Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many Hambers do we have in the Texas hillcountry?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by isky1843, Sep 28, 2012.

1. recondotexas

recondotexas
    from Austin, TX

2. Another cedar chopper here.

3. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

New Braunfels / Marion area here.

4. I had to look up where the boundaries of the Hill Country are. I guess I'm in.

5. Von Brandt

Von Brandt

Bulverde, here!

6. seatex

seatex

about a mile from the "Junction" at 32 and 12, just 3 scant miles from the devils backbone.:eek: A drive out to Oatmeal sounds like a reliability run, but the drive back after the "shine", sounds like an episode of "Survivor"!:rolleyes:

7. GaryB1

GaryB1

We're from Cisco, a couple hours north of the official Hill Country. Home of the rust free old car! Used to go to Canyon Lake all the time.

8. isky1843

isky1843

Ok alot of mixed interest. Thanks for all of the replys and PM's guys. Let's try this, is anyone interested in a Friday or Saturday meet and greet/hangout in either Burnet or Liberty Hill? If so, post up and lets hash out some details.

9. Bobjoe

Bobjoe

Dang, Isky and Seatex after the moonshine get together sounds like ya'll might come from Blind Tx. I wana visit. Chit, I think I'ma there now. Here's one for all.

10. isky1843

isky1843

Bobjoe, please install a beathalizer on your keyboard. If the shine caused blindness, I would have learned to read Braille a long time ago;)

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The Jalopy Journal World HQ is in Dripping Springs - the gateway to the hill country... That's what our water tower says anyhow...

12. Austin and there are a lot of HAMB'ers here. Check out the social group. (Austin HAMB'ers

13. I always understood that to be "Drippin", and that they have spiders out that way as big as your head.

14. wideglidejoe

wideglidejoe

Hill Country question.............

I've visited Kerrville, Fredericksburg, and surrounding area a couple of times in the 90's. I'm in the Tulsa, OK area now, and starting to think about where to retire; someplace that's warmer (in the winter) than Tulsa, and the Hill Country has come up in discussion a couple of times.

Any place particularly better? Any place to avoid? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

15. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

I live about a mile from the Jalopy Journal World HQ....,

Ever since this iPhone app, my wife wants to firebomb that place!
    "umm, what did you say honey? I was on the hamb!"

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. Was bornd in Austin and grew up around Canyon Lake,Wimblery, and the Deviles Backbone at the old trailer park just up from the backbone travern. Bought my first model t ford at Baruney and my first harley sporster in Wimberly, sence then have lived all over.wished I could afford to move back maybe someday, but for now I'm Stuck in Oklahoma for another day or two:eek:................Rick

17. billysguitars

billysguitars
    from east texas

Well I don't live in the hill country but will be there next week for the Harvest Classic Motorcycle rally in Luckenbach. Also used to drive out to Dripping Springs from Austin to learn to pick backup guitar from my old buddy Dayton Roberts. But that was about thirty-five or more years back. Still trying to figure out that "G" chord !
    Billy

18. belair

belair

I'm an hour from Burnet, would go back to do HAMBer deal there

19. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

some group puts a show on at the little river park during the Bluebonnet Festival. usually a decent assortment of nice cars.

20. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I have an image of Texas as being all flat and dry. I found a site with images of the Texas Hill Country. Sure is beautiful country.

21. the wife and i may retire there in a few years. we are going to look around next april when we go to the lone star roundup. we are looking for small town, laid back country environment. any ideas or suggestions welcomed.

22. Andy

Andy

I looked all over and chose Kerrville. Nice size, close enough to San Antonio for shopping, good medical and restaurants, beautiful rolling hills and a river running right thru town.

23. swimeasy

swimeasy

I am from San Angelo and that is four hours away but there is not much trad. activity here so I come to Travis, Hays, and Williamson counties at least twice a month, so I kinda belong with my friends there!

24. isky1843

isky1843

Ryan- didn't know the HQ was in Drip. Thats where I grew up and went to school, That was before the town grew up, getting a little crowded now. My folks are still over there but only for another year or so.

To the fellas looking to relocate to the hill country, "this seats taken". Not really I'm just messing around. There are alot of different towns that are simmilar but have completely different "vibes". The area is growing and expanding so much and so fast it is hard to tell what it will be like in another ten years. Best advice is cruise around and talk to people. If you can find the cafe, or gas station where all of the old timers meet and drink coffee in the mornings (every town has one), it will give you a good idea of whats going on there. If you can do this during a week day instead of a weekend it will give you a much better idea. Just my .02

Belair- we will keep in touch and see what comes of this, right now it just looks like the two of us in a parking lot, sitting in lawn chairs. I thought this had the potential to draw some more folks out of the sticks, and still do.

25. isky1843

isky1843

Thom Mead- I am a member of the Austin Hamber group. I like coming in to town every now and then, but it's an hour and fifteen minute drive each way. Just trying to see if there are some people a little closer.

26. Kerrville here. It's amazing how many people want to move out here to "retire". I am always on the roads of the hill country. I travel between Kerrville, Johnson City and Boerne quite a bit. I feel very blessed to live here.

27. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

alot of people who have never been here think its all flat....its not (well not all of it ). Yes the Hill country area is beautiful!

28. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

Check out Boerne...you will love it! ITs a short distance from the big city (San Antonio) if you ever need anything and just far enough away to enjoy the peaceful scenery. Up the road from Boerne is Kerrville which is a great area as well.

29. cosmic12

cosmic12

I lived in Cedar Park/Round Rock/Florance and Austin in the late 70s and all the 80s. Loved the area, so much to do and see. It truly was Gods country, used to love the ride up 2222 to the lake and hang'n at the hot spots. I actully had a body shop on Spicewood Springs Rd.
    Saddly I had to move back up here to the great white north due to a death in the family but I will always remember the wonderful days in the hill country of Austin.
    I will say that I went back 2 years ago and was compeletly lost, when I left Round Rock was about 10miles north on 35 now its part of Austin!:eek:

30. 76cam

76cam

Yep I wake up to that smell everyday..But you do get used to it.