Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much oil do I have????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ford-Man, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

I need some dipstick help!:eek: No...not that kind of dipstick :D...

My truck is running a '65 289. I put a late model 302 rear sump pan on it for clearance reasons underneath for when it gets lowered. The stock 289 timing cover has a provision for a dipstick on the lower passenger side front of the cover which worked great for a front sump pan because the majority of the oil was up front. Now, on my setup it is in the rear. I need to know if I can still get an accurate reading from the front dipstick on a rear sump pan. I know the pan is a 5 quart pan and I have a dual oil filter relocation setup that holds 2 quarts. I should be right at 5 quarts in my pan right now and the dipstick (although to long) still reads. I would need to clip the stick and mark where full was, but will this be accurate once my truck is up and driving?

2. Does your dip stick reach down into the sump?

That's ideal if it reaches into the sump. If its just laying in the front part of the pan its not going to work for ya.

You may have to put a provision on the sump for a dip stick to poke into. I've seen cars with a place riveted on the side of the pan. I don't recall the motor though but it wouldn't be hard to fab.

3. Paul2748

Paul2748

No - there should be a provision in the pan for a dipstick in the main part (rear sump) of the pan.

4. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

There is none. All there is in the pan itself is the oil sending unit.

The dipstick does reach down into the sump. To far...in fact. I need to cut it because it rubs against the bottom of the pan anyway. I figured I would clip it until it no longer rubs, and make my full mark and run it a little to see if it reads the same...ish when I shut it down.

5. pauls fords

pauls fords

It's not an oil sender it's a LOW OIL ALLERT SWITCH. If it's a Bronco or a Truck oil pan it takes 6 qts to fill the system, truck pans only have one drain plug. If it has 2 drain plugs it's a car and only holds 5 qts, With 2 filters you need 7 qts to fill the system with a pick-up oil pan, 6 qts if it is a car, after you start and fill the filters shut it down and wait a minute for oil drain down then cut your dip stick and re-mark where your oil level is, the edge of a file works well to make a full line.

6. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

Thanks. Thats exactly what I was looking for.:D