Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you have done a father/son/daughter project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by No Clue..., Jan 25, 2011.

1. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

I'm still waiting for my son (age 12) to get into cars with no success; I'm not forcing him because in the end he may be hating them, ....and that would be worse...

2. CruiserUser

CruiserUser

My dad and I had a different version of a father/son project. While he worked on his OT Chevelle, I worked on my OT Trans Am; if I had any questions or needed to learn a new skill I would ask him and he would stop working on his car in order to teach me the basics of what I wanted to learn. After that I would practice and practice until I was satisfied with my work. I'd take whatever I did to him to get his opinion and advice on where I could improve.

This started when I was maybe 11 or 12 and continues to this day (I'm 20), I think it's given us a great working relationship since we still share a garage and if either one of us wants a second opinion it's as simple as hollering over to the other guy to see what he thinks. I think this way of doing it (if funds allow) actually works great since it made me think and work hard at doing everything but I always had him to go to if I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

We still go to car shows and cruise nights together and discuss cars that catch our eye whether it be something about the fabrication being top notch or how the owner could've done something differently, etc etc. Without his guidance I doubt I'd be nearly as far along in learning how to use traditional style techniques as I am today.

3. Vilage.idiot

Vilage.idiot

I am currently doing a 1959 Chevy Apache with my 17yo daughter. It is her Truck. Jessica bought the truck with her money and asked If I'd help her restore it to a daily driver with her. I am even blogging the restoration on FaceBook ( http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jessicas-59-Apache-Page/130140737020875?v=photos )for her so she has a record of the experience. I built Cars with my dad and now with my daughter. In a few years it will be my sons turn and I look foward to every min. of the time together. I do not have any projects of my own, but in time I will , but for now I am building not only a kickass truck, but an incredible bond with my daughter.

Attached Files:

4. Rudy'sRod

Rudy'sRod
    from Denver, Co

I know it's not hamb appropriate, but my senior year of high school my dad and i did our first decent sized father/son project. I picked up a '92 civic dx hatchback from an insurance company as a theft recovery. It was TRASHED. We cleaned the car up big time. I ended up pulling the stock motor, and putting in a 2006 rsx type s motor and 6 speed transmission. It got a completely fresh drive train, brakes, suspension, etc. We drag raced the car for a couple years at Bandimere here in Denver. It was a blast, and the car was very fast for what it was. 223 whp (intake, header, exhaust, and a tune, stock internals, head, etc) and it weighed LESS than 2,000 lbs. It was an absolute blast. He's also helped me swap motors in my current car, and modify it as well. Next up is my hot rod, and i can't wait to work on it with him.

5. LanceM

LanceM
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I only wish that my dad had the love of customs that I have had since I was in high school. Sad, my dad is one hell of a shade-tree machinist... If I were to want to restore a P-51 Mustang, I'm sure it would be a completely different story. Kudos to you who have dads who love wrenching & restoring old rides!

6. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Not yet with my kids but my dad.He was never into rods and customs (i'm the oddball of the family)but he has been heavily involved with my last three builds.Soon i hope to do a grandfather,father and son project as dad has a 72 gmc pickup he bought new and i would like to fix it for my son.

7. LanceM

LanceM
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

-Maybe once I pick up the Shoebox, my daughter may want to get involved. She already loves old cars and digs being in the garage when I'm wrenching on my motorcycles...

Maybe she's my legacy!

8. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

My first car was built as a father and son project with my dad he has since passed and those are my best memories with him. Now as a father myself I have started building a truck for my daughter hoping it will be a father/daughter project but it is pretty much just me working on it now but I am hoping she will help out someday.

9. jaz

jaz
    from London, UK

My little lad has a say in everything we do to the cars. He is 11 now and between the age of 5 and 7 years old he saved £1,000 ($1500?) to take a part share. He still has that money tied up in our Mercury.

When I renovated the wood bed in our 54 pick up he stood in the back holding the screwdriver while I crawled underneath to tighten the bolts - everytime he slipped of the bolt I had to get out and set him up again = thats hard work with about a hundred bolts to do - LOL

He has always loved to spray paint and is really good with a rattle can - first job we always do with a car is mask the tyres and spray the wheels - he loves it and I love him

Great thread :)

10. Diehard32

Diehard32

My son and I bought a 69 Dodge Coronet for $400.00 and worked together on it to get it running, it took all of two hours. Then went junk yardin' for real aluminum wheels which we got for $10 bucks a piece and I showed him how shiny they would become if he just applied a little elbow grease. He couldn't believe it and got so excited and spent a week polishing them and started saving his money to buy new tires. Nothing like a smile on your son's face. He ended up driving it all through high school and college before selling it. Memories.....

11. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Started a 32 Ford 5W with my Father, Larry in the 1980's. Unfortunately, he passed away (cancer) in 1992. The project stalled and life went on. Married my beautiful bride in 1994 and got a awesome father in law to boot. He helped me with keeping all the finished cars I had inherited going and cleaned. In 2006 he began asking about finishing the 5W. I told him I was ready.
    Fall 2006...
    [​IMG]

Father In Law (4MY2Dads) Mike during mock up...
    [​IMG]

Finished appropriately enough, on fathers day weekend of 2007. Car plate reads 4MY2DADS...
    [​IMG]

I am sure Dad is looking down with pride and Mike is like a teenager all over again. Another memory made....

[​IMG]

12. Danog

Danog

My Dad and I build a few cars together. They are the most fun times ever had with Him. Maybe I can talk him in to helping me and my Girls on my Car.

13. oldman2

oldman2

I will try to make this long story short. My son and I redid an OT 84 S-10 pickup, teaching him how to weld in patch panels, etc. He drove the pickup for several years. During this time I was also redoing my 32 Chevy Sedan, he helped with various things, and he and I enjoyed going to shows together. We where at Louisville in 92 for the flood, in my 32 Chevy, plenty of pics and video of that. I retired in 96 and moved to Missouri, he moved to Las Vegas. He moved here to Missouri about 6 years ago, he and I have worked together on a 67 pickup, 47 Ford coupe, 68 Camaro, 41 Ford coupe and a 72 pickup, during the last 6 years. I'm 65 and he is 39, we have had lots of good times together, his son is 16, but hasn't shown much interest yet, time will tell. I wish all Fathers could experience this. We are currently in the talking stage of his 52 AD pickup build, have the pickup, newer engine & trans, etc. He is also a HAMBer and will post when we start his project.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Started a '51 Chevy 4-door with my son when he was 13. He's now 17 and we'll be lucky to get her done in 2 more years. But it has been a fun ride!

15. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

My dad always welcomed me at the Body Shop and now welcomes my kids -- I'm building a 53 Chevy with my kids ...and my dad now

So far it's a "hot mess" but it'll come together one day......
    Body off frame and engine torn apart -- Big plans on a beer budget so it's gonna be awhile

16. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Do it !! Just make the time...It will be extreemly rewarding for both of you....now and in the future when the are grown up!!
    One project I did for my son when he was 15 was to build an old Scout 4x4 (1960 I think) by painting it, changing to nice bucket seats, and putting in a Chevy 327 (300hp) with a four speed.
    Now at almost 67 years old, I help him on his '67 Camaro convertable !!
    (I think he is just humoring me though).....:rolleyes:
    Can't go wrong with this bonding. It lasts a lifetime!!!

17. My son is 24 and recently married, we have been thrashing on everything from a `64 Willys Jeep to my recent `64 Riviera since he was about 12. One of the finest things that was ever said to me was by our Barber. Seems my son had just been in for a trim and they got to yaking about the old Jeep we built. My son had said that even when he beat the crap out of the Jeep (often) I would never get mad, just say "well, we better get that fixed" My son was I guess impressed with the old man. And so was our Barber. I took him to alot of shows , swapmeets , and we would make the yearly pilgrimage to the drags. Time well spent !:D

18. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

Sure am glad I started this thread...:)

I spent all the time I could in the shop with my dad, and going to every swap meet all summer long. Worked on his model t's, and then on my 53 GMC that was my first car. He died of altzheimer when I was 23, and all his stuff had to go for Dr. bills. I am very fortunate that my father-in-law is a gear head as well and has spent a lot of time in helping me with my projects and visa-versa. I'm pretty sure he will help with the boys cars when he comes and visits. :cool:

19. all 3 of my kids (1 boy and 2 girls) had to help rebuild their first cars (all total losses). they all went in the shop and got their hands dirty. My girls won't do that anymore, but my son turned out to be one heck of a journey level bodyman. He and I built my 49 Plymouth together and he helps me when I ask on my 53 Dodge truck that I am doing now.

20. gtkane

gtkane

My daughter has always enjoyed playing with cars in the yard.
    When she was 15, she told me that she wanted us to build something together, but the only thing I had kicking around was a scrap Astro van.(sorry, O.T.)
    Six months later, we drove out in the coolest truck conversion ever(in our opinion, anyway). I still drive it and enter shows in the summer.
    Now, several years later, she is a liscenced automotive painter and will be laying down color on my '25!

21. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Me and my dad have built a few cars in our day. The fun now is me my dad and my son working on cars. Now thats fun my father-n-law has just got into cars so I guess we will build one as well. I realy have fun in the shop with my family. I'm lucky I guess........

22. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

Whats real fun right now is making sure the boys are current with all their school work and keep up on their chores. An added incentive for me helping out with the funds. :D

I also find a picture on the web of the car in perfect condition and stick that in the folder of pics of their car. It really adds to the incentive. :cool:

23. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

I have three boys as well....all had built projects together

1950 F1 Pickup
    1955 Ford Pickup
    1940 Ford Pickup

Did I say pickups?
    LOL:D

24. I've done some mother/son projects . Mom was an airplane mechanic in the late 40's early 50's and we did some engine swaps. Even with a cane in one hand and an inhaler in the other she STILL managed to be more help than some of my buddy's. Boy if I could still do it..... R.I.P. Mom

25. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

Yea, I'm a pickup man from day one. :D So far the 8 year old is the only one who might want a pu..and he is starting to dig the 62 Ranchero. I'm in pickup heaven here in Wyoming. Lots of cattle ranches and lots of old pickups laying all over. :cool:

26. We had one, but my Dad went crazy and built a trailer queen. My brother and I weren't allowed to touch it. At least I'll inherit it.

27. someday?

Attached Files:

28. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

ultimately you will cherish every second spent with your kids. and be haunted by those you didn't! it will be an experience that can never be repeated or replicated. time is among the few things that man hasn't been able to reproduce (even the chinese) spend it wisely. i have an old thread on this subject. larry

29. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

In the late 80's my son, chop50chev, and I completely rebuilt his 67 Barracuda which he still has today. He and his oldest son Ben, who is 5, have a different but related project - a Ford 8N tractor. Ben loves tractors! I am now working on a project with my two oldest grandsons. It is a 52 Dodge Pilothouse and if the weather cooperates we will get the cab back on the chassis on Saturday. And my son and I have our next project lined up - a 15 Dodge touring (front half) that will be built as a vintage track roadster clone with a MoPar flathead six. We always help each other out on current projects. As an afterthought, my Dad worked with me on my first projects back in the 60's including a 56 Chevy and a 34 Plymouth coupe with a 348 Chevy.

30. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

My ol man used to work on stuff all the time and I would watch at best. I was never really allowed to participate. Fast forward 25 years and I'm older now and my son has free reign of the garage. He is 12 now and although I haven't convinced his mother he can weld yet, he is competent in many other areas. I hope he can look back on his youth without wishing he could have been allowed to do more.