Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How much HP and TQ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J Man, Jul 16, 2016.

1. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

How much horse power and torque can a '50's GM frame handle comfortably with some bracing before it gets to the point of just building a new frame?

2. You might want to narrow down question, do you mean Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick or Chevrolet? Do you mean truck?

Charlie Stephens

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X frame or perimeter would be the most important question.

4. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

It would be a car as I need it to seat four. Not brand specific at the moment as I am looking for something. If I put the motor I want in it it will be high HP but I am leaning toward a BOP model.

5. redo32

redo32

Just think of all the tri-5 Chevy's that were drag raced for decades with little more that traction bars. Of course when you break something that's what you upgrade next.

Mark Hinds and Baumi like this.
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Your question is too general and impossible to answer. I will say GM cars are inferior to Chrysler products in strength and probably to Ford products as well. See this video of brand new, and very expensive 1958 GM cars folding up and doors popping open under stress while Chrysler and Ford cars sail along without harm.

Comparison test Part 2https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrKAVfS3Ui0&list=PL772B2BDE147E3D9A

Are you talking about Bonneville speed records, drag racing, or general street and road use?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What brand? Which 50's? What is your idea of high horsepower and torque?

8. 90% chance the stock chassis will be fine as is it was from the factory, maybe you'll need a brace or two here and there to get your combo in the frame. If it's rusty and thinned it won't be as the factory intended.

On the 10% chance you'll be installing serious power for max effort and a suspension that will put the power to the ground with a purposeful intent to run faster than 10.99 - then you need a cage. That cage adds significant strength and again the frame will be fine with that cage.

That's my opinion any way.
    But I ain't trying to sell you a chassis either

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Fords didn't do all that well and Chryslers are ugly.

belair likes this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

hey guys! If you thought the " what was the first small-block Chevy powered hot rod?" thread turned into a stupid fest, pull up a chair!:rolleyes::D

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I'd say about 500 hp and 500 lbs/ft. Give or take. Depending on numerous variables. More than likely.

12. squirrel

squirrel

500 hp is no problem

13. Almost any full chassis on a 1950's car was over kill. They are massively strong.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From vintage parts?

15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

LOL! :D

16. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

But you are stupid enough to reply and contribute nothing to the thread.

bobss396 likes this.
  17. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Thank you to those why helped.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

How much hp will a fifties gm
    chassis handle? WAAAAY more than anyone stupid enough to not be able to answer the question above will EVER make...:pthere, that's TWICE I have helped you out.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    shown50 likes this.
  19. indyjps

indyjps

Chassis stress is mainly going to come from hooking up at the dragstrip. Dragstrip safety rules will be your primary concern before you worry about frame failure. You'll need a cage to run before you break the frame.

If you're not racing, 500 hp in a car that doesn't hook up - doesn't really matter, tires are spinning you're not torquing the frame significantly.

Old rusty frames would be more of a concern where they've lost significant strength thru rusted, thinned areas.

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For me, anything under about 500HP isn't really all that serious. Hell a new performance car and a payment plan will get you that, and on/in a stock unibody to boot. If the plan is a fire breathin big block making a pant load of TQ, be smart and safe, build accordingly. A few pieces of roll bar tubing or rectangle/box steel weighs little but works a lot. Even with all that I'd still like to know more.

falcongeorge likes this.
  21. How much will it handle for WHAT? What are you going to do with it? Drag Race, Race Baja, AutoCross, Rally, or just drive it to the cruise night and do stupid burnouts? Are you going to actually do something to make it Hook Up either in a straight line or cornering? You could put 1,000 HP in it and you'll break a lot more shit before the frame.
    Way too many variables to answer with any kind of useful information .....

22. Short and sweet :)

shown50 likes this.
  23. indyjps

indyjps

Ok J Man, we've busted your balls a little. Tell us more about your engine, sounds like you have it built already. I'm guessing B O P variety.

24. Man there ain't even a car to talk about yet.
    Try this : Tell 5 people that you have " a lot" of money in your pocket right now and ask them to guess how much. You will get answers all over the place because to some $5.00 is a lot and to some $500,000 ain't enough. The ones who know what $500,000 looks like & know it won't fit in your pocket will tell you that you don't have any money.

Tell a traditional hot rod site where AA supercharged and 100 HP banger engines commingle with 1950 thru 1959 design changes that you want a "high HP" engine in a 50s frame and you'll get about the same type of replies.

shown50, falcongeorge and indyjps like this.