Register now to get rid of these ads!

" How Many Milk Crate Seat Storys Are Out There.."

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Jan 10, 2010.

1. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I think our wrench on a wire was a better engineered solution. (Have to go back to page 3.)

2. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

In Jr. High my dad got me '54 Ford F-100 and said "get to work now and you'll have a driver when you turn 16". We rebuilt the 390 that was in it, I lowered the front a little, stripped the interior, then dad came home w/a carb kit and we rebuilt the carb and that thing fired up. Next day I HAD to drive it. No seats, no door latches, no throttle pedal. So, I got a tall wooden swivel chair from the kitchen, straightened a hangar and ran it from the throttle arm through a hole in the dash, and I ran a bungee cord from door to door. It wasn't the best, but I went around the block a few times. Doors would swing half open around turns, the chair would swivel around, but holy cow I would pull on the hangar and that sucker would let it rip. Good times!

3. khead47

khead47

4. Years ago I saw a great video showing guys in a junkyard racing around in what was left of front wheel drive cars that had had their rear ends cut off. Floorboard was cut just behind the front seat and they were topless. Goin' like hell on two wheels. If anybody knows the source of the video, please post it.
    Thanks.

5. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

We were taking my P15 to my Brother-in-Law's garage for bodywork and paint prep. Unloaded it off the trailer, and pushed it down his sloped driveway towards the garage. I was sitting on a wooden 12 x 12 at the time, since the entire interior had been gutted. The car started gaining a little speed, and stepping on the brake didn't help much. I started pumping the brake pedal feverishly while firmly gripping the steering wheel. I forgot that I had failed to install the nut on the steering wheel shaft. Yep, you guessed it...the steering wheel came right off in my hands. So now I couldn't steer the car or bring it to a stop and was heading right for his Kubota tractor. I jammed the steering wheel back on the shaft, and was ready to steer out into his yard, but by that time the car had rolled to a stop. Funny story now, but at the time it was a scary situation and very embarassing to boot. My Brother-in-Law was practically rolling on the ground laughing. I only wish someone had been videotaping that whole episode. Just one of life's embarrassing moments I guess (one of too many that I can recall):eek:

6. melsfine39

melsfine39

Milk Crates?? How Crude!! Check out these DELUXE Bench seats I Made!!
    :DMel

Attached Files:

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Love the storys,always fun reading them,thanks!

8. You went and got all fancy on us.. Haha

9. Let's start this one back up again!

10. Had a buddie with a 50 chevy n took the seats out n threw em away! Replaced em with bean bag chairs! Lots of drugs in the 70s n cornerin was a bitch!

11. Not a seat story, but I learned after stepping through a milk crate with both feet at the same time one night while laying flames on the hood of a car that you should cut out a small piece of plywood to put on the top when using as a stepping stool,ha,ha.. Luckily I have good balance and never drove my spraygun in to the hood either....

12. no milk crate but i once drove on O/T charger down to the gas station sitting on the transmission tunnel it had NO interroir except for the dash init the station was less then a 1/2 mile away though

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

In 1968 I bought a '40 Chevy coupe from a guy I worked with. Nice straight car, original engine, but no interior. Drove it home with a milk crate under my ass. Never did that again! It's nearly impossible to use the clutch and brake, plus shift and steer and not get pushed off the crate.

14. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

The milk crate was to tall for my old sedan. I used a wide finned buick brake drum!

15. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Not a milk crate..
    A pallet though... Crappy pic

Attached Files:

16. Zandoz

Zandoz

Not a milk crate, but a wooden Coke case. I remember riding the crate doing white knuckle laps around my grand parent's barn in the frame of a car my uncle was building. Below is a pic of my uncle and the finished car.

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      91.6 KB
      Views:
  17. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

18. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

The jalopy...

Attached Files:

19. I have too much dignity for that. I used a spare tire and a slab of marble.

20. j-stovebolt

j-stovebolt
    from Minnesota

Milk crate model a, been around the block twice. Gets lots of looks from the neighbors.

Attached Files:

21. kwolf

kwolf

I drove a VW chassis, a few miles, with nothing above the pan EXCEPT the seats- outboard tank, hold the steering wheel to the knees for any kind of stability... No lights, plates, anything...

I had explained to the CA DMV what I wanted to do, they said, "Oh, you want a no-fee moving permit"... > Had it in my pocket so I could get a laugh from the Highway Patrol... I WANTED to get pulled over, for comedy factor, but could not find a cop on they way...
    Karl

22. That's usually how it happens! Hahaha

23. charlieb66

charlieb66

Back in the early 60's I was working at a real service station, you may remember check oil, wash windshield. Well a friend had purchased a '34 Chevrolet 2d Coach
    and he and another friend had been working to get it going. Seems they had removed the seats. The pair arrived at the station with the driver sitting on a wooden box and the passenger siting on the 6v battery which was on the floor board on the passenger side. As we eagrely went over the finer points of the car for some time when the passenger made the comment "damm my tail is itching" as he reached back to scratch, he discovered the the battery acid was disengrating the tail out of his pants.
    Took him years to live down the nickname "acid pants".

24. Real acid washed jeans.. Hahaha! That's funny

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Drove the Peter Beater 3 months everyday to Dan Webb's shop with no seat at all. Wooden floor. $2,000 car. Go to work. Work on half-million $$ cars.

26. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Guy I worked with's foot went through a plastic crate grabbed him like a beartrap.I was laughing so hard I could barely cut him out.

27. MISCONSTUDE

MISCONSTUDE

In Monterrey, Mex. About 18 yrs. ago and saw three of what looked about like a chassis for a UPS size truck complete w/milk crate seat, drivers wearing goggles, running down the freeway 70 mph. Best of all, at least they thought of safety, each had a rope seat belt. One of the most hilarious things I have ever witnessed. I guess the chassis were built at one plant, and the bodies were put on somewhere else.

28. about 1991 or so i was able to trade for a 55 chevy 150 2door sedan. took me about a month to put the deal together. i drove it about 15 miles home through 2 towns sitting on a concrete block. thats not easy to do with a 4 speed. my wife was sitting on the floor on the passengers side scared to death. i was nervous, scared, and ecstatic all at the same time. we were in our early 20's at the time. we were young, broke, and happy as hell.