Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How much time needed for the Henry Ford Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TBone69, May 11, 2015.

1. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Hey Folks,

I'll be up in Charlevoix Michigan this summer and on the way home plan on stopping at the Henry Ford museum.

How much time realistically do I need for the museum and village? I am thinking 2 days? Suggestions on lodging.

Thanks
    Tom

2. LM14

LM14
    from Iowa

We spent an entire day in the museum a few years ago and it was a fairly fast walk-thru. Didn't have time for the village but they told us to plan at least a day for each to get a good idea of what is there. If you are detail oriented, I would plan 3 days. 1 museum, 1 village and 1 to go back and see more of what interested you the most.

Have a fun time. Food and drink inside the museum is fairly spendy from what I remember.
    SPark

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

A full day for the museum and a full day for the village is sufficient. Expect a lot of walking , especially for the village.

4. At least 2 days if you are going to do Greenfield Village too.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. My last visit we spent most of the day in the museum and just did see everything,we needed another day for the village. HRP

6. Model T1

Model T1

Years ago we went to the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village many times. Once for an all Model T or A show. We'd spend most of a day at each. Back then they had back room restoration shop guided tours and other things of interest.
    Once I was allowed behind the ropes to take photos of the 100,000th or something 1926 T. I was restoring a 26 touring just like it back them. Mine was an early model.
    If we went back today it would take around a year to get thru each part.:rolleyes:

As for lodging we used to camp. A few times we freeloaded off friends near Melvindale.

7. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

If you want high-end, the Dearborn Inn is almost right across the street. Henry Ford built it for his airport. Adoba and The Henry (formerly Ritz) are nearby at Fairlane Town Center. A few rungs down the ladder are Best Western Greenfield Inn and Holiday Inn Express, both on Enterprise Drive near Oakwood. All pretty close.

8. Hyfire

Hyfire

Like stated above, two full days if you are doing just the museum and village. Don't rush either. Ad a half a day if you are going to the Ford truck factory tour. It departs from the parking lot of the museum.

9. Take some time and hit the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum on the way home as well- might be a little out of your way, but it's well-worth the trip. Only need a half-to-full day for that one :)

Model T1 and Maverick Daddy like this.
  10. Studebaker Museum In Southbend Indiana Is worth seeing Also!

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

If they'd let, I'd live there.

12. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Thanks folks, certainly didn't want to sell myself short and not have enough time to enjoy everything. I'm really looking forward to it.

13. 59 brook

59 brook

you can spend all day being driven around the village in numerous restored model a's or t's. its only a few bucks a ride

14. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

I saw pics of that online and was hoping that is what i was seeing.