working on it to finish it right? Hence why I say in my book it's only worth 100 to 150,000. At least the guys on the hamb who iam defending, built them themselves, why are they not getting recognition?

13. jesse1980

jesse1980

It's not keeping me out of anything, I have a 1 of 300 made 63 Catalina 421 4 speed car . I just answered the question on the thread honestly and got blazed for it, thats BS.

14. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

To be honest I think this car will only go for about 150-200k. I haven't seen it up close but based on other Ridler level cars I've seen I could certainly see where a shop could spend 8000 hours on this and hit that million $ cost. But it would never see that return. History always bends the $$ figure around, I'll guess we'll see if people consider this car significant like that.

I do know that if I had millions of dollars and the Ala Kart came up for sale I'd drop a million to own it. Is it worth that? Probably not. To me? Hell yes.

I'll stay happy spending what little $$ I have to build showrod type stuff and appreciate the Kart in my own way.

15. jesse1980

jesse1980

What I meant by keeping it out of working class guys hands is for example , if I had a 62 Catalina super duty, lets say I restored it,when it was done I'd be lucky to get 100,000 for it. now the same car exactly, only it was campaigned by Mickey Thompson in 62, I couldn't touch it at 1,000,000. Get it . I collect Mickey Thompson stuff, engines, trophy a etc. I could never get the car he had.

16. No it is not the "same car". if there is someone on here building a car of that caliber, to that level of details, to that level of extreme fabricated parts, I sure haven't seen it. And since this type of car isn't HAMB friendly to start with I doubt I will see it on here.
    This is a whole different arena. It is no different than why a Duesenberg or a Talbot or other such car goes for so much more money than a Cadillac of the same era. Both were fine automobiles built to a high standard, just one was built to a HIGHER standard and has rare exclusivity that goes with that.

17. jesse1980

jesse1980

I agree with your price 100 percent. That's all I have been trying to say here, and it turns into all this $h-t.

18. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Dude that's the same for everything though. You're just never gonna get to have Babe Ruth's glove man. You can have a glove. Just not that one. :)

19. jesse1980

jesse1980

Hotrodon, you just proved my point with what you said in your last post. Sorry to inform you but I think some of the cars I seen on here from time to time in that same style and era are equal if not better to this car.

20. But that is a non argument - Exclusivity and Provenance will ALWAYS add value to something. does it matter that in one case it is something that was raced by a famous person versus the fact that something else was built by an equally famous person?
    You say you collect M/T stuff - would you sell a M/T motor for the same price as a standard Pontiac? of course you wouldn't. So why exactly is this different??????

21. jesse1980

jesse1980

But I want babe Ruth's glove though.

22. jesse1980

jesse1980

I get it, all I'm saying is I think the car is worth what I stated before, why do I have to be rediculed for it. As for my Mickey Thompson motor, your right, but lets say a regular 1960 389 engine goes for 500. That doesn't mean my mt 1960 389-414 would be worth 5000.00. Maybe 1500 I could see.

23. jesse1980

jesse1980

Bottom line we all have a opinion and if my price guess offended someone, that wasn't my intention.

24. jesse1980

jesse1980

So lets just leave it at we agree to disagree, no hard feelings. I lost a hour of time arguing on this thread .

25. It wasn't ridicule (at least not from me) nor was I offended. I was merely trying to explain, in my opinion, as to why this car cost what it did to build. I have no clue what it will sell for, but I would bet the farm it won't be as low as $150,000, and I understand why.
    And think about this. that Mickey Thompson motor didn't cost 3 times to build what one that you or I would build for the same purpose and similar parts, but this car really does have the money invested (or at least close to it) that they say it does. So why should your scenario be worth 3 times more and this be worth 10 times Less?

26. Funny_ I was thinking the same thing. It's also my former employer's favorite saying.

27. jesse1980

jesse1980

I was just throwing a figure out there. I have no idea what the mt motor is worth.

28. b-bob

b-bob

Me too!:D

29. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Me too.

30. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

All the jibber jabber aside, I think that car is absolute proof showing 1.3 million dollars doesn't necessarily buy coolness.

Quality, sure. Coolness, not even close, even with the names attached.