Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods how much to chrome a 32 Ford dash?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Louie, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

anyone have a rough idea what it would cost to chrome plate a 32 roadster dash?thanks,Louie

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Go to Ogdenchrome.com...or call them, 1-801-394-9449…I’d recommend them highly… they can prolly give you a price, or PM Chrome Plater Josh here on the HAMB...I think he's in your neck of the woods.

R-

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Better have good sunglasses. :D

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Man....If you've never driven/ridden in a car with a chromed dash, you'd be well off to rethink this. Von Dago nailed it....you'll need something on the order of welding goggles most of the time. Buddy of mine did this years ago on a homemade dash for an A-bone roadster....there was NO good time to ride in that thing if the sun was up.

dj

5. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Yes but a young lady in a short skirt riding shotgun makes it well worth it!!

6. I would think hard about wood graining. Where did you find a dash good enough that you would consider chroming it?

Charlie Stephens

7. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

A chrome dash on a roadster? You won't like it, besides the glare you will only touch it once on a hot day.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

See the concavity at each end of the dash? Some day you are going to be driving along near sunset and the sun will perfectly catch that and the concave area will focus precisely on you and *POOF!* Your head will just be a puff of smoke and a faint odor of roast pork...
    It'll be good entertainment for the medical examiner, anyway, figuring that one out!

9. Not really. She'd have to be sitting on a stool in the front seat to get anywhere close to the right angle.... or be some kinda giant sasquatch of a woman.

JH

10. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

buy two pair ONE for you ,one for your honey.

11. DrJ

DrJ

How much will depend on how straight and close to ready to polish the dash you have is when you give it to the plater. The actual plating dip process is a small blip on the cost break down.

I wouldn't chrome a piece of sheet metal unless it had a high crown like a headlight bucket, because of the mirror effect hazard.

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hmmmmmmm, maybe Louie is looking for a chromed wall hanging...and not one for his roadster...maybe he's got plenty of '32 roadsters to tool around in, all with painted dashes and simply wants a chromed dash for his den...or playroom...anyone think of that...???

R-

13. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Yeah I figured on that or weld the doors shut and have her climb in like a bucket,just be the first in the car Lol! J/K

14. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Regardless of whether or not you chrome it, the above statement is ALWAYS true!

15. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

NJ is a bit of a drive, but we ship parts large and small all the time.

Like stated above, it really depends on many factors, but assuming it is in decent shape, I think $350 is a good ballpark. It's smaller than the early 50's Desoto dash i did for another HAMBer. That dash was in pretty good shape with original woodgrain on it when I got it, but quite large.

If you are concerned about glare, a brushed chrome finish would look pretty slick. The brushed chrome I usually do looks like a high end stainless appliance, but with a little finer grain. I can leave it at whatever grain is desired though.

If I ever get to my 48 Chevy I plan on plating the dash and garnish mouldings.

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Dude dont do it thats like having a white dash pad .To much reflecting back in your eyes while driving .If its a trailer queen go for it .

17. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

I say chome it this guy did his.:D

Attached Files: