Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much shock absorber travel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Frank

Frank

I'm working on my shock mounts tonight when I realize I may have a problem of not enough travel. 2x3 frame, split wishbones, suicide spring perch. I am using F1 shock mounts and planned to connect the bottom of the shock to the side of the wishbone. At best it looks like I "might" get 2" of travel at the most without the shock hanging down too low. Do you suppose this is going to be enough?

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can you get a shorter shock? Maybe modify the F1 shock mount to be higher?

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I would think you would want at least 3" travel.. 2" down and 1" up.. However more in both directions would be nice........

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Nope need at least 3 ....down and 3 up ,More would be better .For your set up friction shocks would work better .

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Pete & Jakes shorty front shocks have 3 1/2" total travel..........

6. I've got Pete & Jakes shocks, they have 5.5 inches total travel. When I set up my front end did it with engine and trans in and at ride height. Set the shock in the middle of its travel and fit the upper bracket. I had to shorten the brackets that came with the front end I got from Ken ( Posies ) It really depends on how low you want the front end to be. But set the ride height first and then install the upper mount.

7. Frank

Frank

I just realized maybe I didn't describe it well. My travel UP, is about 2", not the total. This is with full weight of engine/trans and everything in place. While my shocks are not the advertised shorties from the catalogs, they must be about the same because the have 5 1/2" total travel too. So for upward deflection 2" is probably about right?

8. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

I can't believe you guys are telling frank what to do without even asking 2 simple questions.
    What is your spring rate and type?
    Where is the spring mounted? how far back from the centerline of the front axle?
    The wheel travel is what you have to know,then you have to simulate the travel and measure the travel where the shock will be mounted.
    3'' of shock travel could mean 5'' of wheel travel,depending on how its all laid out.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Most shock makers will give you a mounted length, which is the length you need between the mounts when sitting loaded at ride height.

Build your mounts accordingly and you will have what you need for compression and rebound too.

10. Frank

Frank

I'll take some pics and post. I couldn't really tell you anything about the spring though.

11. I've laid out a few, and if the axle moves 3 inches the wheel moves 3 inches. You want the shock in the middle of its travel at ride height.

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I belive you want 2/3 down travel 1/3 up travel..but I could be wrong..