Register now to get rid of these ads!

How messy is your shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ahawes, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Been out crusin' tonite and just opened the door to drive in and looked at this mess, which reminded me of this thread. I gotta do something about this. But I start cleaning and then always get sidetracked.
    [​IMG]

2. I want a clean shop, but I have more stuff than space. Plus, Im messy

3. Ratrod37,

Thanks for posting those pics! Now I have proof that my garage/shop isn't bad at all! :D

A 46 truck project, a 31 Tudor project, a big motorcycle (GoldWing Cafe), 8 bicycles, 2 SBC's, an extra banger, engine lift, work benches/tables, tool boxes, compressors.......and that's only the WHEELED stuff!

4. inkstain27

inkstain27

I have the same problem.

5. big bad john

big bad john

.....After viewing this thread...all I got to say" Some of my fellow Hambers have a major problem with hoarding"

6. Zombie Plymouth

Zombie Plymouth

mine is extremely messy, so much shit accumulated and the fact that i havent realy been in there all winter its just been gathering trash and anything thats in the way just gets thrown in there, hopefully that will change this weekend once i get off my ass and do a little spring cleaning.

7. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I keep my shop messy on purpose. If someone is lucky enough to get past the german shepard, past the security and get in, then they sure as hell wont get out without tripping and impaling themselves on something. Plus if I cant find it then nobody else can either :D

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

pigsty most of the time. About every 4-6 weeks, it gets so bad I cant stand it anymore, then theres a cleaning rampage, and the cycle starts again. One thing I do is hang my tools on a pegboard, I try to make it a habit to put them all back after every session. But theres parts, boxes and crap all over the place more often than not.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats me right there. And the older I get, the worse it gets. I've spent 15 minutes looking for my reading glasses, and they were on my head. Thats usually what triggers a clean-up, I get pissed because I cant find something.:eek::rolleyes:

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I have good days and bad days........

11. Joe King

Joe King

mines so messy I'm building another just to have a clean place to work on something

12. ...and Strange Days

13. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

There is a delicate balance of workplace and storage. I know where most everything is in an orderly fashion and can locate it, but have future project parts, existing project parts, , 2 mini bikes, 2 gokarts, grand daughters Barbie jeep, Olympic weights, Squat rack, weight bench, mig welder, sheetmetal brake, bandsaw, bench grinder, assorted typical body and mechanic's tools, compressor etc. Wife's daily driver parks over the floor lift and mine remains out. Fortunately I winter the hotrod and and few vehicles at my dad's which is next door and some stuff outside where it shouldn't be. The one thing I hate the most is having to juggle and move stuff to get ready to work. Most stuff I have on wheels and the shop is heated so I can spend a little bit of time daily to maintain. If I had more room I would have more crap.

14. KICKSY

KICKSY

15. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, I really do...
    [​IMG]

Actually my shop has stayed fairly organized lately. Its because I have a set of garages in back to actually store things like lawnmowers, bikes, and unworked on projects... It clears up a lot of space when you dont have anything but the current project and all your tools in the shop.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  16. 31ster

31ster

I typically destroy mine when working on a project then I get sick of it and clean it up every ciuple of days while telling myself I will keep it organized..... It never works

17. 73super

73super

Once I start tripping over everything I've got to stop and take a couple days to clean and organize.. then I proceed to trashing it again. When I'm in the middle of a project it just happens.. the shop gets trashed. Pretty clean right now because I had to pull the "second" project in.. so now with 2 project cars in there it's going to get ugly. This was taken right after cleaning..

58 & 55-1.jpg

100_0480.jpg

18. papajohn

papajohn

Mine has always been bad. Now its even worse as my son is turning 16 this year and spends more time out there. I guess its true what they say, "the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree" (or maybe the nut doesnt fall far from the workbench?) as he is more of a slob than me.

19. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's none of your business...it's a mess OK!

I'm adding on another section to my side garage this weekend.
    Got another car ... so it's getting messier!

Aloha T

20. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Jam-friggin'-packed... Bur I don't mind...

[​IMG]

21. realkustom51

realkustom51

I took this today.:eek:

[​IMG]

22. Actually right now it's pretty organized and clean. HRP

23. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

24. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Messy, dusty and dirty=worked in. I always wonder about those pristine checkered floor u can eat off of shops, do they do any work in there? I would think they spend more time cleaning than working for sure.... I got wife an kids, time is a precious currency.

25. a bit crowded,, but not messy.... I'm wacked when it comes to that stuff I clean up in the middle of doing a project sweep the floor before i pull the rides in... clean the chip trays on the lathe after every use ,,, lock all the tool boxes before i exit the garage.....cant help it

26. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

I make sure all of my tools are back in their highlighted areas every time I leave a job too. I definitely see the difference between doing that and not being able to find things at other peoples shops...

27. Mine is really messy. I find myself buying new tools as I can't find my old ones. Stuff is piled so high I can only see about 3 square inches of my work bench. I have to either sell or give some stuff away. I save every old part I take off with the philosophy that I may need it in the future. Hey you never know...

28. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

29. fatback homer

fatback homer

im so freakin messhy i should be on hoarders. [​IMG]

30. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Same for me...