Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much tire/wheel can you fit under a stock '64 Chevrolet car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by houseofhotrods, Mar 6, 2009.

1. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Here's a question for the day: How much tire and wheel can you fit under a 1964 Chevrolet in pretty much stock suspension configuration? Not talking 20's or anything, but vintage wheels and rubber, well probably radials as I would be driving it a lot.
    If I get the car, I have a complete set of old Americans, and I think the rears are 15 x 8 1/2's Fronts should be no problem. Anyone been there and done that??? I will probably squish it a bit too - at least in the front. thanks for any and all input. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  2. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Only going to buy car if your stuff will fit? When/if you get car just try your stuff to see if fits. Do measuring inside wheel wells and go from there.

4. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

I had 8x15 on my 64 belair..nice size tires and no rub.

5. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Here is my 63 taken in 1974. I still have the car but it is in storage and hasn't been driven since 1978. I ran 15x8 Keystones with oversize white letter tires I got at Sears who were getting out of the oversize tire business. As you can see they were fairly wide but I forget the tire size. All I remember is they were a 70 series. The only problem I had was a slight tire rub at the rear in a turn.

[​IMG]

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I did some work on a 64 that had 245/45/17's on new style cragars. the wheels were at least 8" if not 9" they had odd backspacing to make it all work. air bags with no modifications to the suspension except the front shock mounts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. twofosho

twofosho

BACK SPACING, BACK SPACING, BACK SPACING!!!!!

Measure your wheels from the mounting surface to a straight edge placed on the front wheel lip, add enough additional to your measurement to take in consideration tire bulge. Measure the car in question or one like it from the face of the brake drum to the fender lip. Although it's still going to be a bit of a crap shoot, if the measurement from the car is greater, it will probably work.

However, the only way you are going to absolutely know for sure is to mount the wheels and tires to the vehicle in question and see if you have clearance at ride height, and check it again bouncing it up and down. If it is good that way, park the vehicle with one tire on a high curb and check it again. NO RUB and you're probably good to go.

Personally, I can't ever remember allowing a particular set of wheel and tires to be the deal breaker if I wanted a specific car. You can always sell or trade what you have for something else that does work.

8. Ramblur

Ramblur

225/70R15 is easy on 6" wheels all the way around,would probably take a
    235/60 without too much trouble.

[​IMG]

9. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Already bought the car, the wheel deal is/was no dealbreaker - never has been never will be, it's a rust free So Cal A/C car until recently. Just wanted to see what size rims and weenies anyone had put under them - you know - use someone elses experience is always a help. I don't think my 8 1/2s will fit though. Has stock 14's on it with stock dog dish caps. The car has never been messed with, til now!! To those that posted helpful info - thank you! :)

10. brandon

brandon

cut the rearend ...those 8.5's will look right on.....if they are the ones i'm thinking of....:D

11. I've got a 62 with Hurst cheaters on 15 X 8's. Same wheelwell I think. It has plenty of room.
    [​IMG]

12. monsterflake

monsterflake

denver dave's 62 is wicked, but it is pretty high. my 62 was much lower and i ran 15x7 torque thrusts with hurst recaps (235/70 michelin case). they were a tight squeeze getting 'em on, but once they were in, they were fine.

i also have a set of eric vaughn modified torque thrusts, they were originally 15x6, but have new backside hoops to make a 15x9. they rubbed the 62's frame rail with a 275/60. i've run that same wheel with a 285/70 on later model (66-69-72) gm intermediates with a little hammer work, but you can't even get close with the 62, and i'm assuming the 64.

you could try a 255/70 on a neutral offset 15x7, that would look awesome if you can get it in the wheelwell!

13. monsterflake

monsterflake

let's see which wheel you have, maybe we can work something out... ;)