Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how much to charge for oil change - Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sactownog, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. this is how I get parts
    swap labor for cool stuff
    I dont like $ cause I will spend it, then its gone
    parts last longer

osage orange and Truck64 like this.
  2. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

People are generous with others time. To the OP, since you're here I'll assume you're a car guy...plus you do mobile repair? The guy is an acquaintance from car shows... I think what you wanted to charge him is fair. I would NEVER take an old car to Walmart, Jiffylube...or wherever. I don't want my car being the first old car that tech had ever touched. To others telling him to do it for free...this is what he does for a living or at least side money..he deserves to be paid. If I was in the old gents shoes...and you offered me those prices...I'd be tickled pink. Somebody that knows what they're doing..that I kinda know...THATLL COME TO MY HOUSE? Done deal son! I pay near $100 for my ot daily drivers oil changes...and I have to go to them. Feel weird posting this...I wouldve thought it was common sense. Maybe some older guys are meeting younger guys at car shows/meets and getting their car worked on for free? I'm not that old (yet) but it's never happened to me..

F-ONE likes this.
  3. If the man ask me the labor would be free,I have helped older guys many times with no thoughts of compensation. HRP

4. will you sand blast my chassis?
    I got the sand

saltflats, VANDENPLAS and BAD ROD like this.
  5. Bring it over, I will let my wife do it, she loves sand blasting

j hansen and anthony myrick like this.
  6. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Reminds me of a story that happened to a friend about twenty years ago. He had just bought a muffler shop and an employee from the previous owner remained to work for the business. It was his first week of running the shop and a woman comes in with a complaint that her muffler was loose and making a lot of noise. They put the car up on the rack and found out that the rear shock tower was broken and that's where the noise was coming from. He explained that they didn't do that sort of work and she would have to take it some where else to get it fixed. She gave them the usual sob story that she didn't have any money to get it fixed and could they just do something to get her by for a little while until she got some money. They felt sorry for her and patched it the best they could, welding up inside the tower for a temporary fix. They didn't charge her anything but warned her that it would only hold for a little while and she really needed to get it fixed right.
    A week later here comes the same woman because the welds broke and would they please just fix it one more time, she had money coming the following week to get it fixed. He wasn't busy so he said he would try and fix it one more time but this was the last time. They put the car on the lift and proceeded to weld up inside of the shock tower and caught the trunk on fire and burned up the car.
    Not only did he have to buy her a replacement car but had to pay his insurance deductible.

55 Ford Gasser and Truck64 like this.
  7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

C'mon, let's not compare a free roofing job - brutal, backbreaking work in horrible heat and humidity with shootin' the breeze over a couple cold ones and making a new friend. If this is a business, well then all bets are off and you already know the answer anyway. Depending on your location $70 to $125 an hour labor is pretty much standard, plus parts, supplies, and disposal + tax.

8. I didn’t realize how I phrased that

9. In some parts of the world that kinda money will get s VW rebuilt

saltflats likes this.
  10. Reminds me of a story that happened to me.
    I was 12 or 13 years old and the old couple across the street was out raking leaves..my dad sent me over there to help them...I knew better than to ask for money or take any that was offered... and I was cutting grass and doing yard work as my "business" at the time as I was saving for a car.
    For the next 2.5 years i was their yard boy... i never took the $5 they offered...i did it because it was the neighborly thing to do. Just how i was raised I guess.
    About the time I turning 16, it was the old couples 50th wedding anniversary. He bought her a new Lincoln town car.
    And they gave me her old car. Gave me an 8 year old Pontiac grand prix with 20,000 local in town miles. Not only did I keep the old man from having a heart attack I got a newish car with a V8 and was able to spend my car savings money on rims, tires, speed parts, insurance, and gas.

Thor1, das858, driverquality and 4 others like this.
  11. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

While stationed in England (1980-86 and 1990-94), I did a lot of side work on Minis (the real ones). I was asked if I could do some c/v joints, I said yes. Then right before she left on vacation she said she tried to do them and messed it up, could I fix it?. Now I had to drag out my trailer, take the car to my "shop" and sort out what she had started. When she came to pick up her car, I mentioned payment and she said "Oh, I have to pay?"

Another young couple with a baby and not much money had a bad rear sub frame and was wearing out tires. I always had extra tires so I helped them out. I had an extra sub frame so I changed it out for them and said no charge. One day I got home to find a card from them thanking me for what I had done, and btw, there was money with the card.

Time is money, but sometimes you just have to use your own judgment. In the long run I believe what goes around, comes around.

In the 70s, I worked at a service station. Owner of local radio station (he had about 30 cars, including 7 Ferraris, 2 Mercedes, and anything else he had a fancy for) brought 1 of his Mercedes in to get the Florida love bugs cleaned off the front. I cleaned and waxed the front and charged him $5. He thought that was too much and only gave me $3. I guess that's why he had money, at least until his wife got everything when she found out he was cheating on her. What goes around . . .

One more and I'll shut up. I work on my buddies cars, 50 Merc, 65 Mustang, 63 "Mayberry Police car" and daily drivers. Nearly 20 yrs ago, I put a sbc, 700r4, a/c, p/s, etc, etc in the Merc. I didn't charge him, but he took me to lunch a lot and bought tools and supplies that I needed. I did it in my spare time and enjoyed doing it. He usually pays me when I do other work for him, he doesn't mind paying and he can afford it. But, I've started weaning him off, I'm just not up to doing as much as I used to be able to do. And he understands, besides I really need to spend the time on my projects and the wife's Nomad.

So, my answer to the original question, (what was the question?), every situation is different.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  12. Dyce

Dyce

If he is a man with money and any amount of pride he may take offence if you tell him no charge. I say just treat him fair, that is rare enough these days.

13. Quote" I am a mobile detailer as a side gig, this is why people ask me to do work on their vehicles. they know I do good work and take pride in it."
    Sounds like a second job. I clicked on his profile & find his other job is inside sales---Wal-Mart? MAYBE ! ! He has also frequented this site to ask for FREE info on fixing car problems. He can't give an old fellow car guy a break & loosen a couple of drain plugs for free. I'm sure the other guy has more class than that & would probably insist on paying .
    Hell I would even grease it while I was at it. OH YEAH I have done that & more than once. I just gave a guy 3 gallons of Ford type F tranny fluid as I had no use for it since I sold the bird. Kinda gives ya that nice warm fuzzy feeling to do something for another person once in a while.
    Some of you guys remind me of trying to argue wife my wife , mixing apples & bananas . Changing oil ain't the same as drywalling,roofing,changing body parts or sanding & sandblasting. Give me a break.

chopnchaneled, Baumi, 302GMC and 4 others like this.
  14. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It can go both ways. My uncle passed away in Ill. and I am in Ohio. He was a car guy and his kids and wife did not share his passion. He had 32 old cars,and they had no clue of what he had. My aunt asked me to help the auctioneer to dispose of them. No high dollar stuff,but nice southwestern cars. I made several trips and phone calls,and about 200 in fuel. I insisted on no money because it was the right thing to do. Auction day,we sold 31 cars,and she had a decent amount of cash. She kept insisting that she pay me for my time. But I said no. A month later she sent me a check. For 25 dollars! Sometimes no good deed goes unpunished. At least I have a clear conscience and a funny story to tell.

Sent from my SM-G900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1946caddy, hendelec and klleetrucking like this.
  15. verde742

verde742

this is a true story, I put out the fire, and Dale learned something that day..

I think its a federal law: If you sell oil- you have to provide a place for waste oil. Like i.e. Autozone, NAPA, Carquest, O'reilly's. etc..

16. verde742

verde742

Two Old service station owners sitting on a park bench, down and out,
    one of them reminisced: When I owned my service station, I had the lowest prices in town..

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

No disrespect intended, but you as a business owner seem to see it from only one side. (Opposite of a business owner ). There is a time and place for everything. Depends what the time is and if the guy asked him then a decent person would expect to pay.

18. dan31

dan31

I wonder if we can hit 100 post about an oil change?.

INVISIBLEKID and anthony myrick like this.
  19. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Pretty interesting post. I’m surprised at all the “free” people. I guess pleasantly surprised. I volunteer hundreds of hours and years and years of service at a Spiritual Center with an aim to reducing human suffering. I enjoy spending time helping others and would never charge for treatment and all of the in-depth discussions. So I’m comfortable with donating my time.

An oil change on the other hand, is providing a product of sorts. I would never let someone change my oil for free, I would compensate them 100%. So I wouldn’t offer for free anyone with the means to pay.

At a minimum, I would perform the oil change and let the owner pay what he felt it was worth to him. Might be higher than you think.

20. What Jim said!!!

21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder how many "car" guys he has asked to do this...and Sactownoc why you? In some conversation with him it had to come up before. The OC stuff might be a $25-30 + fluids but the generator is different entirely, especially if you can find the right shop to test it. It could lead to battery, cables, regulator or what ever it's called on 29, etc....

22. tjm73

tjm73

This is simple. First, he might be offended if you offer to do it for free. He is probably not looking for a hand out. Especially if he is "well off". He is probably looking for someone to do quality work on his car at a fair price. I would price out the materials at cost plus 10% and charge a fair hourly price for your area and treat him with respect.

BAD ROD and 1956 F100 like this.
  23. Slopok

Slopok

Who will you ask and what would you pay when you're 80 and can no longer do it yourself?

wbrw32 and sevenhills1952 like this.
  24. Slopok come my wife is 76 & changes her own oil in her 01 park avenue & the tranny oil & filter also. All she asks is my info on how to do it.
    Hell I just put an engine in my 34 roadster & I will be 85 on Sept 2nd.
    Oh I like your by line as my dad threw a brick at me once but missed by '' that much. ha ha
    All I said was " Yeah well like father like son" & ZIP

25. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I would pay $120/hour at local shop. Happy to help a younger hot rodder out.

Edit: My dads 80 and he still does all this car maintenance, 9 cars ( I think, number keeps changing). :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Took three pages to get the fluids changed? Sheesh, give the job to somebody else, he's got money and he's had the oil changed before, even if he has to use his AAA card to have it hauled to a shop.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  27. Moselli

Moselli

I do free work and I do work that is not free. I am very selective on who I do the work for and the type of work.

I'm retired. I have a lot of skills but I don't excel at any of them. I do not agree to do any work which requires me to buy a special tool. I'm old, I have a lot of tools and I'm out of space in my garage.

After years of exhaustive scientific research, drinking beer, plotting data points, drinking beer, using validated statistical models, drinking more beer, I have developed an algorithm that gives me an instant and foolproof method to determine whether to charge for my work or do it gratis.

Age is a null factor. I observe the quality of the clothing, shoes, jewelry of the person and if they are wearing better stuff than I have...…. I charge.

28. 34Larry

34Larry

Being only 11 months away from 80 myself and having come in from crawling out from under my 34 lubing it and checking it over, like so many others here I say...…..it depends. If he is a senior on limited income, charge just for materials, donate your time, it may come back in spades and if not you'll feel so good about your self you wont be able to stand yourself. Some of geezers just cant do it anymore, to much pain. If he says he can carry the load, ask him what he considers fair.
    [QUOTE="Moselli, post: 12614111, member: 75301"

29. Interesting thread. I think I'd charge him 25 or $30 an hour plus supplies. My time is valuable to me.
    A story I heard from a coworker about 30 years ago:
    Herb was a gentle soul and his old neighbor lady had an old fairlane with a water pump leak. Herb says "You get the pump and I'll replace it for free." He snaps off the last water pump bolt on the 289 but doesn't get too excited. Removes the pump and grabs the stub with a pair of vice grips...snaps it off inside the front cover! Now he's upset and removes the front cover......grabs the stub again with vice grips and SNAP! Breaks it off flush with the block. Now he's heart sick...drills the bolt and breaks off an easy out in it. He had to borrow a wire feed welder to weld a nut on it and turn it out. Had to buy a new bolt, gasket set and easy out....the whole thing took him 2 weekends and his neighbor is still pissed at him.

little red 50, VANDENPLAS and X38 like this.
  30. 41woodie

41woodie

I'm 71, I very rarely hire work to be done but if I take my car to a commercial shop for work I expect to pay the going shop rate for the work done. Why wouldn't I?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.