Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you started your build in the same situation?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bill s preston esq, Aug 12, 2011.

1. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

on a "how much experience do you have doing what you're about to do" scale of 1-10, i am a solid 1.5

i farted around on my '53 chevy 210 about 20 years ago but ended up selling it and haven't done much with a car since.

just about first thing every day, i get on here and read, read, read (and then continue reading several times a day) it's fascinating to me even though it seems i don't understand about half of what's being talked about. all of this reading has really ramped up my interest in at least starting a deconstruction on my car and finding out what is going to need to be done.

i'm just curious to find out how many started their build with such a low level of experience and knowledge as i am about to do.

2. Twelvizm

Twelvizm

I've always been a hands on car guy, mostly because I'm a broke ass. But, prior to buying my '53 Buick last week, the oldest car I owned was my 1981 BMW 320i.

There's a learning curve for sure. But, to answer your question, I'm probably at a 3 on the HAMB scale.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Bill, word of advise. You will and have seen some full blown projects on here with cars torn all the way down. As a beginner don't go that route. Choose and do things one at a time. To many guys get over there head and give up.

4. I joined the Hamb in early January 2003 and decided after seeing all the nice cars going together by average guys like me with no formal training as far as metal working I decided to drag the wife's wagon out and fix it up,,

Long story short it was a learning experience and it's been a long process but with the help and guidance of a bunch of guys here and some help from friends that were also willing to guide me in the right direction the car is finally coming together.

103 patch panels has the car as solid as the day it left the factory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

check out the byline,,'54 Ranch Wagon build photos,,,you will get the idea.

Time and patience,don't be afraid to try.HRP

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

5. xlr8er

xlr8er

Here's another little bit of advice.

Do what you can and do NOT be afraid to 'sub' out what you can't do. No one can do it all perfectly!! Maybe you can paint but what about the interior? Maybe you can do an interior but what about the mechanics? Maybe you can turn a wrench but you can't manage time and money. In many cases, it's more cost effective to have someone else do what you can't (or are not interested in learning). This site has been a GREAT place to learn. I browse it every day looking at others projects and picking up what I can. I don't think you're alone at all!! Best of luck - get started!!

6. RoryShock

RoryShock
    from Western TN

Most of my life has been filled with cars that necessitated me learning automotive repair - a trait I guess I got from my dad. Luckily he was able to pass on a fair amount of information when I was a kid and he's still around to turn to for questions and bounce ideas. Handy thing since none of my friends around here are into cars.

I'm probably only a 3 on the scale - maybe higher. I have no formal training to speak of outside high school automotive and a welding class I took recently. There's a lot I don't know - I'm intuitive and understand principles, but there are plenty of things I just have never gotten to work with and terminologies I just never learned. I guess one of things I've had going for me in life is that I'm quick study when I decide I actually want to learn something. I find myself on here on and off picking up tips and learning what I can.

I suppose the trick is finding a project that is within your experience level, or maybe taking some classes to learn what you can before getting too far into something. It certainly couldn't hurt if you have a friend or two that know what they're doing.

7. rschilp

rschilp

All of us started a project at some point with little to no experience, we may have been lucky and had a mentor, but we all started at some point.

Start slow, take it one small project at a time and build your skills as your confidence as you make progress.

8. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

thanks for the replies. i am really looking forward to getting started and so are my 2 sons (13/6). they're both about a month away from their birthdays and the oldest is really hoping that the wagon is drivable when he hits 16.

we'll see.

9. RoryShock

RoryShock
    from Western TN

Well hopefully with a couple of sons to help spur you on you'll be inspired to get past that farting-around stage. Good luck with it!

10. Square One

Square One

Everyone starts out with a 0 on your scale. It takes time and patience to improve your skills and abilities. Good luck!

11. darkk

darkk

I don't know, you decide....I did this one 25 years ago...but this is what I do for a living. This is a driver, not a $100,000 show car, but it was still pretty nice. Started with a real decent stock 39 Olds coupe. No patch repair. welded 2 piece front fenders together,welded rear fenders to the body, did a front 68 nova clip on it,rebuilt a 327 (to 475hp) had to fab motor mounts and trans mount, had a TH350 rebuilt for me. Stripped it to bare metal with an air buffer/grinder with #80 grit discs and acid prepped the body, Put a late model chevy wagon rear,complete brake lines,wiring,all new glass,complete exhaust,first time try at upholstery,painted,flammed and cleared, assembled and on the road in 10 days by myself no help except the trans rebuild. And don't bust my balls about my choice of wheels either. Those were in at the time...

Attached Files:

12. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

As far as motors, trans, suspension, steering, welding, and electrical go; I enjoy and can handle most of that stuff.

As far as custom bodywork forming sheet metal, I have little experience in that. So I'd call myself around a 3.5-4; but around where I live, I do pretty well! :D I started tinkering when I was 8 in my dad's garage. Oh yeah, and I usually don't have the patience for prepping 100 percent before paint... but that's another story. :p

13. I started my first car when I was 12 back in the 50's, everyone I hung around with were building some kind of Hot Rod, we all helped each other. I had a job in a junk yard, taking them apart and cutting them up. Yes I cut up more cars that could have been Hot Rods.So that's how I started.

What I would do is get a book on your car, learn it, then you and your sons make a list of what you would like to do. Tearing into it could spell trouble, but doing little things now and getting into bigger ones, could mean going over things you all ready have done.

When you build a car or rebuild, you start at the frame, big task. you need the room, and also the tools, without the tools your in trouble right off the bat. Make out your list decide which way you would like to go. If you are not good with your hands or mechcanial, my advice, buy a car that's done and tinker with it, because you will start something that will never get done. Doing this with your sons is cool, but you don't what them to start something they can't finish.

3w

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  14. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

the key is to not give up on your project, how ever, what i have found to work for me is to have several projects in different stages at all times. if i get sick of one i go to the next. i am still wondering if i will ever finish one!

15. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. When I hit a brick wall with one project I work on another, then come back to the stumper with a clearer head. Saves my sanity, plus keeps me from having to look for thrown wrenches.:rolleyes: