Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Much Have You Gone Over Budget?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Feb 26, 2010.

1. haha I agree

but as for budget, I keep track of what I spend but I dont really set a budget..I'll have a figure in my head and I usually stay pretty close to around there

$30+ into a car is a lot, I dont have that much or I'd have some badass cars, I usually budget around $9,000 per car and go from there

2. AMEN on that!

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Big Whoopi ... :mad: :mad:

Quit your whining ...

How much do you think this coupe cost ??

[​IMG]

40 would be a drop in the bucket ...

Or these ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fact is ...

Building GOOD, quality car is not CHEAP.
    Most rodders have WAY more money in a ride than it is actually worth.

I know I do ...

There are a FEW exceptions. But most of them would have more money in them ( in real dollars ) IF they had kept better track of the expenses ...

4. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

What he said.

5. Master of None

Master of None

Deuce roadster that 32 3 window is bad ass!

6. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Well said right there :)

Most rodders have WAY more money in a ride than it is actually worth.
    I know I do ...

As long as your having fun who cares.

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

That 3W was built right here on the HAMB.
    Hamber ... 3WLarry was the owner ... and the man playing the bills.
    He sold it for NORTH of 100 grand to Bruces Meyers who then sold it to a friend of his. :D

3WLarry lost ... large $$$ ... even with the large sale price.

I mean he lost Large .. :eek:

But sometime you just have to let them go ... :rolleyes:

If I told you how deep I am in this ... you would call me either a liar or stupid.
    MAYBE both.

But that's OK ... I do not plan to sell it. :D

[​IMG]

8. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I have never had a budget, but I also never had a time frame. I just do it as time and money allow, with an idea of the overall cost somewhere out there. I bought a 32 Tudor, incomplete, for 8K. I'm now into it about 13K, with another 5K to go. But it's the most enjoyable thing for me. Makes me think alot. Keeps my old brain young(er).

9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

budget. haha. man, don't keep track of that shit..........

10. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

damn i never budget over 6000. next on my plate im building a 32 roadster and for this build im sure i wont even come near 6000.

11. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Days like this make me wish I never got hooked on cars. But it gets better over time you will forget about the money. At least I did.

12. walter

walter

I never go over budget! I keep track of everything I buy for the roadster and keep a copy of all receits in a drawer in the garage. If the stack gets to tall I know I am close to being over budget so I discard part of the pile that way I can always come in under budget.

13. nwaringa

nwaringa

This whole damn hobby is over budget.... why do you think rat rodders exist. It ain't because of their cool haircuts and love of rusted junk.

14. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

DueceRoadster, that is a beautiful car. NEVER sell it

15. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I made a mistake. I have 19K in it now and another 5 to go to make it driveable

16. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

well as for the budget.....do I include all the tools I needed to buy to do my cars?????

if so we are all wayyyyyyyyy over

17. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I'm not so sure about that... I figure buying tools will save me money in the long run. I don't have to pay someone else to do it. :cool:

18. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

I would like to see a pic of this 10K "Rust Bucket". :eek: pigpen

19. magoo

magoo

You only need to worry about how much the wife thinks you have spent

20. whisky runner

whisky runner

a budget...humm must be some technical term i am not familiar with...ha ha ha i just started another one yesterday...parked it right next to the other money pits..ha ha ha but i need em all ..really i do..ha ha ha ..look in here at the cars marked project...im no virgin..ha ha ha ..seems like once its done someone always offers more than i can stand..or i'm just a glutton for punishment..ha ha

link... http://s202.photobucket.com/home/rcplumley/allalbums

[​IMG]

21. Some pride, a couple high end vintage musclecars, A LARGE HELPING OF CROW............

22. inkmunky

inkmunky

My sentiments exactly, if i don't set a budget i never go over :D

23. 1320/150

1320/150

That means you'll be underbudget for the next!!

24. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

He hit it right. Unless you are in business and building to sell for a profit, who cares? Why do you need to know? If you can afford that part, get it. If you can't afford it, save upo until you can. One day the damn thing is finished and you are happy. Never kept track and it hasn't caused me any gas pains.
    WAIT.....
    I just reread your posting. Are you paying someone to build your car? If the answer is "yes", I have no idea how to reconcile any form of budget. At the start, get an estimate. When the car is done, that is the amount you pay. Maybe a bit more. What does a budget have to do with it? If you can't afford the estimate, or close to it, you shouldn't have started.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  25. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

budget I'm 22 years old and I'll build traditional hot rods before I'll eat. heck i just built 3500 sqft of garage to fill!!!! But who cares it is all about the love of hot roding

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  26. duste01

duste01

Budget? thats like the saleman asking you "what payment can you afford to pay?" I know a guy that suckered himself into paying enough payments and interest for a dodge dakota that by the time he got done paying for it, he had spent 58 thousand dollars. I dont have a car payment and you dont have a budget. Be happy with your maintenence bills on the car of your dreams, just keep the ledger under wraps and forget about the comparison.

27. HotRod33

HotRod33

Hey when you do an introduction... post some pictures of your car....

28. golden31

golden31
    from Omaha, NE

Budget?........I think I started out with one of those but I lost it along the way. But it is done right and I feel good about it.

29. yeah,,

I got a deal on the house and spent a dump truck load of money on it for the last 37 years,,went way over budget.

I'm another one of those guys that have a understanding wife and enjoys the old cars and as long as we have food on the table and the bills are paid what ever I spend is ok with her.

I don't have any other hobbies so my creative outlet is in the shop.

When I drug the rusty old wagon out of the barn my inital thought was I could get it running and on the road for around 5 grand.

7 years latter I have a desk drawer full of paid invoices which I have never stopped to tally up what has been spent,,I really don't care,,the wagon has been part of the family since it was new and will remain in the family.

I ain't in quiet that deep.

good idea. HRP

30. jbergman

jbergman

No budget here, I consider my cars a hobby, I didn't think you need a budget for a hobby. I never have and probably never will make money on the sale of one of my cars. It just don't seem to work that way for me.