Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How much for louvers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 24 Dodge, Apr 8, 2017.

1. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thinking of getting some louvers in my hood, what should I expect to pay for the setup and each louver? I am in Syracuse N. Y.

2. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Give Pete a call at Louvers Unlimited. He is in Craryville NY and can tell you exactly what it will cost to do your job. Does excellent work, Rollin Bones cars are a good example.

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Realize that you dont punch on a painted hood, so add to the cost of paint removal and to repaint the hood

4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know what hood you have but I wanted a hood with louvres to match the louvre trunk lid that was on my 31 roadster when I got it. Checked around the area where I live and didn't find anyone that does this type stuff so started looking at alternatives. One was taking the hood apart and sending it across the country to the guys that do it professionally but all told the cost made it about the same as just buying a Rootlieb hood already louvred. Being one to not give up I bought a somewhat crusty hood off C'list for $25 and ordered louvre panels off Ebay for $50. I figured I couldn't make the hood any worse than it was with my welding :D and if anything worked out right I might get some louvres out of it. So far it looks like this might work ok. I am in the process of filling and sanding at this point and not done yet... I have a friend who will paint it for me once I get it prepped and I already have the paint from getting the body done so I don't really have additional cost there. So this is about as inexpensive as I could do it. I had worked with a buddy many years ago to do a 47 Ford hood by hand and guys that do this work earn their money by the way... Note: I tacked the hinge so it would be easier to work on and will take out the tacks when done.
    20170409_101816.jpg 20170409_101806.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Back in the early ninetys I had my 47 ford hod punched it was $1.00 a hole. I had 102 punched and when it came time to pay the guy charged me $75. Sorry this doesnt help you. But it brought back a good memory for me.

6. I get two bucks a punch with a fifty dollar minimum. More if I have to remove inner structure or paint.

7. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Ah, nothing like $1.00 a hole memory to bring about some scary mental images.....
    er, waitaminute.....

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  8. putz

putz
    from wisc.

buck each , set up $25 , 3 different shops i have used .............

9. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

i used to charge .35 ea. now a 6pack.

dana barlow likes this.
  10. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I charge $2.00 a louvre. If the hood needs cleaning, disassembly etc. I charge a setup fee. Strip it first.

11. phat rat

phat rat

Gordon, it looks like the louvers are various sizes unless it's an optical illusion. If they are the guy who did those should have his louver press taken away

Scooterville likes this.
  12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

phat rat, after spending a day sanding in and around them I think they are pretty consistent in size and shape. In the picture there is some filler that has run up the sides of some of them and the angle of the picture makes them look somewhat out of line or different shapes but they aren't. I just took a quick phone shot so its probably more the lack of a quality image than anything else.

13. phat rat

phat rat

Good that's why I referred to an optical illusion. I couldn't believe someone could do that bad a job.

14. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. Got mine done in Centreville, MD by Sean at Dowco Enterprises LLC. My hood and decklid are in the 4th row down in the link. I think he was around $2 a louver. And that was with me removing the paint off for him. I'm pretty happy with how it they turned out.
    http://www.dowcoenterprises.com/hotrodlouvers/evenmore.html

16. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I charge $2 per louver, including set up as long as the part doesn't need a lot of clean up or work ahead of time.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.