Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How many years are you guys getting out of your battery?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I got up early yesterday morning and backed the Ranch Wagon out of the garage to clean it up, wash & wax, clean the whitewalls, vacuum and give the interior a thorough cleaning, this is stuff I have been slack about, Brenda wanted to drive her car to the Farmer's Market cruise in this evening.

To say it was hotter than a four balled tom cat would be a understatement, but I stayed at it and finished the job around 4PM and hit the shower, Brenda got home about 5 and we were read to go, she got in behind the wheel turned the key and silence, she tried several times and nothing, I open the garage door and rolled out the battery charger, I jumped it off and drove it around the block, everything is charging and I stopped in front of the shop, turn off the ignition and try to restart and it just clicked a couple of times and nothing.

When I backed the car out I must have turned the ignition key to acc and it drained the battery while I was working on the car, I jumped the car off again and drove in in the garage, we took the dust covered old beater to the cruise on.

Talking to my pal Dave at the cruise-in ( Dave helped me build the wagon) reminded me the car has been on the road for 10 years now and the battery is probably past it's prime.
    I charged the battery for a couple of hours this morning and although the car fired off the battery is still weak, probably time for a new one.

How many years are you guys getting out of a battery in you Hot Rods and Customs? HRP

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    wicarnut and dana barlow like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I always replace them at 5 years, so I won't have that problem. Dealing with a dead battery on it's terms, usually ends up costing more time/money/hassle than dealing with it ahead of time, on my schedule.

3. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I have gotten 10 years out of my Optima and it is still doing okay....This has been the longest battery life I have ever had on the same battery....Saying this it will probably go tits up tomorrow...The heat here in Vegas is worse for battery life than the cold I think....

Truck64, rod1, HOTRODPRIMER and 3 others like this.
  4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Mine normally last 5 years. The battery in my off topic vehicle is going on 8 years.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last two in daily drivers one was 8 years, one 9 years. One that doesn't get driven much lasted 4 years which was still a year longer than the warranty.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I'm with squirrel, every 5 years or so. Solves a lot of problems..............

7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Depends on if I remember to put the tender on or check to see if it’s plugged in

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Battery makers have gotten very stingy with the lead and other materials which now makes battery longevity a crapshoot. This means I tend to buy at the higher end, longer warranty offerings to avoid potential hassles from 'bad' batteries.
    I've been telling myself to have my battery(s) tested at the seller's store before the warranty lapses but it seems like so far I forget to do it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Paulz

Paulz

About a year if you buy a current Interstate. At least that's how far the last three I've owned lasted. Never again.

10. Rand Man

Rand Man

I have replaced a lot of batteries. After a about three years, it is gambling every time you turn the key.

11. topher5150

topher5150

I've had some good luck with auto zone batteries lasting forever on ot daily driver's

osage orange and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I look at it the opposite way. I buy $50 batteries, and usually get 5 years out of them, and replace them, while they're still working. I save the hundred bucks or so that you are paying for a warranty.

I did get a used truck once, that had a 12 year old battery in it. Worked great until I took it to the car wash, and got some water on the plug wires, so it didn't start right away. It wouldn't crank for more than about 15 seconds, and died. No reserve capacity left. That's the real problem with a battery that you keep longer than 5 years. Oh...the added load on the alternator isn't a good thing, either.

13. Terraizer

Terraizer

8-11 years is how long i have been getting out of batteries. Doesn't seam to matter what brand walmart, Diehards, or optima's been getting 8-11 years.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

4-5 years. I do like Jim, I buy the 2 or 3 year batteries and save that $50-75. Some last longer than the warranty, some don't.

15. .......That's something that most people tend to forget, Jim.

osage orange and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I usually get about 37 months on a battery with 36 months free replacement.
    :-(

17. Driver50x

Driver50x

It seems like in the Florida heat they are only really reliable for around 3 years.

Truck64 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. 2935ford

2935ford

Seems I never hold onto a vehicle long enough to find out! :(

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. CME1

CME1

I replace my batteries at 5 years. Doesn't matter what brand they are. I just call it a safe guard. That is what works for me!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i had a j.c. penney battery that went 7 years. of course, they weren't honoring the "forever" warranty anymore...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless your 54 is way different than my 56, a key left on acc will do nothing unless the radio is left on and that’s not much. I do have a stock clock that rewinds about every 10-15 seconds and disconnect my battery when we go on vacation for 3-4 weeks.
    Sounds like your battery was toast and you are lucky it happened at home. I’m on my 3rd battery on my 56 in 9 1/2 years and because I like it to set correctly in the stock tray I’ve gone to a NAPA which has a #27. I get right at 4 years.

HOTRODPRIMER and ekimneirbo like this.
  22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Long ago,I didn't know much about batterys,just use them tell they mest up,not thinking much about it.
    Year want by,could not race cars any more do to having too close my speed shop and take care of wife.
    A few years passed,got to go see races 1 or 2 times a years by working out things.
    When a racer buddy calls,he wanted me too design & build battery powered race car. Was in part just helping me do more then just mess with my old hot rod,as he loved helping me with Late Motel Mod racecars in the passed.
    So this battery power thing was new to me!
    So Rex comes by and drags me off too a race of them,it's mostly collage's an school's a long with just reg. engineers building an racing them. So over 3 years of racing those things!.

I did fine out=No two battery's are the same>even though they are made by same factory an same model # the same way. Yes ,they look-a-like,but no they are not!***
    Load test draw down loss is very def. from one to another.

In this racing we did for 3 years/about 4 race days of two one hour races each years.
    The rules limited each car too 62 lbs of battery that any one can by} We used { Optima Red Top/2 of}
    But after fining big to us,power out put,holding power between each. We had to get 8 batterys,test each an use only the best 4 ! Only 2 bat. for each one hour race. There were 2 one hour races each race day=takes 4 bat.,as not enought time to fully recharge between races.
    Winning is a combo of design*,with the right parts**** an good build an driving.
    We won between 6 to 7 races out of 8,each year we raced. Often by as much as 10 to 15 laps ahead of second place car. They were happy when we didn't come back for year #4. Sold the racers to the guy that was #2 the most,but didn't understand the design of racer an failed to use it right,too proud ask?Maybe !
    http://electrathonfl.homestead.com/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago my dad had a JC Penney lifetime battery in a big Olds Delta 88 with power everything. He went through several batteries from Penny's and when Penny's went out, Firestone honored the warranty and wrote lifetime on their longest warranty battery. Down the road some POS stole the battery so no more lifetime warranty. My dad was pissed.

24. The first Optima I put in my RPU lasted a little over 15 years. The second one, in the car now, is in it's 5th year. We'll see how it goes.

25. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I just yesterday changed my 7yr old battery in the 34.
    I should but never keep track of their age.
    Small battery no fancy electronics. Still cost 130 bucks.

Desoto291Hemi and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. pkhammer

pkhammer

5-7 years typical battery life has been my experience.

HOTRODPRIMER and jimmy six like this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

28. 19Fordy

19Fordy

3 with Wal Mart batteries.

Elcohaulic and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. I'm almost 52, so i guess it's been good so far! Now my car battery I'm not so sure about. Just replace it when it goes bad.

dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I've replaced two batteries this year.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.