Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much room do you have to work in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kennb, Dec 18, 2012.

1. waine

waine

I have a car and a half gararge and just built a 14 x 12 work shop.Never seem to have enough space.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  2. txturbo

txturbo

I have a 2-1/2 car garage...with a car, a motorcycle and all my tools...including an 8' long blasting cabinet. Mostly work outside.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes I would kill for a two car garage Don!
    I've got a single car garage, that my gasser shares with a full sized road bike, a lathe, and a mill, plus my rollaround, and numerous other tools. I also have a 10'x20' canopy in the backyard that I built my gasser in, as there just wasn't room in the garage, and my other car was in there at the time.

4. ebfabman

ebfabman

Still in the works. Sure beats laying on my back in a gravel driveway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  5. colorado51

colorado51

I ran out of room in my attached 20' x 20' garage. I live in a residential neighborhood, so I had no room to build a shed or small second garage. So I ended up leasing a 750sf shop/warehouse space about a mile from my house. It has a roll-up door, good lighting, heat, water, etc. I have been leasing it for a few years now, and just re-signed for another 2-years.

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here's mine yesterday...hard to get to sometimes...

R-

[​IMG]

7. marcello7x

marcello7x
    from Boston

the progression of my work-space in the past 2 years has been quite extreme.

It all started under here, a typical italian grape vine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From that it went to under a canvas carport in the driveway.
    [​IMG]

For a short time it sat under this tent while the canvas carport came down, and new metal carport went up. Metal carport is in the crate:
    [​IMG]

Then it was the metal carport
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally a 3 floor, 4 car garage! This is what sold me on the house. I didn't have the money to build something after buying so i had to buy something with a garage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its sad how quickly more projects accumulate once you have the space for it. I have every bay full, plus a car back at my parents house in the metal carport. The space will almost always never be enough. the more space you get, the more stuff you buy to fill it.

8. 327Eric

327Eric

Dirt yard, with parts shoved under the house and tools on the porch. The henry J is in my dads yard 4 hours away, but i get a concrete slab to work on there.

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I have just enough to swing a small dog in about a 270 degree arc.

10. willymakeit

willymakeit

Any info on the wheel barrow rod ? Might want to build one for my gsons.

11. rat nasty

rat nasty

looks like its hauling a harley?

12. jazz1

jazz1

I put off building my garage for a few months when I bought house,,till the wife said "enough of this shit" She was holding a flashlight while I was putting a cv joint in her car. It was -30 degrees..had the garage up within 30 days... 24x30 plus two sheds 12x16 & 8x12.. We all adapt regardless of what we have to work with or work without..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  13. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

40x80 3200sf and 2ac

14. Big D n' snuffy

Big D n' snuffy

Have a 24x24 attached garage. Also have a 15x20 car port. I have worked for nine years out in the weather. The worst is when you have a garage but its too cluttered to even turn around in...:eek:

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got the opposite problem. A big old barn with loads of space. But it's airy and pretty much impossible to heat. I'm gonna have to do some kind of partition...maybe even plastic sheeting.

16. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Too much workshop space is like having too much money, just not possible. I have a 1500 sq ft shop with all the tools and I still never get anything done.

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I would prefer to call them Ovens :eek:

18. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

Not enough room to change my mind.

19. A lot more now that we've got the wife's upholstery business into her own shop rather than the garage!

20. Zeke

Zeke

More room than I need.

Attached Files:

21. outlaw256

outlaw256

im know im a lucky guy,well as far as room goes. i have a 48x60 3 door metal shop.that has a home made paint booth thats 30 x 20 in one corner. inside of that booth is a glass 41 willys and a old harley trike.the rest is plume full. i have 2 harleys a ot 74 nova, a ot 67 impala, 2 mig welders 19 engines 2 big steel teachers desks. 2 big rollaround boxes 3 4x8 work benches a few freestanding shelves, big roll around fan,roll around chargers and a big coke box.the kind with 2 drs. and glass you can see in. on top of the paintbooth is chrome trim by the ft.lots of ft. good bucket seats i dont know how many and a bunch of other stuff i dont rememeber. i got so much crap on the walls i couldnt hang a poster anywhere in there. we call that buildin the hotrod shop. across my drive way is the bike shop.which we built out of a old 12 x 24 building with a wood floor. i added a lean-to 24x36 off of the room and filled it in and poured concrete.the wood floor part we have a bike lift table with a harley on it. that thing has been on that table for 3 yrs. my sons project.a big desk, a metal cabinet and a filing cabinet,that side is full so on down stairs to the lean to.suppose to be for the bikes. well it was at one time.now it has a 48 flathead ford pu and nest to it sits my sons 47 pu. 3 long metal wire shelves and i dont even know what the hell is on them .all around the trucks is drill press and more parts wheels tires sittin all around. oh yeah we have a tire rack in there too. i work in a spot about as big as a car in the hotrod shop or the driveway because i have no room anywhere else..and 2 out buildings around back that i cant even get in to see whats in there..and im still buying stuff.

22. triumph 1

triumph 1

I now have a 48'x32' shop with 14' ceilings and wish that it was bigger. I also have a 24'x24' attached to my house as well as a 40' steel container. The more room you have, the more stuff you collect. My wife calls me a hoarder?

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Some of you guys have it made!

I work out of a single-car garage. Thankfully, it's part of my basement, so some parts/equipment storage is in the basement and not in the way in the garage.

[​IMG]

Malcolm

24. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Not a whole lot but more space than most 16 year olds have. My dad isn't into the whole car scene so i house my car and tools there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Heres mine. Didn't feel like walking out in the snow to get shots of my 2 Costco poratable garages, or the 2 metal 3 sided carports with my 2 manx dune buggys My TT, the blown 42 international bat truck and my Luv stepside. The costcos are full of PARTS plus my sons 23 T body and the wifes 29 Coupe. 3 belly tanks and a glass t bucket sitting next to an old sprint car chassis. This typings burning me out I need to get back to my modified build.
    3 tries to get pics to post screw this I got weldin to do.

26. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

You cant have to big a shop !!!!!! Mine is 80' x 80' and 16 ' high cealings and it aint big enough. Soon i hope t be relocating and going 120x120x16 but i,ve been at it for a lifetime it seems as i,am a old fella.
    Bob

27. Not much. I have just enough room to get by the one side. To top it all off I can't roll it outside as the driveway is sloped and I have no way to get it back in so I work in cramped quarters.:D

[​IMG]

28. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I started with a 1930's vintage single, and built a 2 1/2 car in front of it...it's STILL not enough space.

Attached Files:

29. iarodder

iarodder

Well, mine started out as a 20x22 and was such a pain to work in, then as I bought more tools and junk that I didn't need I went to the city and got a permit for an addition. So now its a 30x22 and its still cramped quarters, hopefully in a few more years I can build an additional building or I will be forced to move for more room. (couldn't imagine what a joy that will be) Mind you I've got a big tool box, welder, air compressor, drill press, bench, sheet metal brake,etc... you get the idea.