Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many P-15's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hkestes, May 26, 2009.

1. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Did I not post here? LOL Edith d' Plymouth, a 1947 Special Deluxe Club Coupe. I believe this was the most popular model, and therefore the least rare of a not-very-rare car.

Oh, well...it was what I could afford in 1989

Edith then.
    edith001.jpg

Last month.
    DSCF7418.JPG

Edith now.
    DSCF7825.JPG

2. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

DSCI0143 (640x480).jpg Here's mine...355 SBC, Th350, power rack & pinion steering, A/C. Yeah, I know...not exactly HAMB material, but I really don't care. I like it, and I'll never part with it as long as I'm still kicking. After I'm gone, my family can deal with it as they see fit. Aside from the modifications, it's identical to my first car. And that car was purchased new by my grandfather, and finally ended up as my first car. I knew from the start that when I found another P15, it was definitely NOT going to be powered by a flathead 6. It would have an upgraded powerplant, and a few other amenities. This old gal runs great, handles great, and is a joy to drive.

3. wkrpinnick

wkrpinnick
    from salina ks

47 project. Lincoln town car frame and runing running gear.
    Work in progress ..
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

4. Shh, don't let this thread go mainstream.... we won't have cars that stand out on the streets anymore.....

5. James Curl

James Curl

Don Coatney is a wealth of knowledge on P15s and a lot of other things mechanical plus he takes real clear pictures of everything. Just ask a question about P15/D24 cars and Don will produce a good clear picture about the subject.

6. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

There are so many posts on these cars on the HAMB these days, I forget which ones I've posted on and which ones i haven't posted on. Seems I have not yet posted on this thread until now.

Here is my 48 Business coupe. The car was a rust bucket, everything that could hold water was rusted through. The top of the frame rails had rust holes i could put my fist through them, and the only floor pans remaining was about 15" right behind where the seat would have been. The body was hacked up before it came to me.

The car is sitting on a shortened 90 Dodge Dakota frame. The Dakota cab floor and firewall was used in the car rebuild, but they were moved back on the chassis 7". This aligned the remains of the 48's firewall with the Dakota's cab firewall. The original 3.9 V6 and 5 speed from the Dakota was used, but was also moved back on the chassis 7". The body shell was cut from the rusted remains and was lowered onto the modified Dakota Chassis. The Dakota floor pan was trimmed to match the coupes body, and the whole mess was welded together. The Dakota's box floor was trimmed and installed as a trunk floor on the coupe.

When i was a kid, the old coupes like this one used to race at our local dirt track (now gone) and watching those cars go around that track inspired me to get into the old car hobby. I have built several old Mopars through the years. When the clutch went out of my parts truck that got turned into a daily driver, the thought of building a replica of one of those old dirt track coupes from my memory was hatched. The intention was to use the Dakota chassis, find an old Mopar body, install a roll cage and minimum creacher comforts to make it a driver car that looked every bit like a race car. The 48 coupe came up in that search for $200.

Along the way, the cage got axed (i bumped my head on it too many times in the build process), and it grew a little more refined then 1st planned, but here it is in all its glory. The car has been on the road for about 4 years. Its fun to drive, done a few hard laps on a dirt track, and can get rubber in 2nd gear. Gene

Attached Files: