Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How Many Willys Did They Make ?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by g-willys, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Send me an email with your email address, and I'll did my list out and sen you back the begining to end serial numbers for that year... [email protected]

2. Some in Australia after a quick google images search.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

etc...

willysguy and kadillackid like this.
  3. 933---12,819 units, 1934---13,234 units, 1935---10,644 units, 1936---72,295 units, 1937---63,466 model 37. 1938---23,999 model 38 (here's where it gets confusing, as it lists some '38 models as out in '39, along with model 48 which was also a 1939 year listing, before the model 39 (shark nose). The model 48 was identical in almost all detail to the model 38. Here are the numbers for 1939...model 38--- 2,749, model 48---5,749, model 39---15,213, 1940---32,340 model 440, 1941---30,100 model 441, 1942---11,919, model 442. All the Willys built from 1933-1936 are listed as model 77.
    The second mystery question was how many of each type (coupe, pickup, or sedan). I have found no data on the break down of each type, but after all the years of Willys involvement, and ownership...this is my best GUESS! I would say about 25-35% coupes, 10-15% pickups, and the rest were sedans. It still amazes me that so many survived, even though they were always hard to find. By contrast Chevrolet and Ford had production numbers during those years in the 5 & 6 hundred thousand range.
    g-willys

26 T Ford RPU and elgringo71 like this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-4-10_3-43-42.png

Hello,

There is one place to count as many Willys vehicles as you can and enjoy every minute of it. The So Cal version of “Willys Heaven” is located at the huge collection accumulated at the Price Transfer Automobilia in Carson, CA. It is just a block or two away from Bixby Knolls and the western end of Long Beach where the original Lion’s Dragstrip is/was located.
    upload_2021-4-10_3-44-37.png
    This collection has a red primer Willys Coupe with black wheels and the set up of a 671 supercharged SBC motor. It gave me chills to see one built similar to the one my brother and I built in 1960. At first glance, it looked exactly as we last saw our home built Willys Coupe. Although, ours was a dual grille 1940 and this one was a 41 single grille version. But even the black tow bar under the front end was exactly the same. Recollection and memories play a big part of a great time in our lives. This museum version just happen to tickle a few cells to get the memory ball rolling again.
    upload_2021-4-10_3-45-50.png
    671 SBC along the rear wall, black tow bar under the engine compartment on the floor, black rims, aluminum panel interior parts, etc.
    Versus
    upload_2021-4-10_3-47-22.png 1960 Lion's Dragstrip
    Similar build in 1959-60, red primer paint, 671 292 SBC motor, black wheels, tow bar and towing wheels/tires, etc... all part of our first hot rod/street legal drag racing coupe.
    upload_2021-4-10_3-48-58.png
    Price Transfer Automobilia Willys section

The Price Transfer Automobilia Willys section of 35 plus Willys of all years makes it one of the largest if not the largest collections. There are others being worked on in the restoration shop that also come rolling into the collection, including some very rare ones.
    upload_2021-4-10_3-52-16.png
    One of the rarest models is the 1940 Willys Woody Wagon. It is perfect in every way. It was envied by all those that were looking at the Willys row.
    upload_2021-4-10_3-53-19.png

Jnaki

I have been fortunate to be able to have access to the So Cal Museum and Automobilia displays in 2017 first edition of the Lion's Dragstrip Museum and in 2019 second edition(with my Lion's dragstrip films.) But, it is a place that everyone can enjoy all different kinds of Willys automobiles. From restorations of stock versions to the modified hot rod versions. It takes all kinds and this place has all kinds in great numbers.

The Lion’s Dragstrip Museum is located within the Price Transfer Automobila complex. It holds plenty of drag racing Willys coupes and it most famous part of the collection is the Stone, Woods, and Cook, Swindler 2 Willys Coupe.
    upload_2021-4-10_3-55-49.png
    Willys Automobiles are popular in the drag racing circles from the way back time machine. They were not as popular as the Ford coupes and sedans, but in the late 50s and 60s, their popularity gained in mass quantities. All it took were a few hot rod guys to build one and make it go fast at the drag strip.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    26 T Ford RPU and willysguy like this.
  5. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Thanks for posting Jnaki, I gotta make it out there someday.

jnaki likes this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The Lions Museum and the Price Transfer Automobilia are temporarily closed due to the pandemic. But, with the cases getting lower each month, there is possible hope for things to get back to normal in So Cal. The staff and employees are anxious to get back and open the whole complex to the general public. The time will come. With So Cal having hopes of some normalcy in September of 2021, perhaps, travel across state lines will be OK and everyone can come West to see this fabulous place.

Jnaki

Although it is possible for the So Cal cases to increase with more public contact, a public opening is still possible. Check out the Lions Dragstrip Museum web page and the Automobilia Page to see the latest information. Although it will be my 6th time since 2017, it is always fun and something new is always sitting in one of the vast number of rows and wings of the whole complex. The staff and the owners are proud of what was created and hope to open soon.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    willysguy likes this.