Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How much is too much? making a 32 Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noland, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Noland

Noland

Im starting my build of my 31 model A which will be on a 32 frame. Im still working on the frame. I just ordered the trans adapter the other day but thats besides the point. This questions about the body Ive been wondering about. I been plan on putting a 32 header and windsheild on the car, its a coupe. Then I was thinking about welding 32 wheelwells on the car,they need replaced anyways because of rust. I also was thinking of building rockers like a 32 just a little taller and rolling the doors corners because it need replaced anyways. In order to do this I think I have to change the door overlap so it doesnt overlap anymore. The car is going to have a stainless firewall so that not 32 or model A. My main concern is how much is to much. Im not trying to make a 32 just I like the way the windsheild looks. I like the way the wheelwells follow with the frame and the plans with the rockers was to make them maybe 3'' tall with a bodyline in them. sort of like they did on the channelled cars in the sixties just not as drastic and this cars only going to be channelled about 1/2''. I just keep thinking Im overdoing it and its going to look like someone tried to make a 32 out of a 31 model A. Im just curious what your opinions are on this. good or bad. thanks

2. This is gonna take a shitload of panel beating. You're either going to need a lot of spare time and incredible skills, or a trust fund. Find yourself a Deuce 5W and use the rest of the $$ to put your kids thru college :D

3. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

i like the look of 32 wheel wells on a 30/31 model A, Bass did a great job of a 32 header on a model A,,but i'm sure you already know that,:D ,,,i dont know,,you didnt say anything about a 32 gas tank...not that it matters :D,,, personally, i wouldnt worry about people thinking your tryng to be a 32,pretty sure no one said that to Brian,,,,remeber... mostly the people complaing are the ones who dont even have a hot rod....

4. Do it man, sounds good. All the panels you want to use are after market apart from the header panel, It took me over a year to find a good one.

Are you talking about the hollywood door treatment? i love that look.......goofy but cool. You will get some shit for doing it, but go for it I say.
    Keep us up to date.

5. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Yup, bass's car is flipping sick!

6. Modifying any old Ford body takes a keen eye and a vast knowledge of Ford's styling to pull it off.

Sam

7. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

It's hard to beat a chopt A coupe on deuce rails...

8. Remember that less is more. Just do enough to achieve the look you want without over doing it.

I would thow that dude up on the board and have someone photo chop it. or find one similar like an A coupe on deuice rails an have someone photo chop it for you. Then you can see if you are going to get what you think or if it is going to be an abortion.

Does that make any sense?

9. Noland

Noland

Yea I know its alot of work, it would take almost as much work to make the car a decent looking Model A again. it not like Im cutting up a perfect Model A to do this. I already have the Header because Ive been planning this for awhile now and collecting parts. Im going to do the work myself and I think I got enough skills to pull it off. It might not be a perfect metalfinish car but I ll make it decent. Thanks everyone for the insperation and giving me the push to go for it. Oh yes Brian Basses car is completly bad ass. Ill keep you posted on my build thead but like I said earlier Im still only on the frame part of the build.

10. F&J

F&J

I always wanted to chop a Model A coupe and then turn the rear quarter windows upside down. (switch left to right, after flipping)

To me, the Model A coupe quarter windows look upside down (only if it gets chopped), because the radius is all wrong on the lower rear curve. Seems like it would look kinda like a 32 if flipped.

11. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Psh.. You can do anything you want to it! I'd like to see the progress pictures when you get into the body part.

With my coupster build, I've had comments ranging from "you should have made a coupe out of it" to "just get a roadster instead" but that wouldn't be as much fun. I like the challenge of making a coupster look right. It's only my first ground-up build but screw that, I'm having fun every step of the way. Build it like you want to and you won't regret it.

12. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

I would do it like porknbeaner says...get someone to photoshop it for you. Anyone any good at it could do that in no time at all. Then you can see exactly what it will be. Just be subtle with it so people will say..." wait a minute..somethings not right here...what is it...what's going on?" Do it your way...that's what it's all about...always has been.

13. Noland

Noland

d-russ you are correct the only way to make a 32 header look good in a model A is to slant the post back. Ive seen your build and its been very inspiring. Thanks everyone.

14. slick a&t

slick a&t

Here's another pic of one w/32 header and windshield.

Attached Files:

15. Noland

Noland

it doesnt look quite like a 32 header. Im planning on chopping my coupe 2 or 2 1/2 inches so it doesnt look so tall.

16. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

here is another pic of that car from this years goodguys in columbus from a differnet view

[​IMG]

17. Noland

Noland

thanks, that car looks great for the header being pieced together from stuff. I was considering do this until I bought a 32 header. A mid ninetys jeep grand cherekee rear lift gate looks like it will almost work. I know it would still take alot of work but it seems possible.

18. Dyce

Dyce

Needs about a 4" chop, but the header looks good.