Register now to get rid of these ads!

how many HAMBers are pilots?...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dawg, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuck the original question....How many HAMBers are FIGHTER pilots???? And who's a Navy fighter pilot? Good stuff right there guys. I'd give it ALL to be one

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Why would you want to be out of gas on takeoff? Worse, then have to chase your runway down?

Amateurs. :rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D:D

3. Amateurs? It's all about the "sac". And those guys "sac" up;)

4. I flew the FA/18 Simulator at NAS Lemoore, that's pretty close. :p

5. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Get their minds right, Ernie. The Hercules community needs to get a better PR guy.....

Remember: When the last F-35 goes to the boneyard at D-M, the pilot will get a ride home on a C-130.

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Flitting along at high altitude in the "danger zone" (cue cheesy 80s music) - hah! Bring it down into the rocks & dirt...at night...in the weather - 250ft with help from the radar - 100ft if you can see on your goggles. Fly a 6-deg glideslope down to a 60' wide unlit dirt strip breaking out of the weather around 100ft. Bring the baddest-ass hombres to kick some serious ass directly into the fight.

I fly the Chariot of Armageddon, son. And if your name is Dante, you can climb aboard and fly straight through the bowels of hell...

;):D

If you had said A10 pilots, I'd have offered up the proper respect...:D

No doubt! The last star-lizard crew flew home on a Herk...so will the last Buddha crew

7. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Shows how much I know..........................:eek:

8. 35 Woodie

35 Woodie

I was a Navy A-4 Skyhawk pilot for 5 years. A great little aircraft, so small it did not have folding wings. Here's a pic from 1972 taken at NAS Quonset Point, RI. Ah, to be that age again!:)

Attached Files:

9. VonDad

VonDad

Private Pilot Single Engine Land. June of 87. Not current, but who has $100 an hour to burn anymore? Not this little black duck.

I still love it though. One of the best things I ever did for myself.

VonDad

10. Hogdriver

Hogdriver
    from VA

You can always spot the A-10 guys in a bar. They are the ones trying their hardest to kill that last brain cell and laughing their asses off doing it. We were ugly but well hung. I can attest to this too: If you hit it with that gun it dies. Nothing like slinging 1.57 pound depleted uranium rounds down on their heads at the rate of 60 a second. Makes the gomers think twice about climbing out of their hole.

Bye the way: Did you know the difference between a cockpit and a cactus?....A cactus has the pricks on the outside.

11. storm king

storm king

Been a pilot for about 30 years. First soloed at Destin while stationed at Eglin. Watched the A10 weapons system get developed there too. Was at HQ, USAFE when the first A10's deployed to Germany.
    An excerpt from Bob Stevens, "There I was flat on my back"...
    (sung to the Battle Hymn of the Republic)
    ...FROM THE RING AROUND HIS EYE BALL
    ...YOU CAN TELL A BOMBARIER...
    ...YOU CAN TELL A BOMBER PILOT; FROM THE RING AROUND HIS REAR...
    ...YOU CAN TELL A NAVIGATOR; BY HIS SEXTANTS, MAPS, AND SUCH...
    ...YOU CAN TELL A FIGHTER PILOT: BUT YOU CAN'T TELL HIM MUCH!
    The best military aviation humor book ever compiled.

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you guys who flew for us, hats off to ya!! I would have joined but I had health problems and bad eyesight so they wouldn't let me. I flew little planes until I moved down here in 91, but then never got back into it, with my inner ear problems probably won't again either. :(

13. I spent a few hours in a Pitts S2B trying to emulate A10 butterfly flight patterns and those guys is crazy!

The majority of my hours in the air were in a Herc kicking guys out the back door at high altitude and sitting the vehicles we were transporting!

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  14. Grumbler

Grumbler

Yeah, I'm a mechanic and have a little "off the record" time in the right seat on maintenance test flights, BAE-146, CRJ-900.
    So how come.....since pilots make more money they are some of the cheapest pricks around. Always mooching meals, and buy the next round? Not fucking likely.....

15. Lizard

Lizard
    from Benson Az

[​IMG]
    Been flying this 1947 Cessna for 11 years now, she has become part of the family.Also big reason my latest hot rod project is going so slow.
    Spending a Saturday flying low over the southwest is just pure fun.
    Photo is on RT66 Peach Springs AZ.

16. 36tbird

36tbird

Grumbler, that is a mystery. One way to suspect that an airline pilot is an impersonator is if you see him/her buying a newspaper. Real airline pilots can be found looking through the trash cans for their newspapers.;)

Show you how old I am, I flew F-8 Crusaders back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

17. Grumbler

Grumbler

Q: How can you tell a pilot at the beach?
    A: He has the biggest watch and the smallest dick

Q: How can you tell a pilot at a party?
    A: Don't worry, he'll tell you.

"Once you've slept with maintenance you'll never go back to a pilot"

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  18. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

"If man was ment to fly his bones would be as hollow as his head"

Medically retired Freight Dog & CFI/CFII...

19. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I'm the one who fixes what you guys screw up....A&P!

20. This is Betsey my Cessna 414 I have a multi engine instrument ticket.

Attached Files:

21. Don's 55

Don's 55

Here is a YouTube of a UPS DC8 landing in Santa Ana winds in Ontario, CA.
    When the winds would kick up here the pilots would make a couple approaches to see if they can make it in. After one or two tries they would divert to LAX.
    I work for UPS in aircraft maintenance, one night after listening to these pilots on the radio try an make it in, and then go to LAX, one of the planes made it in. One of the other mechanics says....
    "Must be a Navy pilot"
    FWIW the DC8 is a great airplane, built like a bridge. Took a "Real" pilot to fly it too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow96LeEQSBI

22. jurassicgto

jurassicgto

With all due respect. Navy pilots get the benefit of the boat steering into the wind. The best pilots I've ever seen are the Air Force RC-135 guys landing in Shemya, Alaska. Winds were normally at or beyond the limits for landing. These guys had certain pilots checked out to land the airplane beyond the crosswind limitation of the airplane. They would land on one side of the runway and let the wind push them to the other side of the runway by the time they could stop. I sat in the right seat for one of these landings. A real eye opener. There are crosswind limitations on the airplanes for reasons. After so much bank and opposite rudder, wing tips and engines hit the ground. Then real bad stuff happens after that.

23. 36tbird

36tbird

I'm sure that you are correct in your admiration of those 135 guys. However, as a former tail-hooker, let me clarify a couple of things for you that I do not think you realize. First, off, the ship does what it damn well pleases to do and sometimes that means you ain't getting the wind straight down the deck. The other point is, take a look at the angled deck of today's modern carrier. Now, as the ship goes forward, that angle is constantly moving away from an aircraft on final. Therefore, a pilot on final is constantly having to correct for line up while dealing with glideslope and airspeed/power control. So, pleez, don't be espousing that idea that Navy guys are always landing on a runway where there is no crosswind or crosswind type of corrections required.:eek:

24. with.disdain

with.disdain

I've got Private ASEL, Tailwheel, and Complex. I'm one cross-country away from a instrument checkride and about 20 hours or so for a commercial.

The El Mirage project waits quietly for the aviation disease to run its course. Every flight in a Super Decathlon pushes the 4-wheeled dreams further away.

25. Kramer

Kramer

The wife of a former boss of mine did. Cured the problem.

26. Had the Hot-Tub flyin last night !! Does that count ?? >>>>.

27. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Since 1983.............SEL with Instrument Rating and a fair amount of complex and tail wheel time........

Ray

29. I bring more and more car parts home and pilot up in the basement....

30. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

ASEL. A&P. IA (lapsed in '93) DME (lapsed in '94)
    Medical isn't current, I play with cars now.

My PA22 in '85.
    Patches 1985 first purchased.jpg

Did a complete rebuild with Ceconite.
    Patches  1985.jpg

Added stripes and wheel pants.
    Patches with stripes and wheel pants.jpg

During the rebuild a friend/pilot bought half intrest, (Dave) and we flew her to the big fly-in at Oshkosh in '86.
    Went again in '88 with(Hank). Camped under the wings in tents. Hell of a good time. Great show. I've been a half dozen times, will return.

You can't have too much gas; (unless you're on the ground or on fire)

I knew one of the last Cavalry Pile'its. Fort Crook Mule Barn, Omaha Nebraska.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.