Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much chop is too much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scrap Iron, Dec 12, 2006.

1. I am getting ready to chop my 31 coupe:eek: I have been trying to decide where I want to go with it. So I am asking the critics. maybe some pictures with your thoughts. I am not crazy about the "rat rod" style!

2. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

well there are some factors to consider, first off how tall are you? is the car going to be channeled? how low is the car going to sit? stance? proportions are the most important part of a hot rod and its very easy to get them wrong. i personally dont think that model A coupes look good chopped more than six inches.

3. I am thinking 5" chop no channel 60's style? I am going to drive the Sh!t out of the thing, so I dont want it to low. injection or tunnel ram 302 chevy backed with a 5 speed.

4. Muttley

Muttley

This had six inches taken out of the top and no channel. I'm just under six feet tall and there was lots of room in the car when I sat in it.

[​IMG]

5. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

He is damn near a midget. :D

6. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

I am putting my '31 on duece rails and plan on chopping it 6 inches. I have driven the Green Grenade and it is chopped 8 inches, but also anti-sectioned 2 inches. Which, I guess makes it the same as a 6 inch chop. Bear in mind, both of these are no channel. I have also ridden in Bass' coupe, which is 6 inch chop on duece rails, and it was quite comfortable. Really, it all depends on how tall you are. But, if you are going to channel it and chop it, just go for it. Stance is 9 tenths of the law at that point.

7. That ish is funny:D

8. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

9. 59elky

59elky

Mine is chopped 6" and channelled only 1". There is plenty of room in it for me. I am 5'-10" but as big around as I am tall.

[​IMG]

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Another consideration is how are you proportioned? I've got short legs for my height so I'm not as comfortable with any particular chop as a person with longer legs and the same height. I've wanted to chop my '32 5w 4" but anything over 3-3 1/2" and I don't have enough head room without sacrificing seat cushion thickness. I like to drive my cars so I'm not going to sacrifice only so much comfort to "get the look". Do your homework before you get out the sawsall, they are a bitch to unchop and/or unchannel;)

Frank

11. Flop

Flop

heres a six in chop with enough channel to cover the frame i still have about 4 or 5 inches above me .

Attached Files:

• 31.jpg
      31.jpg
      File size:
      49.4 KB
      Views: