Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much did you spend on your steering wheel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harris, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Crossed my mind just dont have one right now

2. bava17

bava17

picked up the maroon one for $5 at the last Turlock swap. the color doesn't show up very well but it's a nice, deep maroon with flake. a Superior Products "500".

the black one i bought at a swap in Sac a couple years ago for $20. it's really nice but has no brand or markings. maybe an import wheel? can anybody identify it?

thanks, steve

Attached Files:

3. skidsteer

skidsteer

Never know what you're going to find at the boneyard. This beauty was laying in the back of an old van, I paid $5 for it, and didn't even need to use a steering wheel puller!

[​IMG]

4. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

came with the car. spent a couple hours patching it up and painting it, im at work now but ill get some pics of it when i get home.nothin special, just 53 chevy 150 series wheel with candy paint on it

5. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

Here's one I found at an antique store, still trying to figure out what it's from. The key causes a shaft to move in and out disengaging it from the steering shaft. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. paid 200$ for a nice 54 dodge for the plymouth. still had to sand and paint.

7. haney

haney
    from Knoxville

just paid $50 for a fair 1952 chevy wheel with horn ring. I'm gonna give it the pc7 treatment for a few cracks and repaint it all in all I hope to have < $100 in it.

8. Heck, I bought a '58 Buick for $50, parted it out, scrapped a bare shell and got $150, and kept the wheel to use on my '50 Chevy. It's damned near perfect. So I guess I got paid to use it -

9. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Paid 400.00 for use on my 32 roadster project. 41 Lincoln Zepher.

Attached Files:

10. Muttley

Muttley

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's an old Moon wheel.

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I paid around $6000 for my wheel. It came with a '57 Ford attached to it.

12. bava17

bava17

Really Muttley? Moon? I never thought of that. Like I said, it's not marked or branded on it anythere. There is a capital K, in a circle, on the front of the hub in the center. It's a nice, heavy type wheel. I just figured it was from some old MG or something.
    Thanks,
    steve

13. FREE! '40 Ford wheel!
    At an auction about 2 yrs back. It was a small acreage with several barns full of cars, parts and what not. On the west edge of Oklahoma City. Saw this '40 Ford wheel, column and box under a tree with other junk. It had been in the weather a long, long time as the column tube had rusted through in places. The center horn button was gone but the metal ring was still in the hub. The shaft nut had rusted into an unrecognizable chunk. A friend threw it into a box of stuff he was buying and brought it home. Got tired of soaking the nut in oil for several days so I just whipped out the Dremel and chewed it off - just like the dentist! Used a puller and off it came! Got a new horn button and spring and have it in our '32 roadster. Hooked to a '41 column. Probably end up patching two cracks and repaint the thing. Ya can even see where someone in the distant past had a steering knob bolted to it!

14. Grudge

Grudge

Paid $50 for a near-mint 53 Victoria Anniversary wheel, and it even matched my rockasilly red/white color scheme!:D

15. Muttley

Muttley

I dig out an old Moon catalog later and see if I can find a good pic of the Moon wheel.

16. Take a guess !

Attached Files:

17. alteredimage

alteredimage

$5 colum and all don't know what it is possibly Buick has power steering script with a sheild emblem in the center.

18. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

I scored that exact wheel at a U pick a Part yard. It had a "Leather" Wrap on the wheel. After taking it all off and cleaning it up good it looks nice... cost me $7

It's currently doing duty on my beadroller...

19. Squablow

Squablow

I have not seen ANY new aftermarket steering wheels that I thought were attractive. Some of the aftermarket ones from the 60's are OK. There's a reason why the ones on eBay go for what they do. Usually because they're much better looking than the aftermarket ones availible.

The Aero wheel in my '60 Plymouth is going to cost about $1200 to have recast. And as much as that sucks, I'm probably going to pay it, because the square steering wheel with the clear sections is one of the coolest parts of the car.

Poke around at the junkyard or keep an eye at the swap meets and eBay. You'll find the perfect one eventually.

20. Chad s

Chad s

Probably in the same ballpark as me on my merc accessry posted above.

21. I think I gave $10 for the decent driver quality stock wheel in my '38 Fod pickup. Had a couple of small cracks that I repaired with epoxy.

22. sodas38

sodas38

Got this one on a trade it was said to be on a 32 cabriolet, trying to figure out what it is.

Attached Files:

23. Crestliner

Crestliner

Did I buy that from you? Have one just like it.

24. I have about $300 into my factory custom cab wheel on the F-100...I picked up an extra wheel/horn ring at a swap meet, then had a machine shop work it over to fit on my ididit tilt column...Now all I have to do is repair the cracks and repaint it...

Sorry, no pics...

25. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

That's a Model "T" fatman wheel, haven't seen one in a long time. I like them, they look cool,

26. Twenty bucks and more time than i want to remember repairing it, it had pieces missing. Came out nice though...

Attached Files:

27. Muttley

Muttley

The one in the 1970 Moon catalog is very close to yours but the spokes have five holes.

28. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

spent $ 550 on a decent core 1940 CHevrolet accessory wheel with the built in spinner, and belive it or not I scored! But I don't want to know what it will cost to re-bone :(

29. Harris

Harris

Well, I hate to bring this back, but figured I'd update everyone - just won a wheel off a '46 Chrysler $325 shipped!

Couldn't help myself, love this wheel - and after seeing some of your responses it made me realize that I should spend the money - glad I did, now I just have to wait for it to get here!

Here's some pics from the listing:

Attached Files:

30. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My guess is that it is an anti-theft device. It would be hard to steal a car if the wheel was disconnected from the steering shaft and you needed a key to reconnect it.

Fat man wheels have some type of device often a hinge to move the rim of the wheel up and out of the way so that a "fat man" can get in and out easier. I don't see how that can happen on this one.

[​IMG]

This is one type. A vintage tilt wheel.:D