Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many HAMBers live down a dirt road?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt49, Jun 17, 2010.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I don't but I have a friend that has a gravel driveway. It is quarried river rock, crushed to a uniform size and very nice. One or two of these stones always seems to stick in the treads when I leave his place. In my 37, it pissed me off to no end. No matter how slow I went after getting back on the pavement (trying to clear the stones out), one or two of them would always stick tightly. Eventually, these stubborn stones would fly out at speed and zap the fenders from the inside. I never got an "outie" or stars / cracked paint from those hits, but it sounded bad and was a worry. I can only imagine how much fun it will be in my truck until I can get some fenders added. Gary

2. Took me 5 or so years to find the right house with 5 acres on a paved road that I could afford...gravel driveway is enough for me. I like living out in the country, but didn't want to deal with the dirt or gravel roads.

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Trailer your car to the pavement?
    Ain't this the HAMB?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  4. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm the same way except I do not have a wife...( not complaining)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  5. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I lived on a limerock road until the recent paving. Everything had a white film on it from the fine dust. There seemed to be a sport that the UPS and Fedex guys played to see who could kick up the most dust. Every time I cleaned my car it seemed like a waste of time. The tires were always white and I didn't have whitewalls then. :) Oh yeah, always had little rocks in the tire treads. Finally got it paved a month ago. It's like a new place. :D

6. This is the house I grew up in and it is now mine after the death of my parents. It has a 1/2 mile dirt/gravel road for a driveway and I plan to live there one day as it has plenty of land for a big shop and an airstrip. My cousin lives on the next plot over and needs to wash his cars every day if he wants them clean. I geuss if you want land in the country you've got to pay.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

7. Oldb

Oldb

I spent most of my life 1/4 to 1/3 mile off the road. Used river rock and later crushed rock, I bladed it with a bulldozer. I had one black car, no matter how slow I drove it would be very dusty by the time I hit the pavement. I went to white and other light colors after that. Very good advice posted above about the tires that won't pick the rocks.
    All in all having lived with neighbors now for six years I would go back to that gravel drive in a minute given the chance.

B

8. Larry T

Larry T

If you live on a dirt road there are times when you REALLY need an old beater truck.
    Life ain't easy without fenders sometimes. Pavement is out by the trees here and the mud is about 6" deep until you get there.
    Larry T

Attached Files:

9. rixrex

rixrex

<P>down a dead-end dirt road with a low-water crossing is the only way to be..I do want to throw a drive in party but will have to improve that pot-holed road before any ground huggin tail-draggers can make it in..I drive my cars in there all the time, but they're tough...</P>

10. A nice gravel road with lots of white dust for a half mile.

[​IMG]

11. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

I live a mile from pavement and like it just fine. I just drive slow and play some old county!

12. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I grew up on one, my parents still live there. You couldn't pay me to live on a dirt road. Take your pick dust or mud. Lets not forget the brine they put on there for dust control.

My old man washes his camaro every single time he drives it. They're only a 1/4 mile down.

13. Offy

Offy

A half mile of dirt, grass, rocks, and abundant other deleterous materials that neighbors and myself have put towards enhanching it. The truck, Harley and hot rod are all black so it is a lot of extra cleaning time but it's well worth the insullation it provides from the world.

14. Most people have a dream of having a big house on a big lot... I'd rather have a small house with enough land to land an airplane on it and your place is my "Dream Property" except I'd like to be a bit closer to pavement!

15. Well the wife bought me a garage for our anniversary this year and because I love here so much I gave here the 100 year old house that was on the property.

It'll be awhile before we move up there but it is two blocks up a dirt street. Not likely that the street will ever be paved.

Never the less I have lived down some dirt roads in my time.

They eat suspension bushings, tie rods and tires. make a mess out of your car and chip the paint.

The trick is to not get in a hurry unless you are driving an off road vehicle or a dirt tracker. Take it slow when you cruise out. Know where the nearest car wash is so you can give the old hooptie a quick rinse whne you hit the road.

One other trick especially when it gets dusty during the dry season. Keep all the drain oil you can get your hands on. Don't get caught doing it but oil the road down in front of your house eventually it will become paved-ish and will keep the dust down a little.

16. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Count me in. 1.2 miles in,1.2 miles out. Funny how that works.
    Collect chain link fence and a couple of rail road ties. Bolt em all together and make a 20' drag. Drag your road on the weekends as you go hither an yon and it'll groom the dirt and not destroy your car. Or at least not as fast.

17. chaddilac

chaddilac

No surf does... Toast's old coupe graded the road for him at his bbq a couple years ago!!:D

18. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

Thank God and the county commissioner, they paved the gravel road from the highway to the house, but still have a 700 ft. gravel driveway to the house. Dust is a big problem and mud when it rains, hell to keep it off a black car! Here's a vid of the long dusty drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Bgd_y8-2Q

19. NoSurf

NoSurf

HAHA!!! Yeah- that was bad timing- the township guys put fresh crushed stone on my road THAT morning! I couldn't believe the bad luck.

I like living on the gravel road. Sure it's dusty sometimes but the privacy is totally worth it!

[​IMG]

Most gravel roads in KS are better than the paved ones in New England. Plus the speed limit is 55 mph!

20. chopt49

chopt49

great stuff guys, thanks for sharing.

21. wvenfield

wvenfield

The dirt road was never traveled as much but when I was younger it was always an interesting side trip that wasn't so bad cleaning up after but now being older and the wife complaining about taking that route, I stick mostly to the conventional route.

22. budhaboy

budhaboy

the road to my parents place, up until a few years ago, was "dirt" - actually it consisted of the ground up asphalt from the city streets(the size of BBs) and heavy oil - it was supposed to keep down dust, but I didnt notice the difference in dust levels.
    Now that its been paved, the road they live on is now part of one of the poker runs during East Coast Sturgis(Little Orleans, MD) so for my Pop's birthday, he gets to sit outside and watch about 3000 Harleys putt up and down the road(drives him nuts cause Ma wont let him get another bike)

23. Donnda

Donnda

I live 2 + miles up a dirt/gravel road out in the country. Well worth the drive share it with Elk, deer, antelope and a myrid of small animals. I have 20 acres that I love and nearest neighbor is 20 acres away. The only people that use the road either live out here or are visiting someone out here. We drive slow down the road and take our time no damage so far. A dirty car is the norm but they clean up in town.

24. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Don't live on a dirt road, just up shit creek...:D

25. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

It's a trade-off. I live in the city, walking distance from a fire station and a cop shop--so I hear them all hours of the day or night, whether they're gearing down or blasting the sirens.

I also hear gunshots and helicopters, lots of 'em--and I wouldn't hardly think about hanging out on the street after 10 p.m. or so. People die around here.

Right now, a dirt or gravel road with some trees or a view is starting to sound pretty good.

E Burfield, you should post some pictures of the view and make me jealous-er.

26. yeah Im about a 1/4 mile off the pavement and it gets kinda washboardy,we use the tounge off a mobilehome to drag the road when it rains (not very often)yeah the dust sucks and the F**kin kids on quads doin 50mph down the road but I still like being out town so what the hell.........oh yeah it cuts down on visitors...

27. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah... Its great.

Since we moved we've had no more grafitti, car chases with gunfire through our street, vandalised maiboxes and cars.

I'm pretty happy with the Dirt Road...

28. chopt49

chopt49

Damn the LBC sounds crazy... get out before it kills you!

my new view:

Attached Files:

29. I moved from Kali to Las Vegas to Texas, its a really cool thing to not have to duck when you hear gunshots, here its just dads out teaching the kids the right way to use them. The dirt road and grass driveway is a great trade off, even with the rod and Harleys. A little dust is good for character.

Looking down the driveway.

[​IMG]

30. dytryen

dytryen

dammit - sounds like dust times for you my friend....it's okay you will have 10+ acres to play in.

Hey, your 49 looks GOOD!!