Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much fluid in a 9" Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Legs, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

I've got my 1957 9" Ford together and installed and is completely dry with no fluid inside, and generally I know you fill the rearend until the fluid just comes out of the fill hole in the side of the pumpkin but.......

This rearend is rotated up 4 degrees and it looks like the bottom of the fill hole is about even or maybe a hair above the bottom of the axle tubes so this weekend I was adding fluid to it (2-1/4 quarts so far) and I'm assuming this fluid is starting to fill the axle tubes and I'm just concerned that if I add fluid to the bottom of the fill like normal it would be overfull????

Thanks!

2. Drive Em

Drive Em

I pour 3 quarts in and call it done on any 9" Ford.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I doubt 4 degrees will cause you to overfill. Just stick your pinky in the hole and see if it's close. If it is then stop when you can reach fluid, instead of when it runs out.

4. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

ok cool, I figured that I just needed to add more no matter what but it just seemed I've added a ton since the bottles are bigger than the average "quart of oil" and it takes a long time to fill through that little hole. I kept looking on the ground to see if it was leaking out lol

thanks again guys!

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put an angle finder on the roof of the car. Zero it, (or record its reading)

Now, jack up the rear 4 degrees from where you started...But, as BB427 stated, 4 degrees won't make much difference.