Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much volts to Field ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by altraditional, Aug 12, 2008.

1. altraditional

altraditional
    from Estland

I am having problems with charging on '63 Mercury. I changed the generator brushes that were worn out, but still I am not getting too much charging. Battery is 12.4 volts, when the car is running then 12.6V. When I measure the voltage on Field pole, then I find out that regulator is giving only ~1V there. Is this OK? How much would be normal field voltage?

2. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

12.6 is to low, you should have 13.2-13.8 over the battery. At raised idle, you may have to rev it a couple of times to get the regulator to cut in if its new, or has been standing for a long time.

or you can polarize the generator by touch a cable from the battery to the field post on the generator, remov the cable from the regulator to be on the safe side, Max two seconds will do it.

3. altraditional

altraditional
    from Estland

Should there be full 12V on field when it is idling and revs are too low to make sufficient power?

Can anyone point out how to swap the mechanical with electronic regulator, what regulator to use, etc?