Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods how much is to much

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low down A, Sep 21, 2017.

1. low down A

low down A

I took 4 new coker firestones up to get mounted today. both fronts 6.00-16 balanced out at 2 and 3 ounces one back 7.50-16 took 2.5 ounce the other was 11.75 ounces. we moved the tire around several places on the rim made no difference. my question is how much weight can you put on a rim before the tire is considered defective. 11.75 ounces looks ugly on back side of rim and is way more than I've ever seen on a rim

els and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 11 oz is too much.

Bandit Billy, Hatchet, els and 3 others like this.
  3. That is a lot. Were the wheels new to you also or were they ones you had used before and not part of the problem?
    Can you contact the seller or manufacturer rep. to see what they are willing to do about it?

els likes this.
  4. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Typycal coker tires. When will we learn?

Hnstray, iwanaflattie and els like this.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

banging gears X2. I wouldn't waste my money.

5.0clay, iwanaflattie and els like this.
  6. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The weight is not the worst thing, let them run on the balancer and see if they are also out of round. You will see the tread wobble up and down... I had a few 560-15 cokers I had to shave to get them round... car had a terrible wobble ab 50-65 mph.

Hatchet and els like this.
  7. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Can you start off by seeing if the bare wheels will balance, they might be way off. If not I would say it is the tires.

Andamo, Hatchet and els like this.
  8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup. Could be bad wheels.

9. BJR

BJR

He said he moved the tire around on the wheel with no difference, so it's not the wheel. You got to read what the OP posts before replying.

10. raven

raven

I had the same experience with them.
    r

els and Baumi like this.
  11. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

You can not rule out the wheel unless you tried a different wheel and still had a balance problem....Moving the same tire on same wheel same problem, does not eliminate one...

tfeverfred, els and Truck64 like this.
  12. CME1

CME1

11 oz is way too much weight to put on any wheel. This much wheel weight will cause other problems if not corrected. If you bought tires new from Coker, or a dealer, you should call them and request an exchange. The tire itself sounds to be out of round.

13. dan31

dan31

Diamond back tire ,no problem ever and 11 is too much. If you move the tire around on the rim and the point of off balance moves with it then it's got to be the tire,right?.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If you want to run bias ply tires, there's not a lot of choices out there.. I don't think you're ever going to get bias plies to run as smooth as radials but who wants radials on a hot rod..

15. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

I had problems with my Coker Radials being way out of round. They would balance but were so out of round you could really feel it going down the road. To be fair I contacted Coker and once I had them road force balanced they replaced them at a prorated cost. I think your best bet will be to get them road force balanced to see what is really going on with the tires.

16. Rand Man

Rand Man

This is a risk for anyone wanting to run these tires. I have sent back a pair before. They didn't hassle me, but by the time you pay shipping and re-mount fees. . .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^ IMHO, If Coker insists on shipping out/selling out of round or out of balance tires (because of their production errors and poor QC practices), they should pick up the shipping both ways on the return.
    11 oz. is WAY too much. That's nearly 3/4 of a pound!

greasyfairlane and Hnstray like this.
  18. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one of my Coker Bias look radials that couldn't be balanced on my wire wheels. The guy told me that the wheel was so out of round he couldn't get it to balance correctly. I bought him a different wheel and he mounted and balanced the tire with no problem. These were 34 wire wheels I had bought used. Three of the four were good but that last one was not.

19. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

FWIW last summer I purchased the 4 Firestone's shown on my avatar Lincoln from Coker.
    I mounted and trued them and found them to be acceptably round. I shaved very little rubber off of them.
    The stock rims are surprisingly true as well. Very little weight was required to balance.

20. hahahaha yeah !!! That's going to happen

21. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

When I was mounting tires, a new tire with 6 oz was a lot and borderline, but some coopers did take 6 and ran ok.
    11 oz is way to much. I do like the idea to spin it on the balancer and see if it is out of round.

22. A Boner

A Boner

Tell me this isn't a joke.

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Try that tire on a different wheel.

24. Internal balance pads /

image.png

Rand Man likes this.
  25. low down A

low down A

i'm not going to rule out the wheel. before I get a hold of coker I want to try another wheel I know there going to want to blame it on the wheel. problem is I don't have another wheel. if anybody has one they would be willing to sell i'm buying. 16x4.5 with 4.5 bolt pattern, early mopar maybe truck wheel. I have the 4inch wide car rims on front they are easy to find

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Just swap the tires on the wheels you have.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  27. I'm on my 5 set of Coker bias ply tires and used one set of their radial whitewalls,Bias ply tires generally take more weight and are never perfect,the Firestone molds are ancient.

If you want your car to ride like a new car use Diamondback radials. HRP

porkshop likes this.