Register now to get rid of these ads!

how many HAMBers are pilots?...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dawg, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imnezrider

imnezrider

Private ticket summer of 1980. Most of my early lessons in a Grumman AA-5A Cheetah that I bought for that purpose. I was 45 years old when I walked into the flight school. Soloed in 8.1 hours. Childhood dream realized. Later owned a C172 and after that a C182. Stopped flying in 1991, but started again 2 years ago...stopped again 6 months ago. I guess it's done now, but I wouldn't trade those hours for anything.

2. jurassicgto

jurassicgto

KC-135's -A's and R's in the Air Force. 727's DC-10's and now MD-11's for Fedex. Driving my GTO is more fun!

3. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I do car parts, I pilot, I pile stuff over there I pile it over here

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I guess I overlooked this one when it was first up.

Flyer of the Handsome, High-performance C-130 Hercules. About 4000 hour before I was put out to pasture. Damn, I miss it.....

5. orange52

orange52

Its on my ToDo list, I just haven't made it a priority yet.

I used to jump out of the C130 Hercules that AnimalAin is talking about though

6. Blown35

Blown35

Yes - ticket in 1982 - high performance single - no longer active - but flying a 1800hp single still is vivid in my mind!

7. Mercchev

Mercchev

Lots and lots of time blowing up bad guys in F/A-18's, now bored out of my mind in 727's at FedEx. Pays the bills and gives me time to play with cars, so I don't have anything to complain about. Just wish I could find a 10 car garage with a small house attached to it...

8. Didnt know that, had heard of it. When I was in the AKARNG, used our Sikorsky CH 54 Bs to air lift a PBY from Dago Lake to Lake Hood for the Trans musiem there. Was still there last summer. Will see if I can find some pics of the Airlift.

9. Hahaha... another perpetual Student!

But that "Student Ticket" gave me the opportunity to fly or ride in aircraft that people could only dream about... T-6, T-28, T-33, T-37, P-51's, B-25's, Albatross, Duck, Chipmunk, Beaver, Otter, L-4 Cub, L29, many different Cessnas, DC-3, to Ultralites!

Got my ticket after 15 years as a Student... kind of Like how some people get their college degree....

This is what I call a short field exercise!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bPSElw8qEsI?list=PL1E4AE7397B9F2A43" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  10. psyco50

psyco50
    from Pomona,ca

That's pretty cool, I've always had an interest in aviation, anybody fly commercially ? Shit is amazing watchin a dc-10, 747 or any big plane for that matter getting off the ground.

11. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

My grandfather wanted me to be one... 37 years later I'm starting.
    I seem to have it backwards though building the plane first before the license.

After reading about the K.C. Dawn Patrol realized I could build a WWI repliplane on the cheap. Helps that this guy lives close: http://www.airdromeairplanes.com

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZHmqUXKaAk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZHmqUXKaAk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

12. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Soloed in 1959. 6800 hours. Commercial, but never flew for money. Except for one dollar I made Old Don at Marlboro (Mass.) airport pay me. Also, A&P-IA and EAA for many, many years.

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I'm no longer a pilot, I did fly some ultralights and powered parachutes a long time ago, but it's probably been 20 years. I have a balance problem with my ears now, so i can't bank without becoming disoriented. everything will just start spinning. I can't even fly as a passenger anymore. Now I build airplane parts, just got called back to work. Now I need to figure out how to catch up these bills, been laid off on and off for the last year. but back to making parts Monday

14. Once a pilot always a pilot! ;)

15. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

a pilot who can't bank an airplane anymore. I never did the complex stuff, just the basic stick and rudder flying, where I grew up there was a grass strip cut out of the woods, where we had some cub drivers and some Luscombe drivers. In those days it was no big deal for them to show you the basics ,not because they got paid, but because they wanted to. with my family history I'm more then likely to end up with diabetes anyway, even if I get my balance problem corrected someday. that kills my medical, there's always sport pilot though. The last time I went up with someone, my head was spinning so bad they had to land, doesn't bother my stomach but i can't get oriented.

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The four fans of freedom, baby! :D

17. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Been around airplanes my whole life, came home from the hospital after birth in a C-54. Been flying since the 70's. Retired from Skywest. Can't remember how many airplanes I have owned, my first was a Luscombe 8A, 1571K. Here is my current ride.

Attached Files:

18. Not a pilot , but the family owns an airport strip and I work in the Aviation field, does that count?

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

has anyone else ever had the surgery to correct a balance problem? it's got so bad I have to slow way down going around steep curved freeway ramps. no more flying, no more bikes, and walking with a somewhat list to the left.

20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Does this count?

Attached Files:

21. OK, that is downright impressive! Almost VTOL!

As a former grunt, I want to thank you military boys, some of you might have even flown my ass around!

22. My first plane was an 11AC Chief, love those old 65 horse taildraggers.:D My Dad had a Champ he uesd to park on the front lawn of our house growing up, always liked Aeronca. ;)

[​IMG]

23. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

whats ironic is I now work in an aircraft factory and almost no one knows I used to fly, my wife doesn't even know I was a pilot. bad subject I guess snce I can't do it anymore until I get my inner ear corrected if it can be corrected.

24. upperwhitetrash

upperwhitetrash

Not a pilot, But before starting my own business, 12 years ago, I worked for an airline co. On 3rd shift. The guys who maintained the flight simulators would let me come over and taught me how to fly a DC-9 a DC-8 and a 767 simulator. Oh yeah.... My buddy is Jerry Springers personal pilot though!!!

25. Got to fly the Boeing 767 flight simulator once. My brother works there and got some sort of award and he got to bring 3 people in with him to have a little fun.

I set her down hard a couple of times and taxied into a building. Probably should keep my feet on the ground.

26. Adam Bahm

Adam Bahm

Thirty years now, There is nothing like your first solo. Learn in a tail dragger if you can, Hay hollywood, I built a weedhopper in 1984, and its still the most fun flyin' I do.

27. rustyhood

rustyhood

This is some great stuff, I did an introductory flight at Dahio airport when I was 14. Always loved aviation but never got a license. Wish now I had persued it.

28. Put my Aeronca down on a county road once just to go visit a buddy. Had to block a couple of cars just to take off again. My friend said the cops were looking for me after that. Riiight! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

29. Root66

Root66
    from Norcal

Been a pilot since '82, I've owned three aircraft, a C-150, a PA28-140 and a PA28R-200. PPSEL, A&P.

Attached Files:

30. tinguy

tinguy

Started flying J3s in 1952. Too young to solo. Soloed in 1956. Still flying tail draggers, building 50s' customs and loving accapella Do-Wop. Presently own a Decathalon and a Kit Fox I built. Also have several hundred hours in hang gliders. Carry on!
    Tinguy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.