Register now to get rid of these ads!

how many live in areas where you dont lock your car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicdreamer, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Where I live now the house has been in the family a long time. My grandparents put in a state-of-the-art 1960s alarm after a break-in where they stole among other things a three-leg Buffalo nickel she had. Alarm is great, has a rotating beacon on the garage, makes a loud noise, and that's it. Nowadays it's harder to do that kind of grab, the back yard is all overgrown over the bank they used to walk up to break in. But every few years people find someone's gone through every car in the neighborhood that was open and taken change and stuff. So I lock my stuff.

Now I have a buddy who lives way out in the boonies and he usually leaves keys somewhere in the car, and the key to one of the buildings is hidden in a fairly obvious spot. So far it's been good enough -

2. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

see below

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  3. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

lol.... i live out in the country and i don't even lock my home doors. i do however have a double gate decorated with lots of bones and plenty of "keep the fuck out" signs. when i went into town, i never used to lock my car even with the windows down and a gun and other valuables within easy reach because i had my Shimi, pitbul watch dog who would not let ANYONE into that car. i miss that dog soooo much. the firemen in the road with boots full of money gave my car a wide birth when shimi showed her teeth. LOL... here she is:

Attached Files:

4. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

I flew over to Sacramento to buy/pickup my coupe, hired a Penske lockable 16ft moving truck to transport it to the shipper in LA. It was all loaded in and padlocked at the sellers quiet suburban street on Saturday night, Sunday morning the padlock was cut and laying on the road, fortunately they didn't want anything off a '31 Ford. My lucky day I guess.

5. 8flat

8flat

Someone said booby trap....

Back in the '70s my uncle lived in Chicago and got tired of his CB radio getting stolen (several times). They simply grabbed the CB and jerked it out of the mounting bracket. So he installed another new one, but soldered fish hooks to the back side of it!!

It worked. The next thief got hooked up so bad it looked like someone gutted a trout in the parking lot....hahahahaha

6. shootingmonkey

shootingmonkey

Thats nice. I'll have to remember that, mine has been ripped out before.

7. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Lock the doors at work because I don't trust most of them as far as I could throw them. Lock 'em at the house and as of recently, started locking all the windows on the first floor of the house. Someone apparently was looking for their Easter basket last Easter Sunday at my house when the fiancee was home alone. She heard the shade blowing in the window when it occured to her she closed that window before taking a nap that afternoon. When she walked back into the living room an arm was poking out from behind the shade and she said, WTF. Arm quickly exited after that. Naturally I was stuck workin that Sunday. Took a late lunch and rushed home.

Checked the garage, which was also unlocked to see if anyone was hiding. Grabbed the 2 1/2 pry bar and walked around the house to see if anyone was in the bushes.

When we filed the police report (just to get it on record) they said it may of just been some homeless person looking for booze. Didn't think much of it until the neighbor noticed someone took a shit by the side of their house that same night, crumpled up shit covered paper towel near by. All this and I haven't even lived there a year yet.

Beleive it or not, also a good part of town. Although there is a fairly busy street/state highway a block away, so the homeless wanderer theory is not completely unlikely.

8. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

I moved here from Lawton, OK. When I retired I checked the prospective towns againest Lawton through a program I found on the I-net. This town has one fourth the crime (in any catagory) then Lawton. Still have to lock the cars because there are some people how steal no matter where you are. I can say I'd recommend this place as a great place to live on any scale of measurement. But it's not Utopia.

9. fanspete

fanspete

Uhh, said little kid's parents should have taught him/her to leave other people's stuff the Hell alone.

10. oldskool30

oldskool30

Thats so funny! I had a soft top CJ long time ago and had the radio stolen out of it while at work. The cop who came first said "the bumpers look a little high then proceded to tell me that if the doors were on it they wouldn't have broken in" I about lost it on him..like soft doors with a plastic handle would stop a thief.. After that I built a roll cage and Fabbed a radio mount with security . Basically I welded it in.. never lost the radio again..

11. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

I have an alarm and lock most everything, These two offer a little more protection.
    The little guy has to wake the big one up. :D And he don't like being "woke up" :eek::mad::(

Attached Files:

12. blt2go

blt2go

never lock them, don't even take the keys from ignition. i park well within my double tap range. as my sig says i'm a discount dealer for lead pills, and i've got more than i need.

13. Maco-B

Maco-B

No Sir we don't lock them doors, did you want my address on this here interlink? It's 357 YOUR F*CKED!!

14. wizzard23

wizzard23

My 'glass 23 track T (HAMB friendly?) has "keyless entry".

15. daddylama

daddylama

lost the door key for my daily car a couple years ago... haven't locked it since.

alternative transportation is a motorcycle... no doors, mag/kick-only with no key. good insurance, good lock, good glock.

a wise man said locks are good, but it's better to have a reputation for being quick with the .38 you're known to carry.

that being said, i find it's best to drive a POS that nobody cares about :)

16. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Don't really have to lock up around here, from time to time there's some problems but not often, I just do it out of habit so I don't forget someday when I'm someplace else.

17. Baja Bandido

Baja Bandido

Heck ya. I lock my cars and my home and I live near a retirement community and the city voting one safest cities in the US and I still lock down my pad and rides. Why chance it is all I am saying.

18. Deuces

Deuces

I keep my '05 Stang locked in my garage with my alarm set and also have a black chow chow "Shelby" patroling my back yard. She also has sharp hearing and lets me know if someone comes snoopin' around. I also taught the gal how to smile and show you her pearly whites! :D:D

19. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

wow...good idea to go online, post how many cars you have and that you leave the keys in them, and where you live...that is just genius!

20. Deuces

Deuces

Mine was pretty much just a warning!

21. johnny raven

johnny raven

My car's lived in 2 capital city's of Australia. It's with me all day on site, unless i go into a supermarket, or into the city!! Out of view for hours, lock's don't work, in summer window's down!! what can they steal?? and how far will they get until it's found!! Or maybe they fear a tough-nut drives it ( i'm not)!:cool:
    [​IMG]

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never locked a door in 14 years of parking on Army bases. That includes all my hot rods, street machines and normal cars(For want ofa better name?) But Now? Yes, no matter what. I found someone in my car going through my stuff the first week I was here, now I have a dent in my door. In think he had a sore head.

Doc.

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I hope the dent will buff out..
    bet he thinks twice about pulling that stunt;)

24. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Never lock my daily beater, nothing to steal, and don't want to replace any broken glass. Dumb-ass theives are everywhere. a few years ago some idiot broke into my friend's family ranch house. Took the old tv, and some other not so important stuff like toothpaste. The worst was my buddies grandfathers Stetson hat. The law found the moron crackhead who did it. Seems he had be busy in the area. Found a gas can with my friend's name on it on the front porch.

25. 60 Belair

60 Belair

quit lockin the dailey after after the assholes jimmyed the door under the handle did more body damage than the pos radio and 18 pack of toilet paper was worth . but my Beastie boys cd was in that dam cd player and that pisses me off
    I hate theives

26. Last time I locked a door on a car the window was busted and the radio was stolen anyway,,,the glass coat more than the radio to replace.HRP

27. joeb1934

joeb1934

who needs locks when you have these guys. great intimidation factor. newcomers see them, and tend to not hang around uninvited.

Attached Files:

28. 10bucks

10bucks

Out here you leave the keys in it cuz one of the neighbors might need it ...Bad.

29. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

I don't even have keys for my car. I don't use the door locks and the ignition is a couple of switches and a push button.