Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how much to charge for oil change - Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sactownog, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmo49 and hendelec like this.
  2. Fordors

Fordors

Any NAPA stores around you, hopefully with a counter man that has some whiskers?
    He will look at that alternator and see the 55A stamped on the case. That should help him get you the right one, but for a start look into a 1973 Chevy application, no AC. The more options on the vehicle the higher the amp output rating.
    In any event the cost will be the same no matter the amperage output and the electrical system will only use what it needs, that is what the regulator is for.

3. I was going to keep quiet, as we're already at 4 pages on this. Plus, the OP has already gone ahead, made a decision, and done the work. But...

I'm 30. I'm self employed, own two houses, do my own renovations, have my daily driver plus two projects. I hustle. No kids, but my girlfriend and I live together. I outline this, not to boast, but to illustrate that my time is valuable. I generally am working, in one form or another, 14 - 16 hours a day.
    My best friends, my parents (dad is 71), my sister, my girlfriend, they get work done for free. I help with my neighbours trees and bushes, cut lawns for free when they're going out of town, and don't mind lending a hand when they ask. I wouldn't think to ask for money, as it's the friend/family/neighbourly thing to do. I've given up entire weekends working on friends cars, and even done jobs when they haven't had time to stick around and chat. No problem, as they help me out too.
    But if someone came up to me at a car show, asked me to work on their car, and didn't intend to at least stick around and chat/hold tools/etc. You're damn right I'd be charging them. I'm a helper, not a charity.

And on the note of him being 80... One of my dad's friends is a car guy in his late 70s. Him and I grab lunch every few months to BS and hang out. When the bill comes, he insists on paying. I've paid a few times, but he actually gets upset if I try and pay, or repay him. AND, he rejects the seniors discount. He's said more than a few times that discounts should be for young people, they're still making their way. Old people have had their whole lives to earn money.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  4. Money screws up everything. This is why I trade cars and parts and have been known to just give things away at times.
    All the guys that help with my car, never have a hand out. The same goes when I help them. To me, it comes down to what sort of a relationship the OP has with the old guy. If he's someone he hardly knows, cut the guy a screamin' deal on the labor and call it done. Me, another $30 or $100 bucks isn't going to change my life drastically. I'd just spend it on beer and cat food.

5. It looks close to the one in my car, which came from a '73 Impala with AC. Those are 63 amps.

6. i looks like a gm one wire conversion. if it was wired with one wire just walk into a parts store and ask for a gm one wire alternator. you will need to switch out the wide pulley that is on the one you have.

7. Now the shoe is on the other foot. What is it worth to you to have one of us identify that alternator??

8. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Do it for free! A little goodwill and some good karma on the side never hurt anyone. It's not like he asked to rebuild everything before you out the new fluids in it.
    Like they said, have him hang around and make an afternoon of it. Fire up the grill and make some burgers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

what happened to all the FREE work everyone wants to give? haha I found that the Alternator is old and discontinued. I am going to see about having it rebuilt, or get the new updated replacement that is a Remy 53170.

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Hopefully your comment is tonque in cheek. If not go back and read your page 1 post. :confused:

11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This has run it’s course.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.