Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you are "That Guy"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bilt, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Bilt

Bilt

I was reading a thread about "that guy" that has all the parts you need rotting away in the barn and will not get rid of them because "one of these days I'm going to do something with it." I hate that guy then it hit me like a ton of crap.....I'm turning into "that guy". I've hoarded more parts for stuff I'm going to build and still it sits in moth balls. Thank you H.A.M.B (and Dr. Phil) for making me realize I'm turning into "that guy". Time for me to throw away the moth balls and grow a set of balls and build a cool rod with the stuff I've hoarded.

I'm not the only one out there so show us your "Moth Ball" projects!!!!

Holy Crap I just turned the forum into a bad episode of Oprah!! lol

2. chevyburb

chevyburb

I've been thinking the same thing!!! As my 75 year old friend told me "we don't have many summers left"! Shit! I looked in my back yard @ my shop & there lined up are: '50 Ford 2dr, rust free; '53 Chevy 5 window sitting on a boxed chassis with NASCAR trailing arm suspension & AMC Pacer front clip, bagged; '31 Chevy Coupe, basket case; '31 Ford closed cab pickup (supposedly my next project); '40 Ford 2dr sedan, rust free other than the floor; '57 GMC Carryall NAPCO 4x4, Pontiac motor, Hydramatic, PS, PB, all the original seats. This doesn't count the '59 white over pink coupe de ville, '55 Chevy Suburban, or, last but not lease, FAYE.
    Shit, when you see it in print, it looks crazy. I need to live to 117 (now 67) or sell some shit. Any takers???

3. boutlaw

boutlaw

DAMN Burb, you better be getting after it, or you will need to be 117, at least. I'm 63 and have been selling off, devoting all my time to the 31 coupe build, and its taking about 10 times as long as I thought it would, and I'm fricking retired. You got some great stuff, but you probably won't have time to do it all, YOU are definitely THAT GUY! Sell some stuff and take a deluxe trip to Bonneville, Hot Rod tour, second honeymoon, whatever....enjoy the proceeds from your collection..............

4. was there ever a good episode???:rolleyes:

and burb i would love to take that '50 ford off your hands, unfortunately i'm flat broke:(. oh well

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Holy Crap I just turned the forum into a bad episode of Oprah!! lol[/QUOTE]

You're giving yourself too much credit

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. So I am 66 and I have one project that is going on 24 years now. I really hope to finish that one. But i have started to give some stuff away that I realize I will never use. Then I catch myself collecting more junk.

7. My old boss showed me this one. Take a tape measure, extend it to say 80" representing years lived, subtract your age. The, subtract 2-5 years on average for each car you have set aside to build "someday".....................not a lot of inches left are there?

8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That's not such a bad thing.. At least you're realizing it. First step is admitting the problem. :D Whether you decide to do something about it or not is up to you. I wouldn't judge you either because.. Honestly, if you had warehouses full of cars you worked hard to attain, or even a little dinky shed out back full of parts, then I can imagine that it would be hard to find the desire to sell them off. You could become "hip" with the youngsters who are into the kind of cars you like and really help them out in the process all the while keeping this hobby going strong. So it has it's possible benefits.

I must admit I do have concerns about becoming "that guy" although I shouldn't because I'm still young compared to this crowd. I've already thought out several ideas on how to prevent myself from achieving that status. Whether they work or not can only be told in time. One goal I have right now is I have some SBCs, SBC stuff, and other little street rodder stuff that I would like to exchange for more traditional stuff. That's not a big deal compared to hoarding but it is a minor step in the process.

The way I see it, it's a progressive "disease" we'll call it. Kind of like putting a frog in a pot of water and slowly turning the heat up. The frog doesn't realize it but he eventually becomes dead.

Heck, I'm young. I'm rambling. I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm just going to sit back and listen to you veterans talk and hopefully I'll learn something out of this.

iPhone - TJJ App

9. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I believe I was becoming "that guy" some years ago. So, I started selling stuff that I thought I would never get around to building. I still have OT cars I should sell but it'll happen in time. The point is, just like TexasSpeed pointed out, I recognized I had a problem and am trying to do something about it.

Chevyburb, I am surprised you have not run afoul of the PC police with all that cool stash in the bay area.

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

There was a guy in the local Buick Club exactly like that. When I got the INVICTA back in 2000 I wanted to use a pair of Nailhead Gran Sport valve covers on it. (They're Factory Issue diecast aluminum and are embossed with "BUICK" on the bodies.)

I knew he had TWO (2) Pairs of these stashed away, along with tons of other Buick parts, so I asked him if he'd sell me a pair and told him I'd pay whatever he felt was a fair price. That's when he told me: "No, I may be using them someday...so I'll just hold onto 'em." BTW: He didn't own a Nailhead that he would be able to use them on.

So, I called Moon and picked up a beautiful pair of their "no name" diecast units, and had them on the car within a week. They look fantastic, but would have liked the Gran Sport units.

Oh, and it's ELEVEN years later, and the guy still has those units stored in his garage. But, hey, maybe someday...

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

11. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I'm never going to be "that guy."

12. 61TBird

61TBird

Since I live close to you(and I went to Campbell High until it closed...), I can bring over the "adoption" papers and you can leave them to me...:D

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Did somebody call me?

14. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

Not so much parts, but I've had a project car sitting in storage for a few years now. I have to either get off the pot and get the car finished or
    sell it off. I'm getting old enough now and seen enough family, friends and
    neighbors dying off that I don't want to put my wife in the position of having to get rid of the mess if I checked out.

The cars 1,000 miles away where we used to live and would take a major move now that its apart in 2 different places. The body shop where the
    body, fenders and hood are stored is always getting requests if its for sale so I am getting to feel like I'm becoming "that guy" who owns the 57 and "no its not for sale." Problem is I need to sell one of my cars before I have both the room and money to bring it out here and finish it.

15. Get off my lawn.......:mad:

16. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I was becoming that guy ... :D some years ago.

Then on the advice of a older, wiser man ... I sold off most everything but the DEUCE ROADSTER and 32 Ford parts. Then for once I had a pocketful of CA$H ... and started making real progress on the roadster.

I do not regret selling any of that stuff ... because I got the 32 roadster on the highway the way I wanted it to be. NO saving up, no cutting a corner ... no excuses :) :)

IMHO ... a working man does not need or can do justice to over one project at a time.

:eek: :eek:

17. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

That would be me, I am so bad that if I need a part I have I still go out and buy it, because I might need it some day, and don't want to use the one I have. i have 21 projects, if I finished 1 a year I don't if I would make it, yet every time I say I am going to thin out I make a list of what I am keeping and what I will sell, 3 hrs later I am readjusting what stays, so I still have them, this has been going on for 20 some odd yrs. I got down to seven a few years ago, and next week I am going to look at three more, I have seven at my house, the rest are scattered all over some as far as
    240 miles away it is a disease for which there is no cure. anybody that talks to me for more than a week gets to store one lol

18. i have always been "that guy"
    who has stuff
    who was going to do something with stuff
    who knows stuff
    who knows someone else who has stuff
    and lately has forgotten what stuff i have and who else has stuff

what were we talkin about ? who me..?

'

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  19. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

yeah ive become that guy but i want to sell stuff now

20. Muttley

Muttley

If I had the money to buy a bunch of cool stuff I'd definitely have no problem being that guy.

21. Dyce

Dyce

Yea but I really am going to build 3 or 4 rods and I need spare parts for each one right:D... I really started getting rid of stuff I never plan on using when I had to move. What a pain in the ass hauling all of the stuff you know is worth $$$ but don't plan on using. I sold most of that off now and reinvested the money in tools.... Selling is easyer if you reinvest the money into parts of tools you need....

22. Never2low

Never2low

You're a museum curator not a hoarder.:eek::rolleyes::D
    Just let me know when a janitorial position opens at your house.:D

Jeez, way. Your left overs look better than my main, and only, project!
    I wish I had the money to be a hoarder.:(

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm trying to move stuff along. Did good with parts. But I want to sell my 63 Hawk. I'm down to $1500 now for a good running project car. Regestered and driveable. Where do I go from here. May as well give it away. My Lark is done end to end with all new parts (383, 4 speed, 9 inch, ect) $7,500 to much. Where do you start with a Packard powered Vega, Bonneville Altered coup? If I sold this stuff I'd have room for my 52 Stude 1/2 ton.

24. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

I try to avoid to be That Guy. I'm just 46 so I may have too much time to hoard if I don't keep eye on myself. I could easily make a list of cars to get/build for the rest of my life but I know I should avoid to do that in real.

I've already had four Model A's, commuter, truck and Harley at the same time couple of years ago. Plus parts to build more.
    I didn't like some of the cars buried in the snow because I didn't have room and I was worry about possible theft because I didn't have those at home.

Now I'm with two A's less I still plan to sell the bike which I don't ride much and possibly this avatar car which I don't drive much either and....most likely end up with buy another one or two.

I'm always excited when I have a new project and head full of plans.
    I have to be careful to really build and get things done not just hoard.

Just an idea popped to my mind to try to sell the Roadster here first. See the for sale section soon.

25. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

26. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am that guy but I am working on it.

27. I am that guy and happy to wallow in it. I'll have to live to 527 though but being I'm going to live forever - so far so good. I look at it this way, I'm preserving history for the next generation to enjoy. I'm saving things from becoming the next Prius.

28. orange52

orange52

They can have it when I'm dead, I'm sure my wife will give someone a hell of a good deal! :)
    It seems every time I sell something, within 6 months I find I a use for it. Then I kick myself for getting rid of it, therefore I just put it on a shelf for later.

29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

In this economy, I feel my back burner project cars and parts are my "401k". Once I retire, I can sell them off, get them to roller status then sell/trade them or build one or two to drive.

30. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm that guy. THe guy that bugs me is the young guy with the warped sense of entitlement who thinks iShould part with any of my collected stuff just cause he'd like it for a project