Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much did you spend on your steering wheel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harris, Oct 26, 2008.

1. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1>Got a Luigi for <!-- / icon and title -->99cents on ebay, shipping was less than ten$. Needed some repair. After doing that I'll eventually sand/stain/varnish. Might have twenty five total in it when I'ts finished.

Attached Files:

2. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

I had the ugliest steering wheel in the world. Isn't it some thing how a dollar shortage can inspire. Five bucks for a cover, a little elbow grease and paint and some machine time can make a big difference. Here are before and after pic's. I don't know if it's any prettier but it sure is different.

A - original wheel - a.jpg

A - Steering Wheel 1950 F1 02-a.jpg

3. jerry sezar

jerry sezar

I use cheap ass wheels on my personal cars usually obtained as somebody else's throw away, or it came with the car.....some of my customers on the other hand can be quite picky.....I then contact J.B. Donaldson and send them the money for a mold....around 2K........wait awhile....they make the wheel and it cost around 1K......plus shipping....worth the wait and worth the price....perfect.......:D

4. Jettback50

Jettback50

Love these pearl wheels. How much am I thinking?

5. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Wow you have all the cool stuff. I'll take the Corvette wheel, neighbor needs the white Ford wheel and the Black/White Mercury? wheel is really cool. Now about the finned valve covers.................COOL SHIT.

6. Philbilly

Philbilly

I paid $185 for a reproduction style steering wheel for my 54 F-100. I also got a 51 Ford Victoria steering wheel off of ebay for $47.

7. devilleish

devilleish

I gave $25 for one of those in '94... Put it in my '74 Dart.
    Got the 3-spoke 3-hole foam grip wheel (pre-Grant) in my Wagoneer for free.
    Picked a '55 Mercury wheel with a busted horn ring out of a Merc wagon my boss was taking to the shredder about 8 years ago. Still got it somewhere.

Looking to adapt my stock '55 Chevy truck wheel to the tilt/tele column out of my '84 DeVille - blew up the Caddy so I'm scrappin' it and saving what I think I can use.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  8. Kerry67

Kerry67

I got a nice vintage Green Metal Flake wheel for $60. Found it at Good-Guys about a half hour after selling one in worse condition for $90.

9. hellisterrodder

hellisterrodder
    BANNED
    from Hollister

I wouldnt give you 5 bucks for that turd:D

10. rub it in!!!!!!!!!

11. Ive got about 25 flake /wood/vinyl wheels.the one on the 56 I bought at goodguys for 35 bucks

Attached Files:

12. Gunch

Gunch

Nothing. I stole it from 55FORDWGN last fall

13. This is the wheel I want to put in my roadster. I have a red 17" Schroeder (sp?) sprint car wheel in it now to do the fab work, but, as good as it feels, it looks too new for a late '60's early '70's hot rod.
    We have two swap meets coming up in the next couple of weeks and there will be a TON of steering wheels to choose from. Can't wait! Sometimes the most fun is finding the parts! M :p

14. My Vic had a Vega wheel when I bought it in the 80's. Quite comfortable and well sized for the car. When Grant came out with their version of the banjo, I really liked it, but didn't want to spend $250+ for it. Years went by and I never could part with the cash.
    One year my wife and I attended the Good Guys event in Barrien Springs, MI. We arrived on Friday and registered, and looked at the give away prizes. They had the Grant banjo on display as one of the choices. I told Jeanette that if I was picked for a prize, I hoped the Grant certificate would still be available.
    We left the fairgrounds and headed to Holland, MI for the day to see the end of the tulip festival. We stayed overnight in Saugatuck and did some tourist things on Saturday morning. When we returned to the fairgrounds on Saturday, a friend came running over to urge us to go to the prize area as our name had been picked.
    You can guess the rest, the Grant certificate was still available and I got the banjo wheel that I had wanted for years.
    I've driven thousands of miles since and I DO like looking at that wheel.
    Thanks GOOD GUYS.

[​IMG]

15. Five bucks for a wood wheel at the Long Beach swap meet, needed a couple of hours of elbow grease to clean it up.

16. Slick Steve

Slick Steve
    from Indy

Speaking of steering wheels...I am torn which to use on my 51'. Help me out! The stock one which is in so-so shape or I have a new Red Flake wheel.

Which would you choose?

Not mine but similar:
    [​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

17. Fu-Manchu

Fu-Manchu
    from az

[​IMG]
    about 10hrs and 60 dollars.

18. mj40's

mj40's

I paid $20 for the wheel, $250 to have it cut down to 15" with a stainless ring and still need to have it wraped in leather.

Attached Files:

19. Degreaser

Degreaser

Morris Minor?

20. Muttley

Muttley

I think that one may be an Ansen.

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I can't afford to tell you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  22. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I paid $50 for this Grant Gt wheel in my 78 Ford F150. Well actually $25, my dad spotted me the other $25. It was the first thing I bought for my truck when I was like 12 years old.:)

Attached Files:

23. 61TBird

61TBird

How about $15 for this one?
    I know it's not HAMB friendly by 1 year,but it's the only cool one I have...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  24. Chad s

Chad s

I have the same wheel (merc accessory). I have around $1300 in it, including a repro center emblem. And thats with a resto of the original plastic, not a recast.

When you want the coolest wheel out there, you gotta pay to play.

25. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Is it a contest to see who spent the most?

26. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I wanted aftermarket banjo but wasn't happy with the Grants, and all the other aftermarket versions. They all look like cheesy copied crap, except for Julianos. It was stupid expensive to get it painted on top of the big money in the first place, but I hated the polished look that they came with. I went around the house and garage and started picking out stuff to sell of until I could raise the money. Then it wasn't so bad. It was worth it.

[​IMG]

27. Maria

Maria

I found mine from Daytona for 250 dollars and travelled back home with that in my suitcase.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  28. Jettback50

Jettback50

I paid $40 for this one but selling it for $20.

Attached Files:

29. BTT on a very old thread. …but a wheel you like and look at all the time is so important for a car.

I paid $50 for this one but will spend at least 400 more to have the wheel rim recast, and will have more expenses beyond this to fit and finish it. But it looks right for this car.
    [​IMG]

30. I got $20 in a piece of Brazilian rosewood, the rest of the materials I stole from work. (but you didn't hear that here) I made it especially for my truck, 18" diameter, fits an IH steering column.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014